XF 1.2 XenForo_ControllerResponse_Exception: Controller response exception Problems

PHP:
#0 /home/sitename/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Controller.php(601): XenForo_Controller->responseException(Object(XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect))
#1 /home/sitename/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(60): XenForo_Controller->canonicalizeRequestUrl('threads/ali-sam...')
#2 /home/sitename/public_html/forum/library/XenAdShare/ControllerPublic/Thread.php(21): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex()
#3 /home/sitename/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(337): XenAdShare_ControllerPublic_Thread->actionIndex()
#4 /home/sitename/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#5 /home/sitename/public_html/forum/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#6 {main}

PHP:
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(44) "http://www.sitename.com/forum/threads/65107/"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

What should I do? :(

Where do you get this?
http://www.sitename.com/admin.php
An exception occurred: Controller response exception: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Reroute in /home/sitename/public_html/library/XenForo/Controller.php on line 799

1. XenForo_Controller->responseException() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 165
  2. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->assertAdmin() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 17
  3. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_preDispatchType() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 308
  4. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 336
  5. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  6. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/public_html/forum/admin.php at line 13

I'm getting this error as well today. The frontend seems to work fine, but admin is broken. I recently switched from apache to nginx. Disabling listeners had no effect.

Code:
An exception occurred: Controller response exception: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Reroute in /home/.../public_html/library/XenForo/Controller.php on line 757

XenForo_Controller->responseException() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 165
XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->assertAdmin() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 17
XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_preDispatchType() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 302
XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 312
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/.../public_html/admin.php at line 13

I have the same problem after installation of 1.2.2, can't view admin or front end. See test installation:removed by me.http://bit.ly/17okKFU

Please tell me what to do, I have an older version of xenforo on the same server that works fine. I don't understand any of the advice given so far.

Last edited:
You need to check your PHP extensions. You likely have one that is not compatible with your PHP version. You'll need to disable that extension.

How do I do that? I have WHM. PHP version 5.4.18. Also, why is this an issue with Xenforo and not any other stuff I have installed? I'm just curious, I don't understand why 'I' need to check something with my server setup and disable something to make this work?

Last edited:
It's a server configuration issue. If you look at the code and see where that exception is being triggered from, you'll see that it's impossible to actually trigger the behavior that's happening. Effectively, your PHP is saying that 1 + 1 is 3. There's no way that we can really workaround the issue. The code that is being executed is not (equivalent to) the code that was written.

This is caused by PHP extensions that hook themselves deep into the core of PHP and then manipulate how PHP executes. When there are PHP updates, these must be updated or weird things like this can happen. This can be extensions like eAccelerator or DBG -- look at opcode caches/optimizers and debugger extensions as the first port of call.

Ok, I don't understand most of that. All I know is I installed an older version of Xenforo in March on the same server and that works fine, and today I install Xenforo 1.2.2 and it doesn't work. When you make throw away comments that sound simple to you like 'look at opcode caches' without explaining what they are or where I should look for such a thing, it seems to me when I already said I don't understand any of the explanations already posted that you're not wanting to be very helpful, like I'm an irritant and should know everything about PHP issues before I buy Xenforo, and you want me to go away and search elsewhere. By the time I've done that I may as well stick with vbulletin which, even though it's a horrible pile of poo now, still works despite all my PHP shortcomings... as does MyBB, SMF and PHPBB.

What I mean is, why does only the latest version create these errors, and in plain English how can I make it work? Please.

Edit: I asked my hosting support if they can make sense of your help, so maybe I might be ok. :)

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be dismissive. The problem lies in an internally broken/incompatible PHP configuration. There may be problems that manifest itself in other ways in other applications. It just triggers itself very obviously here; situations where 1+1 comes out as 3 may just subtly corrupt some data or they may trigger significant errors like this. I have seen this error come up in XF 1.1 (and tracked it down to Zend Optimizer+).

You need to look at disabling some extensions in PHP. The specific method and location for doing this will vary based on your server. If you have a managed server, your host may be able to help, though you may be able to do it via EasyApache. The challenge is that servers may have different extension configurations and versions in essentially limitless ways so we can't definitively say X causes this problem in all cases. There are some extensions that have problems with newer PHP versions (5.4 being rather recent all told), at least if the extension isn't updated at the same time. The ones I would start looking at disabling (if enable) are like eAccelerator, APC, DBG, and Zend Optimizer+. (Note that if it's not done automatically, you may need to restart Apache when disabling extensions.)

While I'm waiting for my hosting company to look in to it... why doesn't my other forum software trigger these things? What's different in Xenforo 1.2 that's making this happen? Also, when you download the file presale to check requirements my server passes the test, though the file only says xenforo 1.0. Perhaps this should be updated?

Top Bottom