1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF Search Engine

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Hornstar, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Hornstar

Hornstar Well-Known Member

First thread here ^^

Anyway I was just testing out the search Engine here on XF. Comparing it to VB and hoping it is better.

I thought I would search for 'seo' as that was a topic of interest ^^

Unfortunately it came back with: "The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common."

I was wondering are there improvements yet to be made to the search engine here or is this just one of those things that can't be fixed?

What do you all think of the search functionality so far?

2. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

simply, for my experience, the users don't like the search tools ... you must teach them for this ... so that trouble for me isn't very important ... also you can try to put in your board a similar threads feature, it's the same thing, the users just ignore it ...

3. Floris

Floris Guest

Full Text MySQL search is what it is using. And works fine for me, but it's not a big forum yet, time will tell, also when I have more experience with it than I do now.

Hey hornstar :) Welcome to XF !

4. mlx

mlx Well-Known Member

I think the default minimum word length for MySQL full text indexes is 4 characters. I guess that's why there's no match for "seo".

If you have root access you can change that in your my.cnf though.

Or you could use Sphinx and fine tune your sphinx.conf.

5. jacko

jacko Active Member

Is there any way to make xenforo search for words 3 characters long?

I would like to be able to search for strings like: "ssl eq" or "dbx 160"

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

As mlx posted above, you would need to change the MySQL configuration file:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html

7. jacko

jacko Active Member

what about "ssl eq" or "dbx 160"? these strings are longer than 3 characters

8. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Suppose it depends on the kind of forum as to whether the 4 char limit would be an issue. I can def see the issue on forums such as this and tech related forums where they are plenty of 3 char keywords like php, sql, net, xml etc but I wouldnt have thought it would be an issue for most. Personally I dont mind the search on here at all.

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's a pretty big problem on my forum due to all the TLA's :D

FIA, WDC, WCC, etc.

Marc likes this.
  10. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

LMFAO ... Ok, good call LOL

11. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

the 4 letter thing can be annoying for sure.
    just today i was wanting to search '/ip-1/' and found i couldnt.
    thankfully google can (although it found nothing)

12. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

In addition to that, you will probably need to restart the MySQL server and rebuild your search index after making the change:

Admin CP -> Tools -> Rebuild Caches -> Rebuild Search Index

Marcus and Dean like this.
  13. ddmmh

ddmmh Well-Known Member

Hi Jake,

Would I be better of setting up the sphinx search engine or leaving it as is and editing the my.cnf? Cheers

14. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Fulltext is easier, unless you need sphinx.

Darkimmortal and Dean like this.
  15. TimWF

TimWF Active Member

Are the above instructions on how to enable three character search still valid? Or is there something beyond what is stated here, possibly a Xenforo setting of some sort?

16. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

While using MySQL FullText, it is not possible for XenForo to set a character limit smaller than that specified by the MySQL configuration. You would need to follow the instructions posted above.

17. TimWF

TimWF Active Member

Thanks Kier, to clarify though, is there any setting in XenForo that must be changed manually after making those MySQL setting changes? In our case we have made MySQL fulltext char limit min changes, re-indexed, etc. and we don't see the results we expect. Thanks again!

18. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Looks like there's a minimum word length setting in library/XenForo/Search/SourceHandler/MySqlFt.php (line 20). That should be pulled from an option I think.

19. TimWF

TimWF Active Member

Excellent, thanks Mike, that did the trick editing that value there. :)

I'll also submit a change request based on this as it is a bit problematic to have that as a hard coded setting, it would be great to have it as something set in the admin are so that it doesn't need to be altered whenever that file is overwritten in an upgrade.

Thanks again!

20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Comment out or delete this line?

protected $_minWordLength = 4;