Xenforo & Wordpress Bridge

Deepmartini

Everyone knows the crap forum called BBpress is like the ugly stepchild of Wordpress, left alone and abandoned. SimplePressForum (a Wordpress Plugin) is a good start but doesn't have the "wow" factor but integrates perfectly with Wordpress.

If Xenforo could release a Wordpress plugin that has full integration with Wordpress including all user information and a single login, it would be a POWERHOUSE. Do you know how many Wordpress sites want to add a forum to their site but can't?

Any mods like this coming?

Upvote 46
Same here. Each and every single website I own is powered by WordPress and it is a superb piece of kit when used as a CMS. It's just a shame that both BuddyPress and bbPress feel so, well...separate from WordPress; and they've never relly been ideal for me. If XenForo could in some way incorporate the register/login system of WordPress then that would be absolutely perfect. Actually, now that I think about it, I'd probably much prefer that WordPress use XenForo's registration and login system rather than WordPress'.
I can see why you would say bbPress is separate from Wordpress but I use Buddypress and it integrates really well with Wordpress.

I hope a xenforo / wordpress combo will run smoother than vBulletin with Joomla (jfusion).
The problems running frameless vBulletin 3 with Joomla are major.
Frameless vBulletin 4 with Joomla was deemed impossible.

Does anyone know if the AJAX or templating in xenforo will make it hard to run xenforo and wordpress in a visually integrated way ? Is there something about the structure of xenforo that lends itself to easier integration with other software vs. the nightmare with vbulletin ?

There are bridges that now exist between WP & paid products put out by 3rd parties. In your opinion, who would the FSF go after and what could be the results?
Technically, FSF doesn't have a dog in the fight until Wordpress Foundation or whomever the license holder is decides to send a cease-and-desist to the developer of a style, add-on, etc. which is not in compliance with the GPL. Then FSF would offer up legal assistance and we're off to the races.

Again without going too off-topic, at one time, GPL was all about compiled binaries. I could not add my own proprietary code, recompile, and sell a GPL product as my own. Perfectly reasonable. Then the definition started being stretched.

Since PHP has aspects of execution which are similar to both interpreted and compiled languages, FSF have gone on record saying that include('blahblah.php'); requires both files to be GPL. They don't care if I'm making use of APIs. In fact, I've even heard that if you are aware of an API and using it, you must be GPL. Then more recently they completely went off the deep end and started indicating that adding a Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) would also be subject to GPL.

The GPL is a viral license and FSF seems to be taking the word "viral" and running with it. :confused:

There are bridges that now exist between WP & paid products put out by 3rd parties. In your opinion, who would the FSF go after and what could be the results?

I don't really think the FSF can go after anyone on anyone's behalf since the FSF doesn't own the IP. If, however, WP invited them to do so they could but it would be in a formal legal representation: the FSF's counsel representing WP as attorneys.

I've even heard that if you are aware of an API and using it, you must be GPL. Then more recently they completely went off the deep end and started indicating that adding a Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) would also be subject to GPL.

The GPL is a viral license and FSF seems to be taking the word "viral" and running with it.
Utterly insane in my opinion and everyone else that works on MODx.

I hope a xenforo / wordpress combo will run smoother than vBulletin with Joomla (jfusion).

Does anyone know if the AJAX or templating in xenforo will make it hard to run xenforo and wordpress in a visually integrated way ? Is there something about the structure of xenforo that lends itself to easier integration with other software vs. the nightmare with vbulletin ?

jFusion actually works very with vB 3.8 as long as you stick to doing the visual integration by simply making the styles of the two systems mesh. The visual integration option is HIGHLY problematic, and honestly I wouldn't recommend anyone go that route. Using jFusion to integrate the authentication systems (which is really it's entire purpose as a project) works just fine, single point of registration, single sign in and out.

Will there be a good way to integrate WP and XF visually? Almost certainly. Since XF is so CSS based for layout, we plan on simply using a fully semantic and VERY simple WP theme like sandbox. Then just modify sandbox to use the same exact CSS classes etc as XF and tell WP to use the XF CSS stylesheet. POOF they will look and feel nearly identical, and when you change one you change the other. :)

Many of us like vBulletin CMS better than WP, so we need a bridge for that first. Almighty 3rd party devs, listen to my rhyme and put your hands up on your keyboards!

♫If we did like it free,♬
♩♮ we would be using phpbb!♪

Many of us like vBulletin CMS better than WP, so we need a bridge for that first. Almighty 3rd party devs, listen to my rhyme and put your hands up on your keyboards!

♫If we did like it free,♬
♩♮ we would be using phpbb!♪
Am I reading that right?

You're saying you want to bridge XF with vB CMS?

Why anyone would prefer vB "CMS" to Wordpress is totally beyond me personally, but YMMV obviously.
Note: I'm trying really HARD to be open minded and non-judgmental here, different thing work for different people after all :).

Many of us like vBulletin CMS better than WP
Well, when you say "Many" I think you mean "you" like the vB CMS. In my mind Many is over a hundred. Let's keep a Tally of the vB CMS lovers.

vB CMS lovers = 1 (AlexandrosD)

Any others ?

and tell WP to use the XF CSS stylesheet.
So, you'll only be loading one CSS stylesheet ? unlike jfusion where you load both templates (Joomla + the forum software) ?

Yes.

But we already do the same *basic* thing with jFusion. Both Joomla and vB load the same CSS files, we built the templates in vB to basically look like the Joomla! part of the site. We do NOT use the visual integration of jFusion.

It'd be vastly easier with XF and WP though. :)

I feel your pain. One of the sites I help maintain still uses Joomla integrated with vBulletin 3.8. We don't use frames or jfusion (wasn't available at the time), and use much of Joomla's templating system. The result is a pretty seamless integration, but it certainly wasn't without its pains (mostly with vBulletin). From what I've read and seen, it should be easy to modify the look and feel of XenForo. As for further integration, we'll see soon enough!

It would not be possible to "bridge" vBulletin CMS and XenForo. vBulletin CMS requires the forum, and you are replacing the vBulletin forum with XenForo. I suppose a content importer is possible, but the vB4 CMS has only been out of beta for a few months. How much content is there really out there that needs importation?

It would not be possible to "bridge" vBulletin CMS and XenForo. vBulletin CMS requires the forum, and you are replacing the vBulletin forum with XenForo. I suppose a content importer is possible, but the vB4 CMS has only been out of beta for a few months. How much content is there really out there that needs importation?
Its left BETA :p?

It's out of beta? Damn yet again I've overslept at some stage.

I hate you.

All GPL issues aside, I look forward to getting our hands on XF and taking it for a whirl very soon. :p
ModX isn't something I've seen before but it looks good. It'd be great, if you did integrate it with XF, if you could integrate it to the level that IP.Content is with IP.Board. So that optionally, if someone comments on an article, it automatically shows in the associated forum thread and vice versa.

ModXF?

Top Bottom