XenForo-optimised VPS hosting

Hi Shamil.

I currently host with Surpass Hosting. This is my first website and, well, I have learned a lot. I bought into the whole "unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth" pitch. My site runs fine 90% of the time but there are spikes each day where the site is slow. Also, my site isn't live yet. It has maybe 5 concurrent users at max each day. When it goes live I expect that number to jump. My number one competitor had a max concurrent users of 220 online, but I expect to be normally have around 50-100 users online to start and then grow.

I definitely require managed hosting as I have zero experience maintaining any aspect of the server or it's files. I would be trusting your company 100% in all aspects of hosting. I would use cPanel for managing my database, backups, and files.

So that's the history I can share. The specific questions I have are:

1. I have no idea how to anticipate my bandwidth needs. I want to ensure whatever company I choose for hosting, that I have the ability to grow as my site does. If I start out on a lower VPS plan, I would like to be able to increase to a higher VPS plan and eventually (if necessary) a dedicated server without any penalties. Does your company offer this flexibility?

2. I offer an embedded media player on my site for Livestream. My members can visit my site and view live streaming video sent via Livestream. How intensive is the bandwidth usage involved? Or (hopefully) is all the bandwitdth handled by Livestream?

3. I offer locally hosted videos. I anticipate soon having a library of about 3000 videos averaging about 5 minutes each. Some will be less then 60 seconds, others will be the live stream recordings which can be a couple hours in length. The issue I have is disk space. My forums are normal in most regard but I need a solution for storing these videos. With my current host's "unlimited" storage it is not a problem.

4. I really can't speak to most of the things I see advertised by hosts regarding RAM, processor type, Apache hosting and other specs. What I do know is I desire consistent, uninterrupted, fast response times for my web pages.

Also, does your company offer a satisfaction guarantee of any type?

Sorry for the many questions, but it comes with the potential offer of my business :)

Hi Oracle,

I had intended to respond to your post earlier however I was unable to as I was in early investors meeting.

I will attempt to answer your questions as fully as possible was keeping your customisation in your circumstance in regard.

Our server technicians monitor your virtual private server's resources regularly. We monitor things such as bandwidth usage, RAM, CPU utilisation and server load averages. Our server technicians will automatically make adjustments to the server where necessary in order to facilitate a completely smooth experience for your website visitors whilst ensuring performances optimal. Our system is set up such that we allow clients to upgrade or downgrade between hosting packages as and when necessary. We would also be able to complete a transition to a dedicated server of our network or any other network as per your requirements.

In response to your enquiry pertinent to Livestream in that you serve media such as live events, I am happy to report that the service requires no additional bandwidth use by your server and is completely independent of your server with Radon Systems. I note that you host a few 3000 videos on your server, this may impact your bandwidth requirements such that it will be higher than expected. We will attempt to accommodate the extra bandwidth usage where necessary and may request that you host your files of such nature on a Content Delivery System such as MaxCDN. We would, of course negotiate this with you before any decision is taken as this is a completely managed but informed service. We are able to rapidly expand your disk availability and space as and when required subject to the availability of disk space on the VPS node. This is not likely to be an issue, though note that additional costs may be incurred for the extra disk space allocated. I should add that there is no such thing as “unlimited" resources.

We can certainly supply you with a consistent, uninterrupted, fast response times for your website to benefit your website's visitors.

We do not offer a satisfaction guarantee at this moment in time, however we do offer trials for our services if required.

I hope you are satisfied with my responses to your questions, and if you need further clarification, or want to ask/add any thing, please do!

Shamil. I hate you

I hate you

There has to be a great story behind this last part.....

Thank you for the thorough explanation. If you can PM me with any details concerning pricing, including the MaxCDN portion, I would appreciate it. The only note is I was preferring to keep my content within one local set of servers. If my video content is in one location, and my website is in another, I am not clear if there may be a performance impact.

There has to be a great story behind this last part.....

Thank you for the thorough explanation. If you can PM me with any details concerning pricing, including the MaxCDN portion, I would appreciate it. The only note is I was preferring to keep my content within one local set of servers. If my video content is in one location, and my website is in another, I am not clear if there may be a performance impact.

I was dictating the whole post using Dragon Dictate :P I was telling the software how much I hate it :o

Sure I certainly will!

There is now a limited 10% discount sale window, only available for 48 hours starting at time of post! Use coupon "10OFF".

I was dictating the whole post using Dragon Dictate :p I was telling the software how much I hate it :eek:

Sure I certainly will!
If you mumble incoherently to naturally speaking it will tell you the future (lol not really but it does say some funny stuff) Shamil I am sorry for the off-topical...but I can understand your frustration with dictation software :-)

If you mumble incoherently to naturally speaking it will tell you the future (lol not really but it does say some funny stuff) Shamil I am sorry for the off-topical...but I can understand your frustration with dictation software :)

How I wish that were true!

How I wish that were true!
Hi Shamil,
Our forum has more than 170,000 members and 4 millions posts. We have about 2,000 to 3,000 online users at the same time. Do you have any XenForo-optimised dedicated server plan that fits our forum?

Hi Shamil,
Our forum has more than 170,000 members and 4 millions posts. We have about 2,000 to 3,000 online users at the same time. Do you have any XenForo-optimised dedicated server plan that fits our forum?

Yes, they're just not on public display :) Will be later this quarter though. Drop me a PM, and we can discuss it in detail.

Thanks Shamil. I think your prices are very reasonable. Although, I wish the monthly charge to add cpanel was less.

Notice:

If you try to pay using the Credit/Debit card option, the payment processor may fail the process. We've contacted our processor, CardinalCommerce and are currently attempting to resolve the issue.

Shamil can you point to reviews of your service. I was reading through the waterloo forums you host, the admin there was saying how awful the service was.

I was reading through the waterloo forums you host, the admin there was saying how awful the service was.

Hello,

Since the client was placed on an optimised package for his platform, he has not since had any problems, or that was reported to us. Unfortunately, trying to fit a large website on a package really meant for a smaller site doesn't bode well.

I will compile a public list.

Hello,

Since the client was placed on an optimised package for his platform, he has not since had any problems, or that was reported to us. Unfortunately, trying to fit a large website on a package really meant for a smaller site doesn't bode well.

I will compile a public list.
I hope they're as good as your CV ;)

Or real

When you say placed on an optimised package for his platform what do you actually mean?

I hope they're as good as your CV ;)

Or real

When you say placed on an optimised package for his platform what do you actually mean?

You haven't seen my CV, but it is something I am proud of.

The client initially purchased a server with insufficient RAM given the nature of his website.

We upgraded the client by offering him an optimised package at a reduced price. This meant that the client had a managed solution, comprising of performance monitoring, the LiteSpeed Web Server, MySQL tuning, PHP/object performance optimisations etc. We offered to provide a custom LAMP setup, however this was declined in favour of a popular control panel.

For some clients, we can go through code that they have written themselves, to ensure that it performs optimally - things such as rewriting SQL queries, how templates are handled (for vBulletin).

Soon, clients on the optimised package may benefit from Cloudflare integration.

Top Bottom