XenForo Cloud discussion

Guys, so finally announced officially. Very hapy with this groundbreaking step for XF Team.

For existing sites, when we can migrate? 😁

And I have a new project almost ready to deploy. Going full XF Cloud for sure.

Problem: You can't import an existing XF site.
Yet. This is the next phase.

We all know most forums start very small, with some kind of stupid idea.
When I have a stupid idea, I would pay maybe $5 a month for something to try.
But you can't purchase the software to try it for less than $160. Less of an issue for you if you already own a license, of course.

... but starting at $60 a month, what exactly is your target audience?
People who:
  • Can't or don't want to set up their own server/hosting
  • Don't want to pay $160 (+ add-ons, + domain, + hosting costs) up-front for a project that may be experimental or not get off the ground
  • Want peace of mind in terms of support, backup, SSL certificates, DDoS protection
  • Know that support interactions between different providers (e.g. hosts vs. software developers) can sometimes be problematic
Obviously some of that you acknowledge for your own use case so clearly not beyond the realms of possibility, comments about migration notwithstanding but that service won't take too long to come to fruition.

Also, more simply, it seems the target audience are those that are already signing up to it :)

Too rich for a tiny site like mine but I like the look of it. If I ever do a larger site, I might well go for this. My purchase price is long since amortized out of existence (we are 8 years old come spring), so it is just my monthly costs for hosting and XF maintenance which are WAAAAY lower than $60 a month.

Exactly. Invariably our existing customers like/enjoy all of the things that you basically can't do with XF Cloud. Tinkering with servers, managing them, trying out new tech toys, tweaking things. Those that do not like that often aren't our customers. Yet. Now we've opened that avenue.

Equally there will be some existing license holders who will appreciate the value of just getting on with running the forum, and not getting into the weeds of servers/hosting.

That said when you are on a shared server you do not bother with the server either, it is managed by the host.

It wouldn't be consistent with the activity of my forum currently to switch to XF Cloud, but as soon as it becomes viable I won't hesitate, I'm still and always impressed by the speed of sites hosted via XF Cloud... Maybe because for the moment these are small forums very little frequented ? Probably.

When the migration will be possible I would be curious to see a big big forum at work on XF Cloud.

Really starting to take shape by the looks of it.

The $60 price point will be very attractive to those also looking at Discourse, which starts at $100.
Looks like you've got addons working now, which is awesome.
The .community.forum url is also killer.

All the ones I've tried so far feel very nippy too.

I did feel a particular sense of achievement when I bagged .community.forum - it speaks to what we stand for more than anything.
As an aside, I go back and forth with good .forum names that I think of. Are they worth buying? Will .forum eventually become the go-to for forums? Who knows.

Having a 20 year domaining background I found it an odd choice for Xenforo to make and a missed opportunity for free advertising.

I would have done it something like this....

sitename.xenforoforums.com or sitename.xenforocommunity.com or sitename.xenforocloud.com (probably the best choice)

For me running under sitename.community.forum is something I would never run in a live environment.

Good thing you can easily add your own domain and the community name is then just used in the back end.

I was recently offered a .forum tld at cost price. But still, so damn expensive! They start at €1000 a year and the renewal is even more expensive!

currently I pay €8 a year :unsure:

Top Bottom