XF 2.3 / 3.0 release date

My point was mostly that less popular add-ons might not get updated to support 2.3 immediately and I would need to get used to managing things without them.
Yes, and some of them may not get updated at all. And if one has become dependent upon those add-ons, then it's going to take hiring someone to either rewrite it for you, or get permission to have the old add-on updated by a third party (which I have seen done in the past).
It's one reason I try to ignore the simple "fixes" that a lot of add-ons offer and concentrate on the "bigger ticket" ones, as they are usually more apt to be updated regularly.

Last edited:
I suppose addon authors could test with beta versions and make their addons ready for the release.

Maybe some will do just that.

Looking forward to see what the xf3.0 will look like and to compare it with ic5.
skeleton_waiting.jpeg

Taking a guess here.
Knowing that @Chris D said that 2.3 in beta form was going to be released by end of november.
I’ll guess that it will be Tuesday 28th november.

mmm. the latest update from my understanding is that they are currently working on updating this community to 2.3 builds and only after that they would work on releasing one for public testing. in any case, i am excited to see the hys changes announced getting implemented here in coming days/weeks.

mmm. the latest update from my understanding is that they are currently working on updating this community to 2.3 builds and only after that they would work on releasing one for public testing. in any case, i am excited to see the hys changes announced getting implemented here in coming days/weeks.
Read all the HYS threads and learn.
All the big changes are in 2.3
The only big change in 3.0 is the overhaul of the default style.

I just bought hosting for new xenforo forum and about to launch a new forum.
Can I please get some insight on when 2.3 will be ready?
I know it's minor, but I assume for the full native 2.3 experience and new database php code versions, I might as well wait another 10 days. But, if it's going to be Dec 15th or later, then I'd really like to know.

Can I get the beta version now perhaps? I assume going from 2.3 beta to 2.3 final will be better than 2.2 to 2.3?
Thank you.

I know it's minor, but I assume for the full native 2.3 experience and new database php code versions, I might as well wait another 10 days. But, if it's going to be Dec 15th or later, then I'd really like to know.

Can I get the beta version now perhaps? I assume going from 2.3 beta to 2.3 final will be better than 2.2 to 2.3?
Thank you.
From experience it’s better to start mucking around with a new forum now.
These guys aren’t like vBulletin. They do things differently.

Thank you.
No one has the beta version yet, not even this forum itself. I estimate that 2.3 will be launched within half a year and beta will be launched within 2 months.

Thank you.

Same line of thinking - when I started this thread.
The general advice was to just start and update when the new version comes out.

I took that advice. Figured out how to configure and run my forum, and hopefully, based on previous experience of more experienced users, there will not be much problems when updating.

For what it's worth, I decided to not do much customizations, especially custom code, just to hopefully have the update run smoother. Though, that goes for the future updates as well in my opinion - the more custom code you have (and the more add-ons), the less easy it gets to have trouble-free updates.

A staging environment/copy is always a good idea.

Relja

I estimate that 2.3 will be launched within half a year and beta will be launched within 2 months.
If the beta launches within 2 months, then half a year (6 months) is probably a bit pessimistic for 2.3. There were only 2 months between the start of betas for 2.2 and final release (I checked Announcements, Beta 1 was July 23, final release as September 29). I see nothing in this one that would push that out much. I would say that if we get a beta in the next 2 months, which seems about right based on what's been said, then I would say 4 months for the final release. Half a year would be if there's some major issue that requires retooling. But that assumes a beta by early in the New Year (two months = January), of course so shall see.

PHP 8.3 was released only 2 days ago and has many breaking changes:
I understand that XF2.3 will support PHP8.3
I imagine that testing XF2.3 on PHP8.3 may take some time.

My shared hosting tends to lag a lot on PHP upgrades. I am on 8.0 and can go up to 8.1 but 8.3 is probably months, if not a year, away for me.

Top Bottom