Xenforo 2.2 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone link to that 2.2 wish list thread? Can't find it thx.
Not sure. You aren't thinking about the thread over on The Admin Zone, are you?

Recently, we've had a few questions regarding our progress towards version 2.2 of XenForo, so it feels like the time is right to post an update to keep you all in the loop.

Since this was posted over 5 month ago and you were talking about projects "bubble up in the near future" i would apprecciate it if you would keep us in the loop again. I guess for most of us, a small update how things are going (or not) would be more then enough.

We don't have a lot to say besides things are mostly going to plan and we're mostly hitting our internal targets. There is light at the end of the tunnel. In this time we've been working mostly full time on XF 2.2 with some additional work done towards the launch of the new front-end sales/support site and of course continued maintenance of XF 2.1.

Thankfully none of us have been directly or severely affected by the global pandemic but it is of course disruptive in many other small ways.

But, as I said, things are going to plan and things are mostly on course.

It's pretty tough writing code while maintaining a two meter separation from yourself, and as Chris stated they are meeting their targets, the team must have mastered it.

As someone that is looking to launch a Xenforo forum really soon (after a month odd of work), are we talking major updates in 2.2, or is it likely to be smaller things?

As in will 2.2 be:
a) As big a difference as Xenforo 2.1 is to 1.5; or
b) Minor differences like from 2.0 is to 2.1 (not that I used 2.0).

Just so I know if there is going to be a large amount of work required to relearn or not (and addons that might break/require repurchasing).

Thanks for the reply Chris D.. you and all the Xenforo team do a phenomenal job to produce such great (and in depth) software.

I'm amazed at (all things considered), just how very little issues I had getting a few users on recently, with literally 0 bugs.

To be honest I was weighing up Invision and Xen initially, and the area that Invision truly shone (I felt) was in the moderation side of things out of the box. Everywhere else it was a pretty level playing field.

That said on the flipside, Xenforo was better value, and there was a massive following both support and add-on wise. Xenforo "felt" better to use as a platform to build and grow from, whereas Invision felt like a solution where "here you go everythings done", and thus less flexible.

Hi Chris
As a forum owner newbie I am very pleased with Xenforo.
I am very pleased I chose it over some of the free options.

What does this mean?
"With some additional work done towards the launch of the new front-end sales/support site "

There are 3 things I would like
1 To be able to print a thread to Word
2 For the Report operations to make it easy for Admin to post a reply to the Reporter (eg an option to send them the final decision and to the offending member) At the moment I seem to have to do a lot of extra work.
3 A Good fully comprehensive manual on how to do everything and how everything works. (its a huge job for a newbie having to learn everything)
Not like the current manual which just tells you what some options do.
But eg How to set up a new moderator. Choose the member you want to promote to be a mdoerator and click on this xx If you want them to be able to xx then click on this xx. A moderator can xx and xx but not xx without asking admin. etc etc.

Last edited:
There are 3 things I woudl like
1 To be able to print a thread to Word
2 For the Report operations to make it easy for Admin to post a reply to the Reporter (eg an optin to send them the final decsion and to the offending memeber) At the moment I see to have to do a lot of extra work.
3 A Good fuly comprehensive manual on how to do everything and how evreything works. (its a huge job for a newbie having to learn everything)
Not like the current manual which just tells you what some options do.
But eg How to set up a new moderator. Choose the member you want to promote to be a mdoerator and click on this xx If you want them to be able to xx then click on this. A moderator can xx and xx but not xx without asking admin. etc etc.
#1 Most modern browsers (Edge/Chrome) can print to PDF without any issue. All depends how your format is styled, and technically you could create a "print friendly" scaled back style.

#2 Warnings and Reports / Bans I struggled with. Would be nice to have a simple and straightforward system whereby a time limit, or points can be used rather than accumulate or reset. E.g each ban auto doubles in time, or bans for specifics double/triple.

#3 This I totally agree with. It also to some degree applies to addon creators. Most of the time you spend trynig to get your head around things, or googling information from here. The warning system is a perfect example of this.

I'd also like to see a system checklist, or at least ability to dump all settings to an XML file or something.

What about the core software's quality? Not as they are at the time you're buying them but as you want them to be ready for your community. Why should I care if XenForo is a "super" framework for developers when is not a ready to use, fully featured modern community for it's members?

Lets be honest. Using XenForo we need at least a dozen of add-ons (unfortunately there are a few crappy coded ones among them) in order to transform XenForo to what Invision Community offers by default and also a quite a few hundred bucks to pay their developers (unfortunately there are a few crappy characters or awkward ones among them). Is it really worth to have to deal with all of these or to worry every day if one or more of our add-on developers quit the job tomorrow?

This is my real concern the last few months. Is it worth it, and if yes, what EXACTLY is the practical reasons for a community admin (not a developer)? Is XenForo more USER FRIENDLY than Invision Community nowadays? Is it more SOCIAL NETWORK like community? Is it FASTER after you load it a dozen of add-ons (a few crappy ones inevitably)?

I really don't know anymore, especially when I see what Invision Community has become today after 4.4 release and all the new features that they are planning to release in the upcoming 4.5 version.

Some sites need over a hundred. What one needs or wants does not mean everyone needs or wants it.
Some others need thousand but what someone may need is not the case here nor something that I care about. I thing I was clear enough saying:

Using XenForo we need at least a dozen of add-ons (unfortunately there are a few crappy coded ones among them) in order to transform XenForo to what Invision Community offers by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom