Xenforo Review by Forum-Software.org

This Review is around two years old now. Lots have changed since then. Will any of the stuff they say is missing be added in Xenforo 1.2?

Topic Tags
Related Threads
Detect Duplicate Threads
Spell Checker
Post by Email
Export Private Messages
Abnormal Behavior Detection
Backup Database
Prune Database
Restore Database

I think the database stuff isn't really something that is needed in a forum software. There are much better and more dedicated tools like PHPMyAdmin or MySqlDumper for those kinds of functions.

Scott

I think the database stuff isn't really something that is needed in a forum software. There are much better and more dedicated tools like PHPMyAdmin or MySqlDumper for those kinds of functions.

Scott
Even if Xenforo doesn't come with it it would be great as an addon for those who aren't comfortable using stuff un-related to Xenforo.

See that's just the thing. I don't want to use all that extra stuff if Xenforo could do it for me. That's why it's mentioned in the Review.

Why would anyone need to post by email?

If you're on the computer or mobile and can access email, then why not go right to the forum?

Why would anyone need to post by email?

If you're on the computer or mobile and can access email, then why not go right to the forum?
Imagine being active on a bunch of forums getting emails for lots of threads. They're all nicely placed in your inbox, instead of clicking the thread link, maybe logging in, clicking reply and typing, you could just hit reply and move on to the next one. I'd rather not use it because sometimes there's posts after and stuff but I get the request.

IMHO, whilst the software review is good, the recommendations aren't the best. Product bloating is a well-known facet of forum software construction. CMS's seem not to be as picked at in this regard, as many are happy to simply download and install an add-on. Yet in forum software, people seem to want every little function as part of the core.

I get sick and tired of reading comments on add-ons that 'this should be core' type nonsense. That is the exact issue that bloats a product and stalls a development community.

For all Xenforo owners... would you want XF having 50+ queries like the competition? Just to perform a single pages functions? I know I don't. I would rather have a choice... which means add-ons and a supporting developer community.

Just my two cents.

This is an ancient post but I agree. Not everything needs to be core but I would like to see some more official addons from the KAM team like they've done with the RM and search features. A CMS/portal solution would have to be at the top of that list, seems to be the most polarizing topic around here lately.

Can't they re-review since it's been two years now and they still have Xenforo 1.1.2 listed as the latest version?
You should ask this question the owner of the site via email, not here. Though it probably will be fruitless because the site appears to be pretty much abandoned since a year or so.

Can't they re-review since it's been two years now and they still have Xenforo 1.1.2 listed as the latest version?
I think someone else is controlling that site.... I posted a few positive things about XenForo and they're gone. Had someone else post something as well.... Also, gone.

I think someone else is controlling that site.... I posted a few positive things about XenForo and they're gone. Had someone else post something as well.... Also, gone.
Also the 2013 poll results that put another development in a not so bright light... gone.

You'll notice only 2012 is there on the home page (2013 is still there, but not the feature on the homepage and the totals are not what they were)

Online reviews nowadays are all nonsense... honestly, do you really believe most feedback people put upon their websites? I don't... because many write them themselves and post under made up names, or names of friends and such. Its all nonsense...

Xenforo is solid, and any user who has purchased a license and actually put it to work under user load would never say otherwise. Xenforo simply taking up some of the much needed anti-spam measures that only add-ons have otherwise covered prove they are dedicated to realistic out-of-the-box forum provider status.

Online reviews nowadays are all nonsense... honestly, do you really believe most feedback people put upon their websites? I don't... because many write them themselves and post under made up names, or names of friends and such. Its all nonsense...

Xenforo is solid, and any user who has purchased a license and actually put it to work under user load would never say otherwise. Xenforo simply taking up some of the much needed anti-spam measures that only add-ons have otherwise covered prove they are dedicated to realistic out-of-the-box forum provider status.
XenForo is the best. :D

But I disagree on your opinion regarding reviews.

Yes, collectively they are "watered down" because there are companies out there that 'pay' people to write up reviews and even 'pay' people to dispute truthful reviews that may not fit their agenda. However it is still a big internet and so such marketing ploys do not reach everywhere and there is even such places where 'fluff' is not allowed.

But most importantly, there are still honest people who still honestly write up reviews to give their honest opinion. XenForo could have beeen as affordable as $5 and I wouldn't have spent a single dime without first trying it myself and getting the opinion (reviews) of both normal folk, as well as a few people who I thought knew a thing or two.

Because I'm simply careful on what I buy into. History has taught me that impulse buying when regarding online developments, has not been good for either myself or others.

I wrote up review in 2013 (several of them) and I'm in the process of finishing up my 2014 reviews. Some people will find it useful and informative, while others like yourself will dismiss it. In the end I write my reviews because I hope they will be helpful for people like me, but also I write them up for myself (I like to attempt to overcome those paid fluff pieces and give people a real opinion). :)

Top Bottom