Xenforo Resources for 2.x Addons needs sub-categories or prefixes

The categories were removed after XF1 as resources were posted in the wrong category, or they applied to more than one category.
Yeah, but now we have a dogs breakfast scenario. It's even worse.
Prefixes, with mandated usage when creating/editing, would at least go a long way to make filtering and searching easier.

That’s the addon makers problem.

Sort of like removing/restricting functionality because otherwise a site's members and their content makes more administrative work for admin/staff. The outcome of course being that the content itself still becomes unfriendly, detracting from usability and discovery. It's not resolving the issue, just making it worse.

I gather that the resources xf addon is similar to how the media gallery works (there are categories you can create for each resource too).

With over 2,000+ resources within https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/add-ons-2-x.44/ we really need sub-categories, or at least prefixes applied, for easier searching and locating. We had sub-categories in 1.x add-ons.
I think it needs custom fields with filters.

I would not be willing to all of the sudden have to update 600~ addons and categorize them or add tags, prefixes etc.

I would not be willing to all of the sudden have to update 600~ addons and categorize them or add tags, prefixes etc.
That's why using prefixes, mandated when creating/editing/updating, is a good and viable solution. And something XF can quickly and easily turn on within RM. Permissions could even allow prefix adding/editing by others too, if XF wanted to short circuit the initial 'fill'

That's not viable for me, a lot of my addons span multiple categories or would require multiple prefixes. I'd also say that many of mine wouldn't fit into any category/prefix they would add.

Too much to put on the few of us developers left here supporting the software with our addons.

That's not viable for me, a lot of my addons span multiple categories or would require multiple prefixes.
If you cannot be bothered for content discovery, then you'd only put one prefix when creating/updating an addon.
My suggestion on prefix permissions for others would also allow community sourcing of applicable prefixes, at least for an initial 30 days or so.

I'd also say that many of mine wouldn't fit into any category/prefix they would add.
Simply fixed with an 'other' prefix.

It's not that simple, I would have to ask the developers to add prefixes/categories that only one addon would fit into, that's dumb.

It's not difficult to type into the search and find an addon.

Let's say there are 2k addons for XF2

346 are unmaintained and probably would never get a prefix.

630~ are mine
470~ are Andy's
95~ are Xon's
68~ are Bassman's

So 1263~ are from four developers, adding the 346 unmaintained gives us 1600~ leaving 400 addons from every other developer participating on XF. Putting that additional work on the four developers is crazy.

It's not difficult to type into the search and find an addon.
It's quite difficult. Different wording in names, search words and phrases bringing up irrelevant results. It's a dog's breakfast currently.

Putting that additional work on the four developers is crazy.
The adding of prefix(es) when an addon is created or updated I don't feel is crazy.
And, as I've already said, community sourcing the initial effort to add prefixes, or even ongoing maintain them, could mean no work on developers.

So if you can not find an addon by searching, how is having that addon in a category or prefix that 400 other addons are in the category or have that prefix going to help find it?

And no, I wouldn't want people deciding what category or prefix my addons should/shouldn't have.

Top Bottom