XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Yes it is. They have a style called material. It's part of the u.i.x 2 theme. It's nice but can be messy if not used correctly.
it's a child theme of u.i.x2
“Material” is essentially a design methodology invented by Google.

Many others have used material design as a methodology for their own themes/styles across many different websites, frameworks and themes for various software.

The theme we were using on the documentation before hadn’t aged well and had parts that weren’t working as they should because of various updates over the years. Moving to the Material theme for MKDocs was fairly painless and brought some usability enhancements that should make ti easier to use and work with in the future.

UI.X and its child styles do not, and have never supported MkDocs
No they haven't but that particular style is messy to work with.

It's one of those that would work well on wordpress.
For a blog or something.
But as for trying to change the colours you also change the colours of the main one which makes it messy.

If that style you're using for MKDocs is Material...
Then how's it going to marry up with the new style you throw at us when you're ready with the new version?
Is it going to look similar to what we have now or is it going to be more like what i'm currently using on my forum which is xenbase?
Or is it just going to stay the same?

It has me really intrigued.

The styling of XF.com (the home page), the documentation and the forum software are all independent from one another. The only somewhat consistent thing across them all is the colour palette.

Ultimately what I’m trying to say is changes to any one of those three sites isn’t necessarily driven by planned changes elsewhere. If we change the docs, we’re not necessarily changing the home page or the forum. If we change the forum, we don’t necessarily have to change the docs, or the home page etc.

The styling of XF.com (the home page), the documentation and the forum software are all independent from one another. The only somewhat consistent thing across them all is the colour palette.

Ultimately what I’m trying to say is changes to any one of those three sites isn’t necessarily driven by planned changes elsewhere. If we change the docs, we’re not necessarily changing the home page or the forum. If we change the forum, we don’t necessarily have to change the docs, or the home page etc.
Ok that makes more sense.
vBulletin's connect 5 has about 10 styles.
Next question from me are you guys planning on making a couple more styles for us to use for ourselves?

I ask because i want to eliminate my theory bit by bit!
Ever since this thread has started we've had various theories being shut down.

Last edited:
Next question from me are you guys planning on making a couple more styles for us to use for ourselves?
In over a decade, they've offered one style. Last data point indicates they will offer a dark style.
So, you have input for at least 2 styles offered. Wanting them to support more than 2 dedicated styles are somewhat unrealistic. There are PLENTY of style developers out there to support custom styles, and it's easy enough to change colors that, as Geico says, even a caveman can do it. So what would be the actual point of offering a few different "colorized" styles? Most people buy/download other styles because of framework additions, not simple color changes that are easily controlled in the palette choices.

Last edited:
I am surprised that Xenforo still allows this thread and doesn't delete it entirely. Every time I see it bumped I am surprised. If I was a new customer coming looking for forum software and I saw this post, I would assume this many customers complaining, and the lack of communication from the devs I would assume this is dead software and look elsewhere. From a business standpoint I wonder how many customers they have already lost from people doing the same thing?
Actually, nobody cares. Everyone knows XenForo. It is the leader among forum software. It would be nonsense for someone thinking of buying it because of a topic to give up.

My maintenance is coming due but if hold off a bit longer, I can do it and my hosting at the same time. Those are our only ongoing expenses so no need to spread them out or anything.

Let's talk rival sites for a minute.

Don't know if any of you have had a look at vBulletin's new site.
It used to be old and complex but it did the job for many for years until xenforo came along.

Don't know if this will be looked at all or even spoken about but talking about styles vBulletin has about 10 built in styles to help us use.

So i'm going to post up vbulletin's support forum just to show you what it looks like with all the new styles.

See how much better it's going to look if in the future xenforo went down that path.

Instead of these sort of threads i saw something on that above mentioned forum talking about features that people like to see in the newer versions.

Just an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom