XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 2 1/2 years, I expect major advancements.
So would I... and I'd give you the common refrain about two hands and examining them. .but apparently that would offend the finer sensibilities of the staff here and go against the professionalism that is proclaimed... so suffice to say, your expectations most likely won't be met.

Every time I see it bumped I am surprised. If I was a new customer coming looking for forum software and I saw this post, I would assume this many customers complaining, and the lack of communication from the devs I would assume this is dead software and look elsewhere. From a business standpoint I wonder how many customers they have already lost from people doing the same thing
Maybe people like the fact they do not censor posts that criticise them. And maybe they believe that most people don’t care that much about 2.3

Unlike this thread, what may have more effect on a potential customer base could include the list bugs that get fixed.

Last edited:
If I were XenForo, I'd be winding the clock back a week every time someone whines in this thread, just out of spite. But they are better people than I am.

But all humanity can do is whine and complain. It’s in our nature. 😜
Griping about the apparent lackadaisical attitude towards bug fixes are valid.
Griping about "I want 2.3 now" is not so much in my opinion.
Known bug fixes should take priority, especially if there is an underlying reason that a x.Y.z release is not occurring that would not affect simple bug fixes (other than "we want to roll it out all at one time" attitude).
The editor issues are at the forefront, albeit they would honestly probably qualify for a said x.Y.z release.... but simply stating that it will be in the next major release would go a long ways towards calming many people, even if we don't know if the next major release will be within the next month, quarter, 6 months or year.

Last edited:
If I were XenForo, I'd be winding the clock back a week every time someone whines in this thread, just out of spite. But they are better people than I am.
Even if that wasn’t serious there could be some truth in it.

If it was me I’d be thinking “this a such a tough and demanding crowd, I’d better spend extra time making sure it pleases them.”

I dunno. Then again I'm in the crowd that doesn't necessarily think 3 years between impactful releases is necessarily a problem (seeing how where I come from, the big releases were, in order, 2004, 2006, 2011, 2022 with a joke that the next big release needs to have 2038 support on the roadmap now so it'll be done in time)

I honestly hope 2.3 is ground breaking. I don't think it will be, and I think there will be a very small contingent of vocally unhappy people, but that this group of people has always been and will continue to be a very small group of people in relation to the whole of the customer base.

I'm certain the majority of licence holders are juuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine about the whole situation.

I honestly hope 2.3 is ground breaking. I don't think it will be,
I would honestly be surprised it if was, and most will be sorely disappointed. 2.2 with the related add-ons I use does MOST everything I need. I have issues with some stuff (mainly 10 year old suggestions that are not closed nor implemented and major editor bugs).
Most people need to reconcile themselves to the fact that the XF environment is a simple forum with base gallery and resources. If you want much else, plan on outside intervention.

By which you mean 'most of the people complaining' who, I assure you, are not 'most of the XF userbase'.
squeaky wheel gets grease. But you and I both know even those not commenting would like to see some "candy"!
It just so happens that some of that amount are fairly vocal.
It's been 3 months since a "bug fix" has come out, and there have been plenty of bugs detailed (some that have a high negative impact). It seems like a base average between bug fix releases lately has been about 5 months though.... but that was during the Cloud implementation. One would assume that now that was done, the core script could be worked on in a different (faster) time frame.

Perhaps - but at the same time, I see the exact same kind of bloviating, posturing talk I got so tired of seeing at TAZ, where you presume to speak on behalf of the customer base and that your views represent, at best, a vocal minority.

Consider this: if the situation were really as dire as you're implying, don't you think they'd be running damage limitation right about now? The fact we're not seeing that is indicative to me of their perception of the situation being vastly different from yours. That's not to say that you don't have a valid point - but I suspect it is not nearly as well informed as you think it is.

Perhaps - but at the same time, I see the exact same kind of bloviating, posturing talk I got so tired of seeing at TAZ, where you presume to speak on behalf of the customer base and that your views represent, at best, a vocal minority.
Feel free to show me where I "suppose" to speak on the behalf of others.. I'm usually pretty specific that my viewpoints are just THAT. MY viewpoint(s).
As I've said over at TAZ.. trends are just that... they tend to repeat themselves. From a rough look it's been easily 4-6 months between "bug fixes. We are coming up on that and there are SEVERAL issues that are outstanding that NEED to be addressed. Is that by a x.y.Z release or a x.Y.z release? Don't know, and REALLY don't care... the fact remains, the bugs are there, some of them are MAJOR issues for others (pretty sure even the admin of one LARGE site has commented on the editor issue)... so no, it's not a marginal user issue. All one has to do is review this thread and other similar (specifically the bugs area) and one can see a recurring issue.
There are TWO major issues involving the editor and emoticon/emoji's reported AND confirmed. And at least one of them is extremely detrimental to sites.

Decided to make my own gif :D

Untitled-3.gif

It looks very sleek.

Hope the core software can get that too since table of contents and the left side menu is great content enablers.

Hmmm just had a look...
Themehouse have that style.
From experience of using that as a style it can be good but it can be messy.
Think you guys should look at pixelexit.com at flatawesome style. It's much better to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom