1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Yahoo mail service handles emails from the forum as spam

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by SuchMuch, Mar 29, 2016.

1. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

I'm fed up with messages non delivered just to stupid yahoo mail service...

***qte***
    SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<admin@my_xenforo_forum_mail> SIZE=17976:
    host mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [188.125.69.79]:
    421 4.7.0 [TS02] Messages from 77.222.41.85 temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.56.1; see Postmaster | SLN3326 - Error: "421 4.7.0 [TS02] Messages from x.x.x.x temporarily deferred - 4.16.56.1":
    retry timeout exceeded
    ***unqte***

What tactics would be the best in this case?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That would suggest your server IP address has been placed on a Yahoo blacklist of some sort due to recipients marking emails as spam or unwanted/unsolicited.

3. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

Ok. What should I do then?

4. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

Should I just ignore or forbid upcoming registrations with yahoo mail?

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Tell your users to quit marking your forum messages as spam? ;)
    That's ultimately why that is happening if they are going by "user complaints".

Did you by chance go to that link?
    If it's issue #1, it's out of your control short of
    1. getting a dedicated IP or
    2. getting a VPS/dedi with a dedicated IP and serving your mail from there or
    3. paying for something like Mandril or other SMTP service that has a good reputation

6. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

How? It's already done as far as I understand... And it happens with yahoo emails only.
    How can I prevent users registering with yahoo emails?

7. Tracy Perry

yoursite.com/admin.php?banning/emails and put *yahoo.com (and any derivatives thereof) in there.

SuchMuch likes this.
  8. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

In order to whitelist your forum URL and allow email to go through without issue, you need to contact the Yahoo postmaster using this link and fill out all the fields.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/bulkv2.html

SuchMuch likes this.
  9. Tracy Perry

Which I've found did absolutely nothing to resolve the issue when it crops up. Most of said information that they want on that form will not be available (easily) to the person submitting it that is on shared hosting. It will work for those that are on a VPS/dedi with nons-shared IP's.... but on a shared IP you are still at the mercy of the hosting provider

10. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

If it doesn't help, yahoo emails will be just blocked ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  11. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

That's not a viable solution.

SuchMuch, are you on a shared host?

12. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

Yes, I'm on shared host

13. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

I just called GoDaddy and they offer a dedicated IP for their Ultimate Shared Hosting package for an additional $12.00 a month. However you really should consider a VPS hosting.

14. Tracy Perry

The Forum Heroes and AndyB like this.
  15. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

Thnks everyone for solutions advised! Until my forum is large I'm not moving to a VPS and not spending money for separate static IP/paid mail services etc. I'll just cut this yahoo out. I'll notify users and hope they'll understand.

16. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

Would you pls adv where list of yahoo derivatives could be found?

17. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

I will never understand why people spend $130.00 on software and then try to cut corners like this. Not using quality hosting or blocking major mail providers from registering, your site will never grow large. As a forum member, if a forum owner told me they couldn't allow my main e-mail account to be used, honestly I'd just move on.. A lot of people only have one e-mail account, your expecting them to create another somewhere else just to be a part of your site. Use Mailgun.. it's not expensive and you'll thank us later.

wang and AndyB like this.
  18. wang

wang Well-Known Member

I fully agree with this. Hosting is as important as the software that you are using, if not more important.

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  19. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

I have contacted my hoster and they are sorting this issue out with yahoo. Having only 100 Members on forum it's not reasonable to use Mailgun and other services

AndyB likes this.