XenForo Cloud discussion

I brought that up in Slack - it will require a general asset upload function (e.g. for page nodes, etc.).

Worth noting that the style archive and asset system we developed for XF 2.2 should reduce the need for this as much.

It allows style designers to include files as part of the archive so if that already includes various JavaScript, images, fonts or other types of web accessible files they will be included in the zip and uploaded to the relevant locations.

Finally, anything that might need to be customised, such as your actual logo rather than the designer’s logo will hopefully be made into a style property that uses the asset uploaded so you can switch the provided logo out for your own.

You may already do this for your metadata logo and other things included in the default XF style.

A workaround for anything else right now would be to extract a style zip, replace any logos, and install the archive from the Admin CP.

More details on that suite of features here:

The context of the conversation we had was - I think - adding non-style related files. I think custom images for widgets and page nodes may have been what we were talking about.

For styles I’m pretty sure as long as the archive is built using the new features from the HYS above that should be fine.

@Chris D
I also have a question related to Google Adsense, as I have been approved with the community to use Adsense but I need to upload a ads.txt file to the topleveldomain so that needs to be uploaded to the root folder of my cloud subscription.

Is their any possibility this can be done, or an option can be made you can upload such file when you have Google Adsense?

Greetz,
Alex

As far as I can recall there should be numerous ways to enable you to verify your domain with Google.

Including uploading a file, yes, but also DNS entries (which you can still create for your domain easily as we don't take over your nameservers) and adding a particular HTML tag to your template.

Are you sure none of these are available as an alternative to uploading a file?

As far as I can recall there should be numerous ways to enable you to verify your domain with Google.

Including uploading a file, yes, but also DNS entries (which you can still create for your domain easily as we don't take over your nameservers) and adding a particular HTML tag to your template.

Are you sure none of these are available as an alternative to uploading a file?
I have added a screenshot :)

Attachments

• ads.webp
    ads.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 69
I would def use your cloud service if it was a little less expensive. :) This is a great idea but gosh it's quite expensive for newer, slow communities. One caveat is if you could include a tier plan option for @Kier to be the voice behind outgoing voicemail messages ;) - Heck this would probably make you a fortune. LOL

It's not for everyone but some people will prefer cloud over self hosted for the convenience and hands off approach.

As for pricing, I've seen many customers with small/new forums who are paying more than this in monthly hosting fees ...

I don't think its a bad price at all considering your have the licence and apps with it.
That's true if does includes Media and Resources etc. I guess adding the cost of them all up annually equates to the cost of xf cloud?
It's not for everyone but some people will prefer cloud over self hosted for the convenience and hands off approach.

As for pricing, I've seen many customers with small/new forums who are paying more than this in monthly hosting fees ...
That's true but I pay $7 a month with Hawkhost with pretty good customer service. The good news is XF runs smoothly nearly 100% of the time on most hosting platforms. Most of my tech problems are caused by my error anyway. LOL With this cloud service I like that if something happens (say a DDOS attack) XF will be the first to know and likely take care of it asap and of course, any other tech issues which is really great of newbies.) I think if it were half the cost I would probably engage. Not having to worry about the back-end of tech hosting stuff is very alluring.

Last edited:
That's true if does includes Media and Resources etc. I guess adding the cost of them all up annually equates to the cost of xf cloud?

That's true but I pay $7 a month with Hawkhost with pretty good customer service. The good news is XF runs smoothly nearly 100% of the time on most hosting platforms. Most of my tech problems are caused by my error anyway. LOL With this cloud service I like that if something happens (say a DDOS attack) XF will be the first to know and likely take care of it asap and of course, any other tech issues which is really great of newbies.) I think if it were half the cost I would probably engage. Not having to worry about the back-end of tech hosting stuff is very alluring.
The testing offer is $30, which is fairly cheap if you are wanting to start a new forum.

I have a new site I plan to work on, so it works out to try it (at $30), but normally not having access to the file system or being able to make adjustments is a deal breaker for me. The site I would host doesn't likely need it so 🤷‍♂️.

I am currently testing the cloud version and it's pretty slick and smooth.

Something for NEW clients to consider (which I don't see addressed in detail) is that a Xenforo license is not required.
The subscription is all inclusive unless you go over the allowed limits and then the next service level price would apply.

One of the things I like is that if for SOME REASON the site goes viral and you get mega traffic the upgrade should be be fairly seamless. The unfortunate part is that viral is usually only for a while and in a few months if things die down I assume one could go back to the regular service level if the next level was overkill.

Being it is in Beta I appreciate that the Xenforo staff is open to our concerns and from what I see they are pretty fluid. The other thing I have noticed is I have seen no hostility on the support forums, whereas for a lot of other software's there is always the implied "are you stupid or something" without the poster realizing we are all new at one point. @Brogan and @Chris D have made me feel welcome even though I have made some of the traditional newbie mistakes.

One of the things I like is that if for SOME REASON the site goes viral and you get mega traffic the upgrade should be be fairly seamless. The unfortunate part is that viral is usually only for a while and in a few months if things die down I assume one could go back to the regular service level if the next level was overkill.
We'll potentially be somewhat fluid on this too. If it is a temporary and short term - probably more like a few weeks than a few months - it may not immediately require increasing to the next tier in terms of our page view counting. Though of course if increased hardware requirements like RAM/CPU need increasing to handle the increased traffic then it might be necessary but, yes, it will be possible to move between tiers.

Being it is in Beta I appreciate that the Xenforo staff is open to our concerns and from what I see they are pretty fluid. The other thing I have noticed is I have seen no hostility on the support forums, whereas for a lot of other software's there is always the implied are you stupid or something without the poster realizing we are all new at one point. @Brogan and @Chris D have made me feel welcome even though I have made some of the traditional newbie mistakes.
👍 Thanks for the kind words.

Not sure this has been asked, but do you provide some kind of test access for add-on developers to check their add-ons compatibility ?

@XFA : You can read this from @Chris D
Nope. Most add-ons will work without question just like they will on every other server. The sticking point - which applies to the add-on @Xon mentioned earlier - is anything that requires modifying files or even src/config.php because there is no way to access, view or edit files on a cloud install. That said, I believe there is a solution in place to workaround the config.php requirement so it's a moot point in that case.

We're really talking a diminishingly small number of add-ons so there doesn't need to be a question of "will this work" because 999 times out of 1000 it almost certainly will.

Looking at the prices of the new cloud plans, I think this is gonna be very difficult.
I'm not a marketing guy, but starting at $60 would do it for me for sure.
I know all the hassle to run my own server and would love to pay for this for my existing forums.

Problem: You can't import an existing XF site. So that's a no go for me.

Okay, so who is going to use this service? We all know most forums start very small, with some kind of stupid idea.
When I have a stupid idea, I would pay maybe $5 a month for something to try. If it is going big, I would upgrade.
... but starting at $60 a month, what exactly is your target audience?

Top Bottom