1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yahoo Mail Registration Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by phaze3131, May 9, 2013.

1. phaze3131

phaze3131 Active Member

I tried registering using yahoo mail, but no confirmation email, also asked a friend to register but same no confirmation. Not in the inbox or spam folder.

I tried with a custom email, gmail and hotmail, no problem with the confirmation. So I guess only yahoo mail. Anyone having the same problem? Solutions?
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. phaze3131

phaze3131 Active Member

Just did, it's not a problem with the host.
    . [​IMG]

So looks like a Xeno problem. It's strange that only yahoomail but no problem with other email client. Is this a common problem? Anyone had the same problem before? What to do? Need help..
  4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Nope... not an xF problem... just registered on my forum using my yahoo email and got this
  5. phaze3131

phaze3131 Active Member

Hmm. Strange.. Wonder what's causing the problem in my forum. It's not with the host also.
  6. Tracy Perry

Don't EVER bet on that. What hosting service are you using?
    Could Yahoo be blocking your email due to your IP being on a blacklist?
    What is the IP (or domain) of your site?
    This is what my postfix mail log showed for my VPS
    May  9 23:46:51 twowheeldemon postfix/pickup[13870]: C02D91F390: uid=33 from=<webmaster@twowheeldemon.com>
    May  9 23:46:51 twowheeldemon postfix/cleanup[14306]: C02D91F390: message-id=<20130510044651.C02D91F390@twowheeldemon.com>
    May  9 23:46:51 twowheeldemon postfix/qmgr[3314]: C02D91F390: from=<webmaster@twowheeldemon.com>, size=4252, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    May  9 23:46:53 twowheeldemon postfix/smtp[14308]: C02D91F390: to=<tracydeanperry@yahoo.com>, relay=mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[]:25, delay=2, delays=0.02/0/0.86/1.1, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok dirdel)
  7. phaze3131

phaze3131 Active Member

Hostgator.. I'll talk with them again. Thanks for the help.
  8. Tracy Perry

What is the domain or IP... I can check to see if it's blacklisted real quick.
  9. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

I've been looking at this for a little bit now and those messages make me believe it's a server/host configuration error somewhere. I've not experienced this issue in any manner and members with Yahoo! mail accounts only get bit by our mails getting dumped in the spam/junk mail folder from time-to-time.

Are you using SMTP to send mail or the default method?
  10. Tracy Perry

First two things to check... the area that ENF referred to... and then the blacklisting. I'll assume you are going to check that since you didn't provide your IP or domain.
    Sometimes helping out can be like
    resize_1367488773_uploads_images_1799a395e37a1700210a7cf94873e811_jpg_610x0_100.png :D
  11. Tracy Perry

The second link above relates that they DO use Spamhaus... so if your IP is blacklisted that is probably why you are not able to send the mail.

The snippets that you showed are not your full log for your email. If the mail is successfully being delivered you should see an SMTP confirmation code similar to "250 ok dirdel" that indicates your message has been delivered.
    That last portion is direct from the first link I posted above.
  12. phaze3131

phaze3131 Active Member

Most likely, if others here are not having problems. using default.

Here's the domain http://prepaidcellforum.com. Forum is new and still in construction..

Appreciate the help.
  13. Tracy Perry

Your IP is listed on 2 blacklists... but I don't know if Yahoo uses them or not. It is NOT listed at Spamhaus.
    phaze3131 likes this.
  14. phaze3131

phaze3131 Active Member

I see, so that's probably the reason. Hmm. Can I ask my host to change IP? It could fix the problem.
  15. Tracy Perry

I know recently we had a new forum owner have problems with FaceBook not allowing connections (apparently because of being in the blacklist). Their host changed their IP to a clean one and they had no further problems. It's worth getting into a chat on their support page and asking. The two that are listed are not major blacklists (well, apnews.org is not a minor one) - and they probably aren't causing the problem, but I would eliminate all chances.
  16. Tracy Perry

With it only being yahoo, odds are his IP is blacklisted since the others work OK. I would still like to also see the full log text for the attempts to see if it is even being successfully delivered.
    phaze3131 likes this.
  17. phaze3131

phaze3131 Active Member

so it's possible. I will give it a try and let you know if it works.. Thanks for the help.
  18. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

TBH, if you were getting blocked, you should be getting more specific messages about mail to Yahoo accounts being deferred.

Fun little note: Yahoo's own severs are listed in Spamhaus. (i.e., xen.spamhaus.org & xbl.spamhaus.org)

I'm not convinced that Yahoo is actively blocking your domain/IP.
  19. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I've experienced similar issues with Yahoo before and it seems they practice tarpitting - which means that if your board sends a lot of email to Yahoo addresses they will occasionally mark your IP address as a potential spammer (presumably this is automated based on variables of time/volume of emails/subject lines etc.).

I feel foul of this, in particular, with the Forum Watch add-on at CycleChat - which emailed members when new threads were added to selected forums; along with all the other emails that CycleChat generated, it seemed this additional load tripped the tarpitting at Yahoo and people were seeing long delays before their emails eventually arrived.

Check your SMTP logs - I was getting ... 451 Message temporarily deferred.

I'm not suggesting this is the case for you, just offering another thing you can look at (since you mentioned it's Yahoo only). If you've got a busy board and lots of members using Yahoo email addresses it might be worth looking into:

Shaun :D