1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XenForo.com keeps going down.

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Jake B., May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake B.

Jake B. Well-Known Member

It seems that XenForo.com has gone down about 5 times in the past couple days which is quite odd.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

DDoSes...

3. Jake B.

Ah, that's rough. By chance are they from Vietnam?

SneakyDave and Ernest L. Defoe like this.
  4. DennisSkov

DennisSkov Active Member

DDoS attacks aren't usually from one specific country. When attacked, it can be from China, Vietnam, Polan, Latvia, all at the same time. If the traffic was just coming from one country, it would be sort of easy to block.

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  5. Ernest L. Defoe

Ernest L. Defoe Well-Known Member

The reason @Jake B. asked about Vietnam was because another site got "hacked" and posts deleted because someone's mod account got compromised on that site by someone from a Vietnamese IP address and that IP address was shared with someone from a certain banned from here members warez site.

6. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Lol now we're suggesting ******* is trying to take out the very site that provides his means for a living? Classic!

The Forum Heroes, Alfa1 and Sheldon like this.
  7. Jake B.

It was actually meant as more of a joke

8. sonnb

sonnb Well-Known Member

I am curious why you thought that o_O

xfrocks and Nobita.Kun like this.
  9. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Ahhh, I figured more DNS issues.

10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I was busy finishing one of my walkthroughs for YouTube, and until eight minutes ago, I hadn't even been on here since 1:06 PM (PDT). In other words, I wasn't affected. :D

11. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

I believe @digitalpoint started using cloud flare after getting attacked as well and recommended them

12. Jake B.

Just to make it clear, I know nobody is dumb enough to attack a site they make their money off of..

13. The Forum Heroes

or hack a site in their niche they make money off of..

14. Jake B.

That is more likely. TAZ in no way causes him to make any money. It only hinders his appearance with the discussions about him.

15. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Nothing definitive on anything about ******* and the... let's call it a "hacking", nothing definitive about them behind the DDos...

yet.....

torches-and-pitchforks.jpg

Not defending anything, just saying... a bit extreme.

Sadik B, Divvens, Kevin and 3 others like this.
  16. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

Why not protect xenforo.com with Cloudflare?

17. The Forum Heroes

Why would they? CloudFlare is junk. Thousands of licenses @ min $100.00 each (based on highest discount tier) equals profits to afford real DDoS mitigation services from somewhere like Staminus.

Mr. Goodie2Shoes and Jake B. like this.
  18. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

What are you talking about? Cloudflare Business is $200/mo per website. No need to buy "thousands of licenses".

19. Jake B.

He's talking about there being thousands of xenforo licenses priced at a minimum of $100, which is the cheapest you can get a license at if you have enough of them

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  20. The Forum Heroes

Where did I ever say thousands of licenses needed to be purchased? If you reread carefully, you'll see I was talking about xenForos profit margin. Since no quarterly statements have ever been released, based on solely amount of licensed people who post here it can be assumed atleast several thousand xenforo licenses have been sold, giving a profit margin to afford a real service, not something intended for the hobby webmaster. Using CloudFlare for DDoS protection, is like hosting with GoDaddy.

Edit @Jake B. the super ninja! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.