XenForo Installation Service - Do people actually buy it?

Jake B.

Something I never noticed until today for some reason is that XenForo offers an installation service for $50, is this something that people actually pay for? I'm slightly intrigued by the fact that someone would pay $50 for something that you can do in 5 minutes yourself for free :P

Something I never noticed until today for some reason is that XenForo offers an installation service for $50, is this something that people actually pay for? I'm slightly intrigued by the fact that someone would pay $50 for something that you can do in 5 minutes yourself for free :p

5 minutes for some, hours and headaches for others. I have plenty of clients who would rather simply pay for the service than deal with it themselves.

Something I never noticed until today for some reason is that XenForo offers an installation service for $50, is this something that people actually pay for? I'm slightly intrigued by the fact that someone would pay $50 for something that you can do in 5 minutes yourself for free :p
I remember in my very early days of IPB years ago i had to have my host do all that.. fortunately its a pretty standard service on just about any shared host.. (funny the more you pay the less those hosts offer..) I'm on a totally un managed dedi these days and sorely miss the old easy days and asking everyone else to do what i just hadn't been around long enough to learn..

Ill never forget the feeling of accomplishment and achievement when it all clicked and i was able to install my first plugin.. Forum installations come soon after.. lol then not long after that i offered an installation service of my own.. No one ever took me up on the offer and in hind site that was probably a good thing. :)

I want to know how many people request installation to an incompatible server then ask XenForo to make it compatible...

yes, I remember my first vB Forum, had to get my host to install it and then I paid for someone to import simple xml mods.
Then I sat back and read, watched Youtube videos and started to play
The first vB install I did was by watching a YouTube video, it was a great feeling when it all worked.
After that I just kept making, deleting and making again.
Years later all good...
I must say Xenforo is so much easier to install than vB...

You think it's easy, but it's only easy when you have say the FTP details. It could take a long time to even get the ftp details from someone... then you have others who want you to install it on their desktop or laptop... or want a backup on CD.

That's crazy.. Perhaps there should be some sort of notice on the option for the installation service that you have to have a compatible host already?

Or who haven't even purchased a domain, never mind hosting...
That's crazy.. Perhaps there should be some sort of notice on the option for the installation service that you have to have a compatible host already?
I think there should be a stupidity intelligence test on anyone wanting to buy XenForo. Fail that and they can't buy and they are banned from the site. ;)

Have you noticed there is also an upgrade extra you may purchase similar to the install service?

That just seems so silly to me. IMO (and I may be wrong in saying this, and will probably offend someone) if you can't figure out how to install/upgrade your forum, you really have no business running one, it's not like it even takes any intelligence, if you can't figure it out that all you have to do is type in a couple fields on the installer, the look up a youtube video on how to do it; it'll probably even show you how to create a database (which is fairly self-explanatory, espeically if you're using a control panel).. And for the people that have hosting that isn't compatible with XenForo it's their own problem, you guys provide a test script that it even says to run before you purchase your license. There is no excuse for people to do that, other than pure laziness.

The strangest thing i find is that people pay for upgrades, addons, styles installation. You can easily do that by copying and pasting the resource URL into the auto installers by Waindigo and Chris D.

That just seems so silly to me. IMO (and I may be wrong in saying this, and will probably offend someone) if you can't figure out how to install/upgrade your forum, you really have no business running one, it's not like it even takes any intelligence, if you can't figure it out that all you have to do is type in a couple fields on the installer, the look up a youtube video on how to do it; it'll probably even show you how to create a database (which is fairly self-explanatory, espeically if you're using a control panel).. And for the people that have hosting that isn't compatible with XenForo it's their own problem, you guys provide a test script that it even says to run before you purchase your license. There is no excuse for people to do that, other than pure laziness.

That is just short sighted. For several people, time is more valuable than money.

Top Bottom