XF 1.5 DCMA takedown notice...from Google Search (involves XF proxy)

Wildcat Media

Here's a strange one!

First of all, yes...this is a legitimate Google email.

Second of all, yes...this site is still using 1.5 but within the next couple of weeks will be running 2.2.

Anyway, this arrived a few hours ago:

1711553120353.webp

Clcking the link results in this (third party XF theme):

1711553313894.webp

The reported URL references the XF link proxy. The type of content linked to is something that would never be posted on the forum. Or if it was, it would have promptly been removed as spam. I did a search on the forum and can't even find any reference to "Skye Fox" (who/whatever that is).

Thing is, we do not have the link proxy enabled on the forum...

1711553782182.webp

I can't recall if we may have had it enabled at one point but if so, 1) it was only briefly and 2) it would have been a few years ago. Nonetheless, the xf_link_proxy and xf_link_proxy_referrer tables are empty.

Is there a way that the proxy system is being exploited, coming from outside the forum? It's not really an exploit but on the other hand, it's like an unauthorized use of the URL.

I renamed the proxy.php file (as we have no intention of using it) for the time being to stop this from happening, and hopefully Google will notice and this notice will go away when they crawl the forum again and it results in a 404. Not worrying too much about this issue since we'll be away from 1.5 very soon. But it makes me wonder how many other links are out there that attempt to use our proxy.

It appears this won't work in 2.2 as I tried the same URL using another forum and get {"invalid":true} as the response.

Top Bottom