XF 2.1 XenForo 2.1.10 Patch

GPA-R

Hi,

Can the latest patch (2.1.10) be applied to 2.1.7 and 2.1.8? Or only if running 2.1.9?

Thanks

I'll be updating soon to 2.1.10 but for the time being, since I'll be needing to update addons and themes at the same time, I'll stick to the security fixes for a few more days. @ozzy47 @AddonFlare ozzy47

baby forum theme xentr.net they are always up to date. Make me think Has the Snogsite spaminator plug-in been updated as well? and addonflare statistics plugin

Last edited:
There have already been a couple of patches that address some sort of cross site scripting vulnerability that were identified by a member exercising good faith, but wut if it were discovered by a malicious actor? Wut would deter such individual(s) from taking advantage of it and install some form of malware because of a vulnerability XF was not aware of? Is there some form of security in place to prevent these types of scripts from modifying the software before it is too late? :unsure:

There have already been a couple of patches that address some sort of cross site scripting vulnerability that were identified by a member exercising good faith, but wut if it were discovered by a malicious actor? Wut would deter such individual(s) from taking advantage of it and install some form of malware because of a vulnerability XF was not aware of? Is there some form of security in place to prevent these types of scripts from modifying the software before it is too late? :unsure:
There is no open door in xenforo.

That we know of. Obviously there was one that got identified in time. However, I wouldn't like to only count on the goodwill of members when it comes to software vulnerabilities.
If it were open, the baby forum was already history. They try to do ddos attack every day because they can't do anything

Well that's the very nature of any software, unfortunately. If a security issue is discovered by a bad actor then all bets are off.

XSS exploits - which are generally the most frequent type of security issue we see - if they were exploited in a bad way the worst case scenario is they'd be able to take control of an admin account by taking your cookies, though there's a few safeguards in place there.

First, if you happened to have an active Admin CP session then it likely still wouldn't work because we expire the session if your IP address changes.

Second, if there was no active Admin CP session they still wouldn't be able to log in without your username and password which is not discoverable through cookies for obvious reasons.

That's quite a nasty worse case scenario, but the good news is that the type of XSS exploits we have seen are generally very edge case and very hard to practicably exploit.

The most recent ones required very specific reproduction steps and I'd be surprised if they were practicably exploitable but of course we have to treat them with a reasonable amount of severity regardless.

So, while it is important for us to release fixes for them, and for you to apply them as soon as possible, don't necessarily assume that there's always a huge and severe risk, and ultimately don't worry too much :)

Exactly, there is no known deficit in xenforo. Friends are very worried. I'm not worried at all. there are attacks on the baby community every day. There were spam bots, and they can no longer come thanks to the spaminator. But there is a ddos attack every day. our lover is very much ... our attackers are people who do their job very well.

Even in the past, shared hosting took the account from the same company and killed the database. we had to continue the old backup. Then we went to the server. then we went to the Hetzner server.

If the baby forum continued as mybb, they would already be killed. The baby would die again if the forum was vbulletin. or on other systems, the baby forum would die. We bought xenforo. baby forum has been alive for 3 years.

I know many websites that die or continue their publishing life. But no XenForo Website is dead.

I know these attacks very well. I have lost 6 websites since 1995. None of this was XenForo...

I love XenForo. But from spending money on plugins. I can't invest in SEO.

Top Bottom