Xenforo 2.2 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this isn't a comment either way on when XF 2.2 will be available (we're making good progress though) we aren't running out of version numbers, unfortunately.

After 2.1.9 is version 2.1.10 and then 2.1.11 and 2.1.12 and so on.
Well, that's true. You did go up to 1.5.24......

And the longer you wait, the more complicated the migration process likely becomes.

Depends on what extra modifications you are working with. As of yesterday, I hadn’t upgraded since June or so 2018 (I realize this is not recommended or best practice for MANY reasons). My site had slowed down activity-wise and my license had expired and I just had other priorities for a while. Well, yesterday I renewed my license and got the upgrade. It was a seamless process. Not one issue I can complain about.

Very impressed with how XF handles upgrades! 😁

I can't think why it should take so long given that I only had two or three quite simple suggestions to implement.
Well dang it, if it doesn't have every single item on my wishlist and allow me to eliminate the 35 add-ons I am using now, I'm going to switch to the competition!! 🤬

Or maybe not. 🤣 Converting from vB (and others) to XF is something I prefer to go through only once in my lifetime. Luckily the upgrades from 2.0 to 2.1 were minimal, as I expect they will be for 2.2 and all those beyond.

Hmmm, the problem with that is there isn't really any.
That's the sad thing--there are some out there that are popular, but I don't like using them. One that annoys me is Discourse, and sadly it has gained in popularity. There isn't much that I like about its interface, to be honest--I don't like the "endless page" feature at all. A few others are OK, but none give me any motivation to look into them further. Or to put it another way, none offer me anything that would make me look elsewhere.

But I shouldn't complain. I started out using a clone of wwwboard called WebBBS. Great for its time (and free--it fit my budget at the time), but that was 23 years ago. That was back when a forum with no login wasn't bombarded by spammers and trolls. (And Usenet was actually usable.)

What is Zapier and what is so good about it? None of my users have ever asked for it.
Most visitors want basic things--a dark mode, easier navigation, simple login, etc.. My forums all skew older and members just want to discuss, not get bogged down in features and integrations that they have no interest in, like Zapier (which honestly, I neither want on my forums or even care about). Many (as I do) completely shun social media, or others are so disgusted by social media that they want a nice forum to call "home" without all the petty BS that goes with social media. Forums like ours are an island unto themselves, and members appreciate that sense of community just because it isn't social media or troll havens like Reddit.

If support for advanced features is available, that's fine, but as long as the rest of us can enable or disable such feature or integrations as needed, then we're all satisfied.

My current big board project has taken a year for the basics and waiting for a major add-on to get updated, and pretty much non-stop developing over the past ten days (8-13 hours per day) to add helpful little features for both the members and the staff, and get appearance issues locked in. I'm still hung up by some minor style bugs but otherwise, I like the direction my work has taken, it looks modern/clean/attractive, and I'm still keeping it simple for users. I figure millions "get by" on boards like Reddit, or comments in social media...I can offer them something richer than that, but still clean enough to keep it simple and non-overwhelming to many of our users. XenForo gives me the tools I need to get there, and the flexibility to make it happen. That's why I keep coming back ten years later. :) I'm too old to go out and start relearning yet another forum system to configure for myself and for clients. And to fuss over integrations that maybe one in a thousand of our members has even heard of.

Sorry, but you sound like the typical "I don't know it, so it must be bad." kind of dude. You clearly have no idea what kind of stuff it would allow us to do...

Most visitors want basic things--a dark mode, easier navigation, simple login, etc.. My forums all skew older and members just want to discuss, not get bogged down in features and integrations that they have no interest in, like Zapier (which honestly, I neither want on my forums or even care about). Many (as I do) completely shun social media, or others are so disgusted by social media that they want a nice forum to call "home" without all the petty BS that goes with social media. Forums like ours are an island unto themselves, and members appreciate that sense of community just because it isn't social media or troll havens like Reddit.

If support for advanced features is available, that's fine, but as long as the rest of us can enable or disable such feature or integrations as needed, then we're all satisfied.

My current big board project has taken a year for the basics and waiting for a major add-on to get updated, and pretty much non-stop developing over the past ten days (8-13 hours per day) to add helpful little features for both the members and the staff, and get appearance issues locked in. I'm still hung up by some minor style bugs but otherwise, I like the direction my work has taken, it looks modern/clean/attractive, and I'm still keeping it simple for users. I figure millions "get by" on boards like Reddit, or comments in social media...I can offer them something richer than that, but still clean enough to keep it simple and non-overwhelming to many of our users. XenForo gives me the tools I need to get there, and the flexibility to make it happen. That's why I keep coming back ten years later. :) I'm too old to go out and start relearning yet another forum system to configure for myself and for clients. And to fuss over integrations that maybe one in a thousand of our members has even heard of.

Rudy, i don't know who you are but i loved your post. You talk like a very old and experienced veteran rolling the world with a Harley and Davidson motor.

It's a real resume of what a Forum really need, and advanced features that can be optional, since the needs of each audience is different from one to another.

And about your add-on development project, please, tell more to us about it.

If you’d like to discuss Zapier further then please do so in the suggestion thread.

It is off topic for this thread. Suffice to say, it is not a planned feature for 2.2.

Don't wast your valued time with this thing like Zapier.

I don't know one single person in my Forum (or anyone in my country) that would need some kind of feature. Is a kind of feature for a very specific market.

The post made by @Rudy cover the principal aspect in what we need in a Forum. A mix of simplicity with good features to compete with adequate weapons against social media.

Like my post in TAZ, XF already nailed the Forum aspect, is a perfect system. Is just need some polishing in some corners, some new and updated features and extra resources, like in some competitors and that's it.

And like i said in TAZ too, many of this kind of features can have a north on your own resource statistic data on this board. I'm sure you guys can track what people want by using this internal information, and of course, market research.

Godspeed and until the next version of XF, since 2.1 was literally the best forum software ever launched in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom