Xenforo 2.2 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
What like Reddit?
What do you mean? Reddit is one of the most popular apps on the planet with millions of outstanding reviews when combining iOS and Android.
It's not perfect but surely it brings them new users that would not have found or used Reddit if it wasn't available in Play or the App store, don't you think?

Patiently waiting for a forum software that goes in the mobile app direction which is what needs to happen.
Most forum software is movign away from archaic and restrictive mobile apps which add way more maintenance and headaches to admins than anything else.

Users: We want Apps, We Want Apps.
Admins/Site Owners: Well YOU can troubleshoot them every time they screw up (which is often an "every time a phone / OS updates" thing).

They are hugely restrictive and prevent forum and theme operators getting the absolute best functionality out of forums.

I'd prefer a mobile responsive fully featured forum, over a "hobbled because people want an app" forum.

Most forum software is movign away from archaic and restrictive mobile apps which add way more maintenance and headaches to admins than anything else.

Users: We want Apps, We Want Apps.
Admins/Site Owners: Well YOU can troubleshoot them every time they screw up (which is often an "every time a phone / OS updates" thing).

They are hugely restrictive and prevent forum and theme operators getting the absolute best functionality out of forums.

I'd prefer a mobile responsive fully featured forum, over a "hobbled because people want an app" forum.
Hence why forums are considered "archaic" these days, like the dinosaurs, they will vanish before you know it. Platforms like Facebook will superseded them. I've proven it with my own forum. my forum was created in 2009 and I have 12,000 members and maybe 65 visitors a day with a handful of posts and maybe 2-3 new members a week. Where as my FB group has almost 10,000 members since 2015 and 100's of posts a day and about 30-50 new members week and extremely active.

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 7.07.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 7.07.47 AM.png

Hence why forums are considered "archaic" these days, like the dinosaurs, they will vanish before you know it. Platforms like Facebook will superseded them. I've proven it with my own forum. my forum was created in 2009 and I have 12,000 members and maybe 65 visitors a day with a handful of posts and maybe 2-3 new members a week. Where as my FB group has almost 10,000 members since 2015 and 100's of posts a day and about 30-50 new members week and extremely active.

View attachment 230660

View attachment 230661
And then you have my forum which exists precisely because the members didn't want to use the FB group that was offered as a replacement when our predecessor shut down. Not everyone is on FB, or likes to use FB groups for discussions. So I think there will be a place for forums for a while yet, or at least until discussions on FB groups become more "forum-like". You may be right, though, that the days of large, fast-growing forums may be over and it may be more of a niche thing.

And then you have my forum which exists precisely because the members didn't want to use the FB group that was offered as a replacement when our predecessor shut down. Not everyone is on FB, or likes to use FB groups for discussions. So I think there will be a place for forums for a while yet, or at least until discussions on FB groups become more "forum-like". You may be right, though, that the days of large, fast-growing forums may be over and it may be more of a niche thing.
you'll never know until you try it...Depending on the age group of your forums, I'm guessing an older or very young crowd without looking at it, most adults 20-50 are on FB daily.

you'll never know until you try it...Depending on the age group of your forums, I'm guessing an older crowd without looking at it, most adults 20-50 are on FB daily.
I have tried it. Multiple times. And left for good. Hate the place and don't trust the ownership.

But I know my hatred of social media is a bit unique.

However, most of my members are also on FB, but they don't like how discussions are formatted compared to a forum so they still come to Wondercafe2 for discussion rather than using the FB group run by the previous owner, which is now just used for announcements and promotion.

I have tried it. Multiple times. And left for good. Hate the place and don't trust the ownership.

But I know my hatred of social media is a bit unique.

However, most of my members are also on FB, but they don't like how discussions are formatted compared to a forum so they still come to Wondercafe2 for discussion rather than using the FB group run by the previous owner, which is now just used for announcements and promotion.
Well also depends on the content, mine is cats, so most just posts pics of cats on FB all day and you ooo and aaa, but come to the forum for info. But I do use the FB platform to drive people to the forum.

you'll never know until you try it...Depending on the age group of your forums, I'm guessing an older or very young crowd without looking at it, most adults 20-50 are on FB daily.
Actually I'd say 30-50 are on FB. 30 is even stretching it. With how things are going FB won't be around for much longer. Most kids (if not all) prefer Twitter over FB and even say FB is for parents and old people.

Most kids (if not all) prefer Twitter over FB

My boy is 21 and doesn't even use Twitter that much (I am on it but mostly use it as a newsfeed since I follow media organizations and some authors or other personalities of interest). Instagram (which is owned by FB) and Snapchat are the thing from what I hear. Thing is, FB is no longer just FB. They own Whatsapp and Instagram, which are attracting younger folks. So I suspect FB as a company is probably around to stay, even if it might mutate into something bigger than the site that started it all though evolution and acquisition. But that's moving off topic.

As for Xenforo, the actual subject of this thread, I am eager to get my hands on a beta but am glad to see them taking their time to deal with the issues coming in the alpha testing on Xenforo Community. A more stable first beta might mean a shorter beta testing cycle.

I have 5 Facebook groups of different topics in each niche area that is also on my forum ran by a Page.

When something new occurs on the forum, I decide which area (group) to post that thread as a Page admin. Two things happen here: A flood of traffic and likes. When someone likes the post, you can grow the Page by inviting them. I grow my Page 10-25 per day by doing invitations alone. The spike in traffic from posts at 10k should allow for a minimum of $1-3 in ad revenue. Add something like a widget where one must join to reply instead of 'insufficient permissions' (solved in 2.2 with the post/register update) as well as guest view limitations (I limit to 10 pages per day) and you will see membership jump 10 fold (2-3 per day). While the new members may not be active, we will also have newsletters in 2.2, which will email the users. Eventually over time with the 2.2 update, and collecting the necessary data, I believe this tactic will incrementally grow memberships and participation from social alone, with organic to follow if the content is good.

Good luck. Just something I learned to do.

PS: To get clicks, you need the og:image which TH Covers provides. That will get you a lot more clicks if you also cover the posts.

Last edited:

View attachment 230660

View attachment 230661
I would challenge on what type of activity you see between the two. I started my forum in 2011 and it has over 16k members and over 4m posts. On Facebook, I have almost 10k likes but certainly don't have 4m comments. I doubt I have 2k comments. It is much easier to press "like" on FB to get updates to come across your feed then it is to join a website, but that doesn't mean the member holds as much value.

The main competition to forums is not FB but instead websites like Reddit, which allows users to participate in multiple communities with little effort. I am sorry your website isn't dying but it's probably not FB that killed it.

Generally it will cease to be supported as soon as 2.2 is released although support will still be provided at our discretion for a period of time though the solution to some issues may simply be that an upgrade to 2.2 is required.

Security updates will usually be provided for some time after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom