Xenforo Review by Forum-Software.org

The most in-secure reason of reply email is email is very easy to proof. You could are to make your own mail server with same domain and same email name, for example: billgate@microsoft.com. So if someone know how the code work, they could fake anyone in the reply and XF would not able to verify this since it recognizes you by email and some simple tokens.

If you ever heard cookie hj-hack, so this is the same kind.

Of course, if there were a genuine and sufficiently large demand for email replying, I'd certainly consider adding it to the list of things we would consider developing for a future version.

Of course, if there were a genuine and sufficiently large demand for email replying, I'd certainly consider adding it to the list of things we would consider developing for a future version.
Its is from my point of view only useful for

Creating content which does not rely on exisiting content

Create a new thread
Start a new Conversation
Publish a photo
Status updates

Replying and viewing should always only be done on the webpage. Reasons are advertisement, guiding the user to new content, display him more content and let him create more.

Example:
A user goes to a store and publishes a photo along with a new thread about a product he wants to buy and needs an opinion.
A user gives a new status update about what he bought.

Its is from my point of view only useful for

Creating content which does not rely on exisiting content

Create a new thread
Start a new Conversation
Publish a photo
Status updates

Replying and viewing should always only be done on the webpage. Reasons are advertisement, guiding the user to new content, display him more content and let him create more.

Example:
A user goes to a store and publishes a photo along with a new thread about a product he wants to buy and needs an opinion.
A user gives a new status update about what he bought.
Sounds great but unfortunately, more people on my email contacts list get their email accounts phished, hacked or hijacked than forum member's accounts. I think reply or post by email sounds like a good idea initially but in reality would just open a forum to abuse and more spam.

Sounds great but unfortunately, more people on my email contacts list get their email accounts phished, hacked or hijacked than forum member's accounts. I think reply or post by email sounds like a good idea initially but in reality would just open a forum to abuse and more spam.
I'm personally not interested in this function, but we can imagine a system protected with a public/private key (see here) such as pgp. Before to activate this function, the user will need to upload a key and then when he wants to send a message by email, a php script checks the private & public key to see if the message can be validated (may be with this, I don't know) before posting on the forum.

Seeing the words "we", "developing" & "future" in this post makes me feel good :) Thanks for the reply.

Speaking of developing, let's not forget a portal, even simple, providing it's user-friendly ^^ And let's not forget that Kier had a "big" mysterious project in mind for the "calendar".

2013 might be a really interesting year (y)

Ask the developers to improve it.
"If you never ever go, you'll never ever know!"

Perhaps more people would be interested in it than in the activity stream.

I'm personally not interested in this function, but we can imagine a system protected with a public/private key (see here) such as pgp. Before to activate this function, the user will need to upload a key and then when he wants to send a message by email, a php script checks the private & public key to see if the message can be validated (may be with this, I don't know) before posting on the forum.

Seeing the words "we", "developing" & "future" in this post makes me feel good :) Thanks for the reply.

Speaking of developing, let's not forget a portal, even simple, providing it's user-friendly ^^ And let's not forget that Kier had a "big" mysterious project in mind for the "calendar".

2013 might be a really interesting year (y)
That sounds like a great idea. Yeah that last post was pretty positive, wasn't expecting that.

I want a reply feature via Skype, ICQ, MSN, SMS, Twitter, Facebook ... oh and phone call too! j/k
One-on-one video chat with people on your followed list (ex. Facetime/tinychat/skype video chat etc) would be nice but that's unrelated to this thread and is not a default forum feature in any of the forum softwares.

Ok I edited the first post to reflect the addons that have been made for Xenforo so far that makes up for what's missing on Forum-Software.org's list. Thanks everyone.

It's called just not using email. :)

Semaphore-2.jpg

Top Bottom