Xenforo needs a game addon!

IMHO forum games need to be carefully managed. You don't want a bunch of people sucking up your server's resources by playing 24/7 instead of actually posting to your forum. I wouldn't integrate a game with my forum as I don't see any benefit games contribute to the forum. If it doesn't generate content it's not worth doing, that's how it is in my book anyway. If they want games they can go and play Farmville or whatever else there is out there in terms of browser based games.

IMHO forum games need to be carefully managed. You don't want a bunch of people sucking up your server's resources by playing 24/7 instead of actually posting to your forum. I wouldn't integrate a game with my forum as I don't see any benefit games contribute to the forum. If it doesn't generate content it's not worth doing, that's how it is in my book anyway. If they want games they can go and play Farmville or whatever else there is out there in terms of browser based games.
sometimes you just want fun :) I love rpg game's and never used the **** on facebook or facebook for that matter :)

IMHO forum games need to be carefully managed. You don't want a bunch of people sucking up your server's resources by playing 24/7 instead of actually posting to your forum. I wouldn't integrate a game with my forum as I don't see any benefit games contribute to the forum. If it doesn't generate content it's not worth doing, that's how it is in my book anyway.

Games is very useful, there are yes a issue with the "distraction" (users will play instead of posting discussions) but there are many solutions for this. You can restrict the play of games on a particolar usergroup for active users after a month or two of free play for all...and with this with a bit of luck you will see your forum activity growing.

If you can get it working, you should be able to run the poker game with xenforo board using the xenforo specific module.

This is great! There are already a Poker addon but it's not standalone (hate hosted services...). As i understand, this is not a flash game.

Now that I had some time to mull this over I think it would be great if you could either sell forum game currency to users for RL cash, or if users would earn game currency via forum posts/points.

Now that I had some time to mull this over I think it would be great if you could either sell forum game currency to users for RL cash, or if users would earn game currency via forum posts/points.

I'm also think the same, with a currency integrated with others addons (like games, shop etc.) there are more fun and more activity in the forum. For this i think we have to wait that DB-Tech will convert this mods (VbCredits, VbShop etc.) on Xenforo (they said that probably will be converted on this summer).

Hi again,

I should have something working soon to anyone interested.

Below are features but not complete that make the game beneficial to an already existing community or new one.

The game currently locks at 1 post but it can be set to higher number to allow access. It does currently at login.

The game can also be modified to integrate with a point system as it currently support in its original release with an another board money mod.
If xenforo has similar point system and not difficult to integrate, the feature can be added.

Hook can be created to allow admin/mods to transfer and give away cash/points to members who have lost big and want to restart again. The old VB arcade has that cool feature.

As one mentions, there is many possibilities to make the game more attractive and useful. Game can be restricted on user rank , he/she can create its own table to play with friends he invites.

The original developer is testing whether or not the poker game can hosted elsewhere while still allowing the forum running in hosted server or by its own, freeing resources and cpu. But per Cubeia, it should not takes a lot of bandwidth due to Styx protocol they use. An example of this will be install the game on an Amazon EC2 instance.

The beauty of this game is it does not lock you to a proprietary registration database source but on your own site. While it's also fun to play with other free site, it more fun to play with friends at your own community where you can challenge in tournaments when the sit'n go will be released. Furthermore, the game does not alter any existing table for a forum but only its own.

Source code of the game is AGPL3, available to the general public for free to use and modify as long as abiding to AGPL3 licence. The game has 2 parts: client is flash based running Adobe flex on the client side so most browser is supported and server code is based on Java. There is no download. It just opens in a browser window. I do like to see this game run on a chrome notebook and an IPAD.

The quality of this game is professional grade since it is based on Cubeia's firebase long time proven technology which the game was modified to work for forum.

Cubeia is a well known company that releases open source for gaming platform. Currently the game can handle 10000 concurrent users on their tests. But it just simply does not end here, anyone can write and make more games for forum. Read more at:

Poker: http://www.cubeia.com/index.php/blog/archives/120
Game: http://www.cubeia.org/index.php/poker
Styx protocol: http://www.cubeia.com/index.php/blog/archives/155
Amazon EC2: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/

You can see the big changes as the games is visually better from the original version while having forum integration capabilities.

Update of Xenforo module work for the game:

1. Authentication using sha1/sha256 against XF's database using user name and password.

2. Retrieving member's avatar or gravatar if one is provided.

The 2 above points were the main requirements to be able to use the poker game with Xenforo. Some fine tuning and integration test with the game left to be done.

You will need to pass the basic requirements to install firebase as instructed in the official site.

Released for Xenforo, please read instructions to install: http://xtrasocial.org/index.php?/topic/21-xenforo-support/

A snapshot at lobby after authentication and at table using member's avatar by retrieving from the granatar site.

xenforolobby.webp

xenforopkr.webp

HD

Just drop by to let you guys know that I have put a new version of the game which no longer requires download since it uses Html5 & Websocket.

Test site:
Game after sign up : http://xtrasocial.org/holdem.

Please test drive it to see if you like. While the site demo is for IPB , the game can be hosted on a VPS for a Xenforo board by changing the configuration for authentication. I've tested successfully back then authentication and avatar retrieval. Haven't retested on newer version though. But if it has changed, it will be an easy fix.

Report any issue you find on test board is appreciated.

Only requirement is to use browser which support HTML5 websocket like Safari, Chrome. Haven't tested with Firefox yet. Only later version may work.

I'm currently working on merging old working code to support cash persistence to database and member's avatar retrieval.

Yes, it plays nicely on Ipad 2 through Safari.

Have been MIA for a while but resuming game development now due to big changes have been done on poker code from Cubeia.

HD

Hi, I'm adding code to support Xenforo for a friend's request. The game is free to use and can be deployed on any server but better be a VPS or one with root account. The original developer has made it truly open so I can easily add code for database authentication to Xenforo and retrieving member's avatar without affecting current database, so the game can run with a simple configuration to switch to Xenforo. I'm half way done coding.
It's pretty fast!

View attachment 15957

View attachment 15958

You can get more info of testing the prerequisites required to run the game here:
http://bit.ly/iXWGBx

If you can get it working, you should be able to run the poker game with xenforo board using the xenforo specific module.

@HD10180 was this ever completed??

The one I'm doing is closer to how RPG Inferno, but more robust and integrated into XenForo as much as possible.

Already have one professional illustrator who's said she'd do a lot of the graphics for the storylines we have planned for my own site :).

@Forsaken hope this finds you safe and well during these crazy times... did you ever complete an RPG add on for XF? If so, I'd be interested in discussing it with you - if you'd consider its release.

Stay well!

@Forsaken hope this finds you safe and well during these crazy times... did you ever complete an RPG add on for XF? If so, I'd be interested in discussing it with you - if you'd consider its release.

Stay well!
A friend and I started one around 2012-2013, but we didn't do much with it because things came up.

Top Bottom