Xenforo mobile vs Tapatalk

Chimpie

I'm really impressed with how XF appears on my phone. As we prepare to make the switch I'm pondering ditching Tapatalk.

Has anyone running Xenforo w/ Tapatalk installed polled their users to see which they like better?

Seriously, Get rid off Tapatalk (n)
Care to expand on that?

We have it installed on our vB forum and have A LOT of users using it access our site. I would say more than 50%.

I'm concerned that if we ditch TT we may see a decline in users checking in.

I think if your Forum has 60%+ Smart Phone users/visitors then Tapatalk is good for you.

Care to expand on that?

We have it installed on our vB forum and have A LOT of users using it access our site. I would say more than 50%.

I'm concerned that if we ditch TT we may see a decline in users checking in.
They will protest and some will never return as they only found the site through TT in the first place.. But i do not regret letting TT go.. If you have TT installed on your forum then you don't need to hear my laundry list of complaints as a forum owner.. But i will say your members are not likely to care what your reasons are for removing the plugin.. All they want is their app to work on the sites they frequent..

Until last year lot of our members were asking about Tapatalk or forumrunner but now all of them seems to like responsive design pretty much everyone like how it works . Until they are fine with it i don't think i will need any apps for now.

As a regular user on several different forums for my hobby (reef aquariums) I find the TT push alerts very handy for keeping up. Also TT does have it's media limitations but most heavy users understand that. Also it is extremely handy for quickly browsing through the active topics you follow on multiple forums, all in one app. It makes "keeping up" quick and easy.

That being said, the responsive design of XF makes viewing on a browser a MUCH more palatable experience. Having full functionality on mobile for XF and TAZ, etc is something that was pretty simple to transition to. But I still keep TT on my own sites because I, among many other users, use it frequently, and anything that doesn't show up right you can switch right to Web View to see it on the full site.

I know that 3Reef dropped TT when they converted and they got a huge backlash. The browser interface on XF is great but there are people that use TT for the specific purposes like I stated above.

Do what you want but ultimately it comes down to what your users want, and if you want to risk losing them. I know people that only use TT and won't hardly bother to frequent a site that doesn't use it.

I lost few members but happy that finally I took a strong decision to get rid of TT.

Now my twitter posts don't appear as unsupported media and members use more options of post rating on mobile version of XF.

And I myself can easily create threads with full editor support. TT is handy but very less developed for such advanced board like Xenforo.

It's been discussed here multiple times (use the search). Overall consensus is to stop using Tapatalk, even if you have some traffic from there. It would make much more sense in the long run.
Give your users the ability to make "web app" on there phone desktop. It's like Tapatalk in a sense. It's also hard/impossible to implement ads in Tapatalk, so you're losing revenue.

I would have loved to kick Tapatalk to the curb, but my users complained bitterly when I did so. So it's back in place again.
So did mine.. But TT didn't get an encore on my site. It's definitely a double edge sword and it's been uninstalled for so long that it really wouldn't even be fair for me to comment too much against it anymore since I have no idea what the experience is like anymore. although I do admit that I was so disenchanted with TT I won't even install it on my phone.

So did mine.. But TT didn't get an encore on my site. It's definitely a double edge sword and it's been uninstalled for so long that it really wouldn't even be fair for me to comment too much against it anymore since I have no idea what the experience is like anymore. although I do admit that I was so disenchanted with TT I won't even install it on my phone.
Same with me. It has been off of my forums for about 5 months now and I had 3-4 people rage quit over it. But at the end of the day, I can't control the ads, not matter what they say. I still have 10-12 people visit my site and 10-15 ads every day (according to their analytics) and it isn't even installed on the site anymore. If they still think that I am generating views with it not even installed, why the hell should I even begin to believe the views/ads when it comes to paying me. You look at the "lack" of support forums and it is just one horror story after another.

I got google DFP working with the responsive design, and I am actually making more adsense and private ad sales money now then I ever did before. best part is that I have full control over everything the end user sees. Currently they lose push notifications, but at the end of the day, better security and me being able to control the content the end user gets is a tradeoff I can handle.

Russ

Has anyone considered having a Tapatalk style created for the narrowest width responsive design?

Doubt it would attract any real user favoritism. Having tapatalk as a theme is like Facebook back jn the day having their app as an html5 browser. It looking like something doesn't make it act like it.

Forget notifications, just typing in the web browser is a huge experience change from typing in an app like tapatalk. Personally I use both side by side all day long. If I have a long message, tapatalking it because its easier to navigate, no clumsy hitting controls on the site.

Top Bottom