XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably should do that.

Why, I'm not getting anything new for it.

That's also the whole point, not renewing is bad for business.
You have to keep your customers loyal to you so you have a continuing cash flow. As long as 2.3 is not coming I will not renew my license either. I hope there will soon be monthly updates and upgrades. This may keep several licensees waiting too.

In short: This just costs money and the longer it takes for a release of 2.3, the more interesting alternatives become.

Why, I'm not getting anything new for it.

That's also the whole point, not renewing is bad for business.
You have to keep your customers loyal to you so you have a continuing cash flow. As long as 2.3 is not coming I will not renew my license either. I hope there will soon be monthly updates and upgrades. This may keep several licensees waiting too.

In short: This just costs money and the longer it takes for a release of 2.3, the more interesting alternatives become.
You will lose support if you don't renew

You will lose support if you don't renew
Until you do renew. We once went something like 2 years without paying maintenance (due to no one really paying attention to it, not deliberately) and when I took over managing Xenforo and wanted to update it, I just paid the maintenance and went to town. Even now, I tend to wait until I need it to do an update rather than renewing right on the expiry date. And you do keep your access to the forums for community support, you just lose the ability to open tickets.

There was just a flurry of Bugbot messages this morning so I imagine we've got progress happening on 2.2.13.

Let's talk rival sites for a minute.

Don't know if any of you have had a look at vBulletin's new site.
It used to be old and complex but it did the job for many for years until xenforo came along.

Don't know if this will be looked at all or even spoken about but talking about styles vBulletin has about 10 built in styles to help us use.

So i'm going to post up vbulletin's support forum just to show you what it looks like with all the new styles.
Those are not new styles, they are for the most part colour variations based on the default style which have been around for years and as far as I'm aware, they have never been made available to license holders.

Personally I think there are far more important things to be addressed in 2.3. There are literally hundreds of alternative styles already available from professional design studios if you want a new look.

Aussie, mate, I know you mean it well but you are misinformed in some cases. I see that some people bullied you and made fun of you, but you keep making it too easy for them by dishing out wrong statements.

If your license expires, it only means that you don't get new updates anymore and no official support from the official channels (ticket support). But your license expiring doesn't mean it is not a valid license. An invalid license would mean someone is using a nulled license or his license got revoked by XF because of a breach. Expiry is not a breach. Otherwise the second our licenses expire, it would mean we all are running our communities with an invalid license.

Therefore with an expired license you can get support from the community. That channel is always open and was always open. But to have the community support access, you must have had in the past at least for once a non-expired license (a.k.a when you bought it at the beginning). After that if your license expires, you still have the access to support forums. Just like I have right now.

Last edited:
Aussie, mate, I know you mean it well but you are misinformed in some cases. I see that some people bullied you and made fun of you, but you keep making it too easy for them by dishing out wrong statements.

If your license expires, it only means that you don't get new updates anymore and no official support from the official channels (ticket support). But your license expiring doesn't mean it is not a valid license. An invalid license would mean someone is using a nulled license or his license got revoked by XF because of a breach. Expiry is not a breach. Otherwise the second our licenses expire, it would mean we all are running our communities with an invalid license.

Therefore with an expired license you can get support from the community. That channel is always open and was always open. But to have the community support access, you must have had in the past at least for once a non-expired license (a.k.a when you bought it at the beginning). After that if your license expires, you still have the access to support forums. Just like I have right now.
From what i've been told both via email from xenforo is that you miss out on support from the forums because your license isn't valid. Also you cannot upgrade.
let it expire if you wish to. you will have minimum access to the forum because they say in the description that you won't be able to access it without a valid licence.
Been there done that myself.
just upgraded the licence from another forum that i might bring over from vbulletin. Just waiting on the new version to drop first.

You absolutely do not loose access to the forums if your license is expired.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

With no valid licence you won't be able to do that either
There is a difference between a valid license and an active license. ANYONE with a valid license (even if it's not current) is able to participate on the forum for help. The only things they can't do is download new versions and submit tickets.
From what i've been told both via email from xenforo is that you miss out on support from the forums because your license isn't valid. Also you cannot upgrade.
Then you were incorrectly informed or you misunderstood what you were told. I went for about 2 years (from 2.1.x to 2.2.11) without an active (but it was valid) license and if you check my posting history, you will see I was active here during that time, even in the customer support areas.

Then why does this email you guys sent me saying support and upgrades expire soon?

I have already renewed.
just showing some evidence in it so you and others can clarify it
A55FF883-3A7C-4463-A8B5-AF868D71F17B.webp

Nothing in that email contradicts anything anyone has said in relation to this.

An expired license is still valid and community based support is still available on the forum.

VersionRelease dateDuration
1.0[8]March 8, 2011N/A
1.1[10]November 22, 2011259 days
1.2[12]July 30, 2013616 days
1.3[17]March 11, 2014224 days
1.4[19]September 9, 2014182 days
1.5[21]August 18, 2015343 days
2.0[23]November 28, 2017833 days
2.1[25]January 30, 2019428 days
2.2[27]September 29, 2020608 days
2.3N/A913 days+

XenForo 2.3 has officially surpassed the duration between 1.5 and 2.0 versions (y)

It has been officially two and a half years since the last major release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom