xenForo meaning

PS I just noticed there is a WYSIWYG text editor for Chrome :O Not sure why all the BBcode buttons go away when you press it though :(

The Wysiwyg is enabled by default... when you click the
switchmode.png
button you are turning it off and so the buttons run away

I know, but wouldn't it be handy to have the bbcode buttons still available so we can easily format things?

That would require a completely separate editor instance - and I'm really not convinced that it's worth the effort to produce a point-and-click editor for non-WYSIWYG mode, when the WYSIWYG editor works in all modern desktop browsers.

Ah shame.

The WYSIWYG editor is way too buggy to be used all the time, especially with multiple BBCodes.
Plus it's lacking some essential (for my site) BBCode buttons, although I don't know if more can be added easily?

The plain text editor on the other hand is way too basic as it means having to type out all the BBCodes.

Hopefully someone will create a mod which has the best of both.

That would require a completely separate editor instance - and I'm really not convinced that it's worth the effort to produce a point-and-click editor for non-WYSIWYG mode, when the WYSIWYG editor works in all modern desktop browsers.

I was pleasantly surprised that it WYSIWYG worked in chrome. My concern is that I allow HTML in some of my forums, and form experience, the WYSIWYG broke the html (tried to convert it to BBcode) and would not work properly again. At the same time the non-WYSIWYG is too raw as Brogan mentions for novices.

And here I figured it was Chinese/Spanish to represent the fact that all our products are Chinese and all our services are performed by.............

Well, maybe it wasn't fully formed thought after all.

Xen = Practice, Experience, Wisdom.
Only with years of practice can one experience enough to attain the wisdom required to with what they need and not what some market research tells you they need.
You cant fake that, you cant replace that, you cant be that if you didnt earn that.
The old vB developers have practiced, have the experience, and know have the wisdom to provide the users with what they need.
And what they needed was a true vBulletin 4.0, not a crippled vB3.9.

Foro can mean forum of course, it is the most basic understanding of the term.
But i like to think of it as Four O... 4.0.
As in the true vBulletin 4.0.

What we might have seen if the practice, experience, and wisdom wouldnt have been taken out of the vBulletin team.

I see somebody finally spotted that little gem :)
Thats the first thing that caught my eye with the name, and im a Spanish speaker.
But thats probably because im still pissed that i had to pay for vB4 when alpha of xF is already better than what i dropped nearly 300 dollars for.

So... anybody want to buy a vB4 license?
:D

from here
The Free Dictionary said:
xeno- before a vowel, xen- combining form indicating something strange, different, or foreign xenogamy [from Greek xenos strange]
+
Foro can mean forum of course, it is the most basic understanding of the term.
But i like to think of it as Four O... 4.0.
As in the true vBulletin 4.0.
A different 4.0? What a happy coincidence...I love it when ish just falls in place. It's a quaint and subtle reminder of the ironies in life. This just gets more and more interesting. lol

from here

+

A different 4.0? What a happy coincidence...I love it when ish just falls in place. It's a quaint and subtle reminder of the ironies in life. This just gets more and more interesting. lol
It might have helped because i kinda did something similar (albeit a lot less elegant) when i left a website that i helped administer once it was purchased by a large corporation.

I thought the new owners had killed the spirit of openness and fun the site had enjoyed for years, that they had somehow become the antithesis of what the site/forum was supposed to be.
So went i went about creating my own forum i wanted it to reflect the values that my previous forum had before the corporate buyout.
Their site was called PSD, so i called my site DSP.
Not very subtle, i know... but not everyone picked up on it right away.

So i think that might have helped me notice what Kier and Mike meant with Foro.
They have a little bit of that same evil streak in them... a good kind of evil of course ;)

Top Bottom