Add-on XenPorta 2.0 Portal & Framework Crowd-Fund!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where he got that from, but 73 people did pay for this add-on, and the total amount collected ended up at $5,050, only 17 of those people donated $100+ (4 of which gave $300).

I definitely would not refer to it as a donation.

Ah, I see.

If you're curious:

You can't just take $100 from 73 people, bail for months, and expect everyone to still be friendly. Quite frankly I'm surprised anyone is still being friendly.

I've gotten my $35 worth just reading this thread... :cool:

People are complex and sometimes hard to understand. Those who have been here for years know that jaxel gave away vast numbers of his add-ons and improved them and even answered questions about them. It's quite normal for programmers to not be "people" persons.

Being a rational person, if I were the Jaxel I'd have known my limitations at the start and hired someone else in the community here to be the face of the product...that is, the PR person, etc.

I had a retail store for 20 years but after the first few years I sucked at customer service...sorta like Jaxel, I had no time or understanding of the end user. So I had other people do that work while I did the computer stuff, counted money, etc. in the back room.

If this thing happens someday - great. If it doesn't, Jaxel has still given me vastly more than my money's worth in terms of the free utilities and free/paid wiki and everything else.

I'll still crowdfund stuff in the future. But I would never rely on it for my plans and/or workflow...it's more a way of just supporting an art form.

You guys need to calm down a little bit, and keep focus to the topic: XenPorta 2.0 crowdfund.

If you want to insult or criticize Jaxel, use xenporta 2.0 dev/money/his coding quality/timeline/etc, not how the man who do that.

As far as facts go.. Not being able to realize you can't handle a situation is a major part of mental illness. Of course it is different with every person.
You just clearly stated that you have no idea what his disorders are. You treat mental illness as a whole and this is just incorrect.

Damn guys I mixed up the number of people that paid in general and the number that paid $100 *shrug*.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys need to calm down a little bit, and keep focus to the topic: XenPorta 2.0 crowdfund.

If you want to insult or criticize Jaxel, use xenporta 2.0 dev/money/his coding quality/timeline/etc, not how the man who do that.

Every post made today in this thread is relevant to the XenPorta 2.0 crowdfund..

What Jake B. said is valid. All is on topic so far, otherwise the thread would have been locked.

I was all set to invest $100 in the development; but changed my mind at the last moment and went for $30 option. Being an optimist, I continue to hope that Jaxel will come up with a beta sometime in December; but now I'm not sure whether I"ll really use his software.

My inner super-powers are telling me that Brogan's CTA Portal is likely to get adopted by XF as official addon; OR they're already working on a CMS.

But all said, I continue to find a CMS solution for our site. :rolleyes:

The entire staff isn't in the UK and I have been monitoring this thread. I have yet to see any post which directly violates the rules of this community and everything seems to be on topic to what was said in the interview.

Please refrain from instructing the staff on how to moderate this thread, it would be appreciated.

OR they're already working on a CMS
You are right :whistle:

Quote from the interview
At this point, I'm hoping that the oncoming deadline finally kicks my ass into high-gear. But either way, I've still let everyone down and for that, I do apologize for the delays.

All I can really do is ask people to be a bit more patient.
All is not lost, if you have some conviction.

You are right :whistle:

Quote from the interview

It should have been kicked into high gear when he asked the community for the money, and when he got over 1k more than was requested. He should have been working on it instead of replying to this thread saying that he hadn't had time to work on it with a video of him playing a damn video game in the post.

Actually... it is a damn good reason, and not excuse.

No it is not. I have plenty of issues dealing with people. I eat alone everyday, instead of wasting my time with my collegues. I can't be empatic, but I learned to fake it and act like one, and my wife knows it. My son is a social inept, and is being constantly bullied for it at school, but has been certified with a 125 IQ. I know how difficult life can be just because your mind is wired a different ways. It is what defines you AND you have to live with it for the rest of your life: can't change that. But that does not mean that you can't live and function productively in society.

For example, not work related, I hate teaching to adults, while I love teaching to kids. I learned that it is about my expectations: I expect an adult to come to me after a basic learning experience that s/he had since birth, while I expect a child to just be totally in the dark. So I get frustrated in front of an "ignorant" adult, and I get amazed in front of a "learning" child. They both come to me for the same reasons and goals, but how I approach them makes the difference.

This means adapting yourself, and the engagement you take, so that you can be wonderfully productive to society and yourself, but still not force yourself to be something you are not.

And I highly respect @Jaxel's coming out on his personal matters, and gives a lot of sense to how he has behaved on the forums for the past 4 something years.

Bashing on someones mental health disorders is going to far.

I don't believe that anyone is doing that. His disorders are not the point here. The way he did act is. You can compensate for them, and he stated that when he needed to he does, and THAT is what being an adult is all about: compensating for your weaknesses while benefitting from your strengths.

[Grammar nazi] you may want to check once again on that "conviction" :eek::p:D

He should have been working on it instead of replying to this thread saying that he hadn't had time to work on it with a video of him playing a damn video game in the post.

That (posting the video) is what I am talking about. Now, I understand that he got all that mental stuff and all his pent up frustration had to go somewhere: he steamed out with the video, that really said "up yours". Well played, you just went into panic mode because you have writer's block. And this caused even more sour as the time passed: it didn't solve the situation, it made it worse, and he is a working productive adult and he does know what employers/investors expect.

Now, after this wall of text, I really really hope he would hear me out on this:
@Jaxel, my advice to you is just one: come to this thread, apologize for the video, apologize for the cold treatment that you gave to your investors, and make one, just one promise: set a new deadline between now and in 3 months time, write clearly that you will NOT reply to any message in this thread, and that you will give weekly or "biweekly" reports on the add-on, and if you can't meet the new deadline, or believe you can't, just say so: drop the ball, give the money back, and free yourself from this pressure: it isn't doing you any good, and you yourself say it.

drop the ball, give the money back, and free yourself from this pressure: it isn't doing you any good, and you yourself say it.

Sadly, I have a feeling he does not have the TOTAL invested funds anymore. Which is why this has not already happened per user requests. :cautious:

Sadly, I have a feeling he does not have the TOTAL invested funds anymore.

There are ways, there are people that may forfeit for a refund.

But first he needs to come here to apologize. He did something wrong: he took money for a project that he isn't able to deliver. Whatever the reason, he needs to do something about it, and what he is doing (being quiet, not coding, nor reimbursing) isn't what wins you friends NOR future work: people talk, and the talk moves fast.

Writing code is very much a creative process when you are a one man show. So you need to be "in the mood". If you can't get there, you ì'd better leave it aside: there are other, better things, in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom