Your site's rank on Google search

It's nice when it happens but let's be realistic there are that many websites out there and only a few lines on most search engines first page, we're not going to all fit :D

You can't really say, "My site is on page 1". Whether or not it is depends entirely on the search term used to find it.

If you search for {name of your site} and that name is fairly unique, you'll probably show up on page 1 - but who is going to search for that?

If you search for your domain, you'll also be on page 1 but no one will search for that either.

My site is number 4, but I say number 2 because it's after all the official game website URL's.
Searching Anthem or Anthem game I wasn't able to find your site. Searching Anthem Forum you showed up as the 5th result, it will differ from what results it gives you because you visit the site.

Btw - you may want to turn off debug mode..

Searching Anthem or Anthem game I wasn't able to find your site. Searching Anthem Forum you showed up as the 5th result, it will differ from what results it gives you because you visit the site.

Btw - you may want to turn off debug mode..

Searching "anthem forums" gives me the 4th result.

Screenshot_20190226-102810_Chrome.webp

But yes, with "anthem forum" it gives me the 5th.

I'm going to have a huge pagerank challenge with my next launch - domain competing in exact terms with a US Navy nuclear recruitment program's acronym!

I'm going to have a huge pagerank challenge with my next launch - domain competing in exact terms with a US Navy nuclear recruitment program's acronym!
No you are not. Pay attention.

Ranking for your domain name is not ranking at all.

Ranking for your content is what matters.

Please read what I have said above.

Well maybe not. It's hard to rank forums these days. But your domain name has next to nothing to do with it.
Yeah, I am talking about only the search which involves people searching the donain name/site name itself, with no trailing 'dot com" or any such. If they're doing that, I might be lucky to show up on page 5 of that search due to the Navy having a program with that exact acronym. As I originally stated but maybe not in such verbose terms.

As far as searches for the niche, as the OP qualifies, who knows? I try to target the term/terms most people use that I think will direct them to my site. It doesn't do you any good to be #1 on the first page of a search term nobody uses. But I am pretty sure people might be searching the name and if so they're going to have a hard time finding me that way.

Who is going to search for your domain besides you?
Folks who see the name bandied about, or hear of it.

Getting the forum I recently sold on the front page was tough. I targeted the terms "dallas cowboys forum" and "forums" after I bought the site, which was NO rank anywhere at all at the time. Lots and lots of competition in that niche with anything attached to that team name. How many people are going to be searching those terms? It turned out to be quite a lot. But if you cannot get your site's name on the first page of the name search? Seems very basic to me. It's going to be very challenging to break the Navy's grip on that term search.

Getting the forum I recently sold on the front page was tough. I targeted the terms "dallas cowboys forum" and "forums" after I bought the site, which was NO rank anywhere at all at the time. Lots and lots of competition in that niche with anything attached to that team name. How many people are going to be searching those terms? It turned out to be quite a lot. But if you cannot get your site's name on the first page of the name search? Seems very basic to me. It's going to be very challenging to break the Navy's grip on that term search.

But "dallas cowboys" or "allas cowboys forum" is not your domain. It's a legitimate search term.

dallascowboysforum.com or dallayscowboysforum are domain names - people will not search for those.

But "dallas cowboys" or "allas cowboys forum" is not your domain. It's a legitimate search term.

dallascowboysforum.com or dallayscowboysforum are domain names - people will not search for those.
Yeah I'm not talking dot com or any such. I'm talking site name, made that clear for those who were paying attention.

If you can't get your site name on the front page of searches you have an essential problem, I would think.

Getting "dallas cowboys universe" on the first page of search terms "dallas cowboys forum" or "forums" was the first essential challenge. I wasn't at all worried about search term "dallas cowboys" or any site searches using dot com and such. I wanted to target people who were looking for forums on the subject.

Getting my NEW site on the first page when its name is an acronym used by Navy recruiting, will be tough. They're 10 pages deep on it right now, on every engine.

Is your site on Google's first page when you do a search for your particular niche and do you even care?
For one site, "Yes" and "Yes". For another site, "No, not even close! :LOL:" and "Yes".

Something to keep in mind, though, is what @djbaxter is talking about, is what search terms are being targeted. If something as simple as your own site's name then, yeah, you should be showing up on page 1 but if you're targeting more general keyword search then that's a bit harder so you really need to narrow down and define what keyword searches are your potential members likely to search for and then concentrate on that.

Top Bottom