XF 2.3 / 3.0 release date

Is it still worth buying an add-on for Xenforo 2 or should you wait for version 3 right away?
Or is PHP 9 coming first? :)
V3 doesn't have any major code changes so 2.3 addons will work for xf3 with little to no code changes (but lots of template changes) - as such addon authors shouldn't really charge you for the xf3 variant.

Server-side maybe, but if the theme is totally new they will likely need entirely new templates and template modifications.

With that in mind, I would hope there would be a way to be able to package templates and modifications for both versions in a single addon, as dropping support for 2.x as soon as 3.0 launches won't be viable for addons.

Is it still worth buying an add-on for Xenforo 2 or should you wait for version 3 right away?
Or is PHP 9 coming first? :)
Depends on the developer, and their track record. If the developer has less than 3-4 add-ons, or has only been here for a year, wait to buy the add-on until after 2.3 launches.

Is this still happening? - I believe it's been ~ five months since the first HYS.

I also thought that XenForo would look into improving its communication with its customers. Is this still the plan, if so do you plan on addressing some of your customers' concerns of why it's taken three and a half years for 2.3 (XenForo 2.2 was released in Sep 2020)?

For those customers who are happy with the current state, I understand; that you are free to remain on 2.2 as I believe XenForo does not force you to upgrade. However, some customers have been waiting for many of the suggestions to be implemented for well over 5-10 years. I believe only TWO out of the top TEN suggested features were introduced in 2.3.

If the lack of communication, innovation, and development is going to remain the way it has been for the past 3+ years it would be very much appreciated if this was communicated (maybe by clarifying that the XenForo development team is happy with the current pace they have demonstrated). Some customers may want to move to a platform that innovates and challenges itself to bring cutting-edge solutions to its customers at a much faster pace than XenForo has shown.

If the future holds something new in store for XenForo (innovation, development speed, realizing the team needs and addressing them - maybe the staffing shortage was the reason for the delay. We can all take guesses but it would be great to hear from the source). It would be great to know this so customers can plan accordingly.

Happy Friday!

Last edited:
I too am rather surprised that the HYS were pushed out but nothing really on the back of it - no updates ref 1st party addons nor a public release date but the software needs to run smoothly here before they release the public beta.

I'd just appreciate a bit more back and forth regarding the bug fixes and other bits and bobs. 🤷

I too am rather surprised that the HYS were pushed out but nothing really on the back of it - no updates ref 1st party addons nor a public release date but the software needs to run smoothly here before they release the public beta.

I'd just appreciate a bit more back and forth regarding the bug fixes and other bits and bobs. 🤷
They're fixing up a stack of bugs that people keep finding.

Despite of what many managers (or clients) believe:
You can't put ten women on the job and makea baby in just one month.
Unless they're rabbits. I think their gestation period is around 30 days so they could make a baby (rabbit) in a month.

If they can develop too thats a bonus.

I'd also really appreciate even a vague timeline for 2.3

There are some significant style changes I want to make to the forums I run but I've wanted to avoid doing the work twice as it sounds like 2.3 will significantly adjust things. But I've constantly felt that 2.3 was only a couple months away for nearly half a year now.

We've recently seen a large influx of new users to one of our sites and I was sad to not have those changes in place to greet them.

At this point I'd rather bite the bullet on doing the work twice if 2.3 isn't coming in say April or sooner.

At this point I'd rather bite the bullet on doing the work twice if 2.3 isn't coming in say April or sooner.

They haven’t mentioned any changes for the first part addons, or released any beta builds. Definitely a safe bet it’s not coming in April or sooner

I'd also really appreciate even a vague timeline for 2.3

There are some significant style changes I want to make to the forums I run but I've wanted to avoid doing the work twice as it sounds like 2.3 will significantly adjust things. But I've constantly felt that 2.3 was only a couple months away for nearly half a year now.

We've recently seen a large influx of new users to one of our sites and I was sad to not have those changes in place to greet them.

Agreed. And the whole "when it's coming" is not fun anymore. I get it, everything takes time and work. But a real roadmap would be helpful to plan in advance. As @Warchamp7 (dunno if this tag comes through, it's not letting me - so possibly bug) said.

So we are getting to a point again where many will be frustrated again due to the silence of the devs. Because we haven't see any HYS in a while.

Just my two cents.

As what @Chris D said yesterday they're still cooking.
It's taking a while just don't be impatient like a few people have.
It's not as though the devolopers are sitting on their hands doing bugger all.

Animated GIF

The most incomprehensible thing is the promise and creation of new Hys topics. I am renewing my license as a law-abiding citizen every day, especially after seeing that the official forum has been updated. But what do I end up seeing? For 4 months I just look at the official forum and don’t understand why I updated the license? In order not to track a bunch of bugs, shouldn't you give the beta to users and catch their feedback? Why do we pay for a subscription for 3 years when we see no results?

I am renewing my license as a law-abiding citizen every day, especially after seeing that the official forum has been updated.
You don't need to renew your license unless you need to download an update that was released, or create support tickets. There was 8 months between the release of 2.2.13, and 2.2.14 (and 2.2.15 which was a few days later).

If you renewed around the time of the release of 2.2.13 you would've effectively wasted 8 months of your renewal period if you didn't need access to support

You don't need to renew your license unless you need to download an update that was released, or create support tickets. There was 8 months between the release of 2.2.13, and 2.2.14 (and 2.2.15 which was a few days later).

If you renewed around the time of the release of 2.2.13 you would've effectively wasted 8 months of your renewal period if you didn't need access to support
I understand what you are talking about, but seeing that the official forum was updated in December 2023 and the creation of HYS topics, I thought that I needed to renew the license to help the guys. And in the end? How many more licenses do I need to renew to see the bulge, taking into account the fact that I have purchased all the plugins?

To hell with it, I have no complaints regarding payment and so on. But as a client who paid money, please give me a time frame so that I can hire layout designers, designers, and so on again, in order to bring everything up to the new rules? Why do I pay for services and don’t know when everything will be ready? Sorry, just a cry from the heart...

And sorry for my bad English

Last edited:
Top Bottom