Add-on [XenMods] Advertising

1. It lets me target a banner ad to the top and/or bottom of each forum room. This is done by the call for the ad having the forum number in it.

bd Widget Framework allows you to position widgets in very specific places (specific templates/pages, through template hooks, etc). I've created a new 'Widget' type called '[XenMods] ad' which is what displays your ads. This allows you to position them anywhere you want.

2. If there is no client ad specified for the position, it will put a goog ad in there - same goes with excess spots the goog ad can be put into rotation.

When setting up your widget, you can put default html. That would be your adsense code.

3. I can sell %'s of each room. For instance, I break a popular forum into 6 sponsors spots, and then have the ads rotate 1/6th of all impressions in that particular forum. Banners can be "weighted" to run heavier or lighters.

Currently this doesn't allow slots to "share" although it quiet possibly could in the future.

4. I can call the ads from any page using the perl URL....so I could put the ad on other pages of my site other than XF pages.

This you can't do without some custom code. I could however possibly in the future make an api for you to set something like that up or I could do some custom work to generate a script for you later.

Thanks for the answers and comments. Most of the stuff I mentioned is standard in the scripts and free services out there - what they don't have, of course, is integration with XF.

If I were developing such a script, I'd try to pinpoint the particular market I was addressing. On one hand we have the new forum owners (of which I am one with my drone site) who make $2 to $6 a day on advertising and want to increase it. I may use this script for that site.

At the high end you have sites like digitalpoint, A/V forums and our hearth forum (and others - listed in the big forums list on this site) which serve millions of pages per month. IMHO, these sites need not only the above features, but also an assurance of what the future holds for the script.

As an example, I've been using the same banner program for over 10 years. The author decided to get out of the programming biz, but donated it to the perl community. It still works "stock", but others could update if needed.

On my bigger site, I'd hesitate to use anything which could possibly be terminated. Lots of good authors here have come and gone, many not donating their add-ons....so we'd be up the creek without a paddle after setting up a whole system!

Sorry for the longwinded comments - you may already have thought a lot of this out. However, I think it's very important to keep your target audience in mind.

Thanks for the answers and comments. Most of the stuff I mentioned is standard in the scripts and free services out there - what they don't have, of course, is integration with XF.

No problem. Your list had 4 things, 2 are already implemented, 1 I intend on implementing in the future, and the last one was something that had never come up before and I had not though of until you mentioned it. I have only been developing this add on since the September 1st. Plenty more features are coming, I just want to get the core done.

If I were developing such a script, I'd try to pinpoint the particular market I was addressing. On one hand we have the new forum owners (of which I am one with my drone site) who make $2 to $6 a day on advertising and want to increase it. I may use this script for that site.

At the high end you have sites like digitalpoint, A/V forums and our hearth forum (and others - listed in the big forums list on this site) which serve millions of pages per month. IMHO, these sites need not only the above features, but also an assurance of what the future holds for the script.

The particular market I'm addressing is any community that runs XenForo and is interested in selling ads to it's user base. I want it to not only be usable for people running adsense and seeing $2 a day, but anyone advertising in any possible way. I want anyone selling ad space that has to do some manual work in order to set up new campaigns and then manually track how long they've been running/how much the advertiser owes to be able to use this system and relax.

Obviously there are some forums like DigitalPoint that will not use this because they either coded a solution on their own or they run DigitalPoint Ads happily. I still want those forums to be -able- to use this. I'd rather them be able to and not ,than not be able to at all.

As an example, I've been using the same banner program for over 10 years. The author decided to get out of the programming biz, but donated it to the perl community. It still works "stock", but others could update if needed.

On my bigger site, I'd hesitate to use anything which could possibly be terminated. Lots of good authors here have come and gone, many not donating their add-ons....so we'd be up the creek without a paddle after setting up a whole system!

I understand that concern. I'm not going anywhere for a long time. I realize that is commonly said and not always true. I would never want to just up and leave and have a bunch of people stuck with my add ons that they've spent hundreds of dollars on and rely on for their community. If I do end up leaving, I'll probably end up talking to some developers and giving them permission to continue development. In the mean time though, there are several things I want to do. I want this ad manager to have every feature requested (although I can't get to them all at once).

Sorry for the longwinded comments - you may already have thought a lot of this out. However, I think it's very important to keep your target audience in mind.

I have no problem with 'longwinded comments'. Let me know if you have any other idea, requests, or concerns.

Campaigns page for admins is done:

Campaign List searchable, you can view pending, approved, denied, or all campaigns. You can also search by user (auto complete is on).
Admin_Campaigns.webp

Campaign Details This screen is where you can view the attachment and make a decision for approving or denying a campaign.
Admin_Campaign_Info.webp

Alerts The bottom alert is when I created the coupon, it goes through admin approval so I got notified saying it'd be reviewed soon, the second one was I clicked denied (then reset in the database), then I clicked approve for the top one.
Alerts.webp

Not sure if this was talked about yet. Can an advertiser see what bids were made by others or see how many others have bids by others for the same spot?

James

Not sure if this was talked about yet. Can an advertiser see what bids were made by others or see how many others have bids by others for the same spot?

James
Not yet, definitely on the list for the future.

Looks great! Is the newest version with this downloadable yet?
It hasn't been posted yet. I have to fix the installer for the new database structures. I'm going to write up a long post about the manager to this point and get ready to post the newest release in the XenForo Resource Manager. The price will be increasing to $50 tomorrow. If you've already purchased it (or purchase before I update tomorrow) you won't have to pay additional.

Daniel.. Can you put an option to take the advertise tab out from navbar.. Like we discussed..

I'd rather have a small link at the footer and direct them to a different page where the merchants can set up their campaign..

As stated earlier the reason for this is to separate business from fun.. Pls consider this otherwise i will not be able to install it on my site

Yes, I'm going to be adding an option for that. I just have to create a new widget that goes on the advertising page so that they still get their links since the sub menu will be gone.

I'm also thinking about setting a new permission for setting if the user/group can advertise and only they will see the tab.

Yeah...permission system for Advertiser user group would be great..

My site is already live and i dont wanna scare my members with this addon..

Top Bottom