XenForo needs a Lawrence Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locking threads like this asking for information will achieve nothing, apart from driving it onto other forums (with even more concern expressed). Like what's happened already and linked to in the first post on Admin Addict, posted because of previous locked threads here asking about it. Lock it, we'll still talk about it there just the same way. What does that get all you folk wanting it locked in the long-run, nothing?
Yes but they are not doing that and that in itself *is* the concern.
Wait... so it is a problem when threads are locked but now it is also a problem when threads aren't locked? :cautious:

I don't think anybody's asking for full explanations of every move the company makes.

What we have here, is that first Kier, then Mike, and now Brogan - between them the full public face of XenForo - have disappeared *completely* from the public forums.

I'm not interested in who is answering tickets, that isn't the point.

Whenever this subject gets brought up here and elsewhere, it gets descended upon by a bunch of fanbois shouting it down. The point is, the gradual disappearance of the *entire public face* of XenForo, *is* a legitimate concern for anyone running a serious website.

*All* that is required is a short statement from the company, nothing more. That is not too much to ask.

Of course I trust Kier, always have, and I know he was often quiet on vBulletin for long periods, but this is different, there is the small matter of a multi million pound copyright lawsuit going on that has the potential to end the product and thus the sites of people using it or considering using it. The refusal to issue an explanation in the face of mounting public concern can ONLY be viewed as a serious cause for concern, however I try to look at it.

It's not about 1.2. I don't care when 1.2 comes out. I don't care what's in it (well, I do, but not in the sense this thread refers to). I DO care that the entire public face of the company has suddenly disappeared from the forums without explanation. That is all.
1. I don't believe Kier and/or Mike should be the primary user interface. If their performance role is development, dealing with us whiny children isn't the best use of their time.
2. They already have enough on their plate between their corporate ownership role and their performance role.
3. There isn't a technical issue at play here.
4. No one really cares if Kier and/or Mike logs into the forums. No one should really expect them to.
5. There are some justified criticisms, but they aren't critical of any one personally, the support received or the people involved.
6. Even if there are personal issues surrounding Kier, we have no right to know what's going on. That is completely off the table.
7. There is an ongoing lawsuit. No one should expect any comment for XF as a company. Their response should rightly be, "We don't comment on active lawsuits". There are enough smart people providing some good analysis in another thread. Thats pretty much all you get on that.
8. All that is really needed is a customer communications plan and someone responsible for properly executing that plan, someone who communicates to the customers on behalf of the company and receives feedback from the customer base and carried that back to the company in a controlled, non-chaotic fashion.

Reactions: Rob
6. Even if there are personal issues surrounding Kier, we have no right to know what's going on. That is completely off the table.

I really don't know where people keep getting this idea we're asking about Kier's personal life? Not the case at all and some, the "fanboys" are using it as an excuse to try and argue their case back. Load of rubbish that one, nobody is interested in prying into his personal life.

If I was, I'd ask him what he eats for breakfast? Beans on toast maybe? :coffee:

We humans are curious creatures. That's why we walked out of Africa and sailed across the world...then invented the internet and created forums.

I agree, but THEY set themselves up like that. To change it without telling anyone, is what is causing the problem.
That doesn't mean as events change, they shouldn't adapt with it.

Then they should come out and explain this.
No, they shouldn't. How they run the internals of XenForo is entirely up to them.

That is patently not the case, people DO care, because they are the public face of the product.
And that should change, for their benefit as well as ours.

I agree, in fact that is all I and others are asking for, despite the apparent hysteria. But it currently isn't happening. And that is giving rise to legitimate concerns that could be wiped away in seconds. The fact that they clearly know this and STILL don't say anything, causes EVEN MORE concern in itself.
Execute this and the other issues are overcome by events. If I were advising them, I would suggest that they remove themselves from these forums altogether. Instead, I would hold quarterly or semiannual town hall meetings through something like LiveLink or WebEx - a controlled, 60-90 minute event on an announcement/Q&A format.

Why do I get the feeling of deja vu with this thread. Its like a broken record. Leave the guys alone for god sake. Im not supprised you get short responces like "thats all it is" because personally I would get sick of it and probably wouldnt have replied at all. If the next version comes out in the next few week people are gonna be "Ohhh so thats where you been, sneaky ;)" and silly other comments without a second thought for the massive amount of stress they have had doubled by you lot.

The product as it stands is fine, however I do not have confidence as to its future development at the moment.
Then why does it matter to you? You have stated you won't be using it and will be sticking with vB. Why not ask for a refund and move on?

John, if you're going to feed them, you might as well have some fun along the way...

actuarial.png

No offense to those really concerned but I think you guys are overreacting. I am an admin a few big sites and we're not even thinking about the next version of XenForo or an update. Just like any company (even though now it's more common) doesn't need to update every single thing they do. Two months is honestly not that much to be concerned, I'd really get concerned if it got to more than four. Software sometimes can take long cycles and well counting that XF has a lawsuit and a small team, it could take a bit more, they also have lives and have no investors backing.

I think you guys should just relax, keep working and enjoying your sites and when they time comes, you'll have an update with everything you need to know. I REALLY doubt Mike and Kier would throw this awesome piece of software to the trash or let it go. ;)

No offense to those really concerned but I think you guys are overreacting. I am an admin a few big sites and we're not even thinking about the next version of XenForo or an update. Just like any company (even though now it's more common) doesn't need to update every single thing they do. Two months is honestly not that much to be concerned, I'd really get concerned if it got to more than four. Software sometimes can take long cycles and well counting that XF has a lawsuit and a small team, it could take a bit more, they also have lives and have no investors backing.

I think your missing the point somewhat though, this is not really about when the next version of XenForo 1.2 is getting released, more about the lack of not knowing what's going on right now. You can't be as active like all three of them was before on this forum, then suddenly Kier, Mike and even Brogan are not being seen posting or showing online since. It's to be expected it's going to raise some questions getting asked, you'd be very naive to think otherwise. They've gone from one extreme to the other, it's not even happened supple like but very drastically.

I think your missing the point somewhat though, this is not really about when the next version of XenForo 1.2 is getting released, more about the lack of not knowing what's going on right now. You can't be as active like all three of them was before on this forum, then suddenly Kier, Mike and even Brogan are not being seen posting or showing online since. It's to be expected it's going to raise some questions getting asked, you'd be very naive to think otherwise.
There is obviously something going on, but sometimes you certainly have to hold your voice before letting everyone know what's going on, things my need to get corrected or whatever is that is going on behind, what I mean is there is nothing to achieve by rumoring what could be happening when we really have no clue, I'm sure sooner or later, for good or bad, everything will be cleared, or at least I'd hope so, but it still does not concern me as a license holder.

I think your missing the point somewhat though, this is not really about when the next version of XenForo 1.2 is getting released, more about the lack of not knowing what's going on right now. You can't be as active like all three of them was before on this forum, then suddenly Kier, Mike and even Brogan are not being seen posting or showing online since. It's to be expected it's going to raise some questions getting asked, you'd be very naive to think otherwise. They've gone from one extreme to the other, it's not even happened supple like but very drastically.

Generally 90% of all new business startups fail in the first two years. We're barely coming up to two years, and we also have a lawsuit to deal with. I think it's wise to say that we want to get past that two year phase so things settle in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom