Add-on [XenMods] Advertising

This could become very interesting once more features are added.

My requests:
  1. integrate Google Analytics API to give advertisers the needed statistics, like uniques, demographics, etc.
  2. approve campaign before payment is done. This avoids disputes.
  3. add a field for site description so that this can be used to add information about the campaign and moderators can review this together with the campaign.
  4. sell add locations per forum node, blog category(better blogs), gallery category, etc. This allows an advertiser to target the audience related to their product.
  5. Instead of CPM please allow for price per node location per month.
  6. add more payment methods. Paypal is a no go.
  7. Support for network / multisite configurations. example: Subdomains and XenCentral Multisite

My requests:
  1. integrate Google Analytics API to give advertisers the needed statistics, like uniques, demographics, etc.
  3. add a field for site description so that this can be used to add information about the campaign and moderators can review this together with the campaign.
  4. sell add locations per forum node, blog category(better blogs), gallery category, etc. This allows an advertiser to target the audience related to their product.
  7. Support for network / multisite configurations. example: Subdomains and XenCentral Multisite

Since I purchased this, I love some of these ideas, esp xC Multisite (since I bought it) and ads per node. Would also like to see a float: right; ad placement next to the forum name on forum_list so you can do a 45x120 button for forum sponsored by

My requests:
  1. Honestly not sure why I didn't think of this for statistics sooner. Thank you.
  2. The system currently requires funds to be in the account before a campaign can be added so I am not sure.
  3. I can add an additional field, no problem.
  4. This is already possible due to the system using bd Widget Framework. You just have to know the corresponding position / settings desired. Then name the widget something like "Computer's Forum".
  5. Each Widget is going to have it's own pricing so that you can have some slots as CPM with a minimum of $1. And then another ad slot with a minimum CPM of $5 (if it's only visible to premium members or something). Then you could have a third in your header (or somewhere else) that is $x per day.
  6. More gateways are in the plans.
  7. I will have to check out those add ons. Shouldn't be too difficult though.

Since I purchased this, I love some of these ideas, esp xC Multisite (since I bought it) and ads per node. Would also like to see a float: right; ad placement next to the forum name on forum_list so you can do a 45x120 button for forum sponsored by

Edit "forum_list" put
Code:
<div style="float:right;"><xen:hook name="xmadvertising_slot" /></div>
where you want it then go to the add widget page and put "hook:xmadvertising_slot" as the position. :)

I'm not sure whether I'm going to put branding on it or not (I'm leaning towards not) if I do, it'll be like $10 to remove it. The initial license includes a year of free updates, after that it's going to be $20-25 (not sure yet) a year for updates (gives me additional incentive to continue development).

I'm not sure whether I'm going to put branding on it or not (I'm leaning towards not) if I do, it'll be like $10 to remove it. The initial license includes a year of free updates, after that it's going to be $20-25 (not sure yet) a year for updates (gives me additional incentive to continue development).

If you do add branding later, will it remain unbranded for free for those of us that already purchased?

my request is.. please don't leave a branding link.. i am not sure how that will help. May be i should just stir the pot by creating a separate thread.. thanks for the idea Mike and Daniel :)

Have to mess with it but in the next release advertisers will be able to see stats (all numbers are clickable to view just that campaigns graph for that category, the headers are clickable to view the graph for that category).

Stats.webp

Have to make the graph show the dates instead of the time stamps.

Download for graphs is available. The installer may error though. I think I forgot to increase the id last version so it might try adding a duplicate column. Let me know. The next version is going to be focused on an admin page to display incoming payments. Might be adding payza as the next gateway for people with clients that can't use PayPal.

Hmm... good point. Not really sure yet. maybe assigning a CSS class name instead of width and height?

I'm not sure what method would be best, Brogan has a pretty good guide on how Adsense makes responsive work, using javascript or new beta media queries. I'd imagine to make this work in this system the customer would have to buy multiple size ad slots for each ad??? It's complicated for sure....

Hoping to have a completed beta version up tomorrow. The releases this far have been developmental releases (alpha, if you will). They lacked a lot of the initial features, basically only worked for the user end. This next release will have admin tools, payment tracking (payments before were tracked, there was just no output), and a couple more features. The price will be increased to $50 at this point.

Features requested in this thread (since initial development) that have been implemented:

Per @intradox here
- backfill with adsense/ad code this actually existed at the time of initial release, each widget (ad slot) has a default html option.

Per @Flexin here
- Can we have the option to have to manually approve banners before they go up There is now an options in the admin panel (under [XenMods] Advertising) for requiring approval. If this is selected any new campaign or campaign that changes the attachment will be placed in an approval queue instead of just going live instantly. Screenshot coming soon. Also requested by @TheBigK.

Per @Alfa1 here
- approve campaign before payment is done. This avoids disputes. while this isn't done before the campaign, if you do deny their campaign then the money will go back into their account (on your forums) for another campaign. When a campaign is created, the funds are removed from their account (to make sure they don't start 15 campaigns and go negative and never pay).
- add a field for site description so that this can be used to add information about the campaign this is shown on the admin page where all campaigns are listed. Screenshot of this coming soon.
- sell add locations per forum node, blog category(better blogs), gallery category, etc. This allows an advertiser to target the audience related to their product. this has been done since the start, bd widget framework allows you to play widgets in very specific places.

Features that will be started on implementing for beta 2:

Per @intradox here
- integration with xfrocks paygates I'm planning on implementing more payment options, now that the core features are developed, I'll be working on integrating a few more apis, I don't know that xfrocks paygates will be the method that is used (it appears to be developed specifically for account upgrades). The plans are to start with payza, google wallet, and stripe. Also requested by @Alfa1.
- fixed rate ad slots allowing users to select if they want to advertise in a slot for cpm bidding or ad slots with a fixed daily rate (you'll set $x.xx/day, they can pick to run 365 days if they want, they won't have to set up a campaign every day). Also requested by @Flexin and @TheBigK and @Alfa1.

If your request wasn't listed here, that doesn't mean it's not going to make it. I just haven't gotten there yet ;)

Last edited:
Not sure if this is intended for someone like me - but let me mention my needed and uses anyway in case it provides some hints for the future...

First, a large party of my inventory is sold direct to clients - most of them are too busy to check stats or set up campaigns, etc.
The rest of my impressions go to adsense.

I could sell some banner direct via paypal, but my thinking is that it will always be a minority because goog has a vastly larger market (for clients) than any one site could possible have.

So, what I have now is really cobbled together and the ad script is ancient perl shareware. I know I have to replace that script someday!

Here is what it does......

1. It lets me target a banner ad to the top and/or bottom of each forum room. This is done by the call for the ad having the forum number in it.

2. If there is no client ad specified for the position, it will put a goog ad in there - same goes with excess spots the goog ad can be put into rotation.

3. I can sell %'s of each room. For instance, I break a popular forum into 6 sponsors spots, and then have the ads rotate 1/6th of all impressions in that particular forum. Banners can be "weighted" to run heavier or lighters.

4. I can call the ads from any page using the perl URL....so I could put the ad on other pages of my site other than XF pages.

Example call: http://www.hearth.com/cgi-bin/top13.pl?
brings up central heater clients banners...

Are any or all of these features planned?

Top Bottom