XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issues with the editor in XF1 and in fact I prefer it considering it's possible to drag and drop links and images (from a web page). which isn't possible with the new editor.
But the new editor has so many cool features, tap to edit links/images being one really nice feature especially on Phones!

I just saw the demo of XenForo 2, and to tell the truth, I thought it was a joke.

Visually, it's horrible, I really feel like going back in terms of evolution, it reminds me vBulletin at the beginning.

I really hope that the style will evolve because currently ...

I have no issues with the editor in XF1 and in fact I prefer it considering it's possible to drag and drop links and images (from a web page). which isn't possible with the new editor.
I agree, the new editor has many short comings which I think is more debilitating. The editor is the main input device of any forum content and when it is limited it's like giving users a stubby pencil instead of a whole pencil limiting their input.

Can you not just copy and paste the image as an alternative?

Yes, I could open the snipping tool and take a screen grab and paste that, but it's way too cumbersome.

The same with dragging links -- the Contact Us from the footer for example -- now it requires a right click, copy link address, paste ....

I just saw the demo of XenForo 2, and to tell the truth, I thought it was a joke.

Visually, it's horrible, I really feel like going back in terms of evolution, it reminds me vBulletin at the beginning.

I really hope that the style will evolve because currently ...

What vBulletin did you use? o_O

Post some suggestions for the style changes you see needing an improvement. I keep seeing folks say they hate the style yet not really seeing suggestions for it to change.

I'm not bothered by the design really, style developers will do their own thing and please all the tastes.

I'm more about the evolution we are seeing on software; I can't hide my frustration sometimes that such a solid software as this, is not progressing towards what we are seeing others already doing making use of frameworks that allow rather cool stuff, moving away from the "typical" way things are meant to work that the other major forum software developers are already doing as what xF follows by doing also the same thing.

It brings me back to why I even bought xF on the first place: It was trying to approach things differently, a more social side to what the competitors back then offered and a cleaner approach to it.

I wish I had the feels I had with xF 1.0, towards 2.0. The ideology that made xF appealing back then should be brought back!

Last edited:
Member cards on XF1 work on mobile. The hover effects on XF2 don't and a click takes you away. Would be good to fall back to member cards for mobile.

It brings me back to why I even bought xF on the first place: It was trying to approach things differently, a more social side to what the competitors back then offered and a cleaner approach to it.
Agreed, and the social side is totally being ignored. Likes and Following system could have been improved in XF2 but it has nothing new. More ways of Content creating and sharing with-in community and on social media, More ways of encouraging and engaging users could have been introduced.

Last edited:
In the interest of reducing mouse clicks and thereby saving users from repetitive stress injuries, I would like to see any menu with a down arrow open automatically when the mouse hovers over it. Right now your navbar menus require a click, as do the ones below it.

I find not being able to copy an image from another window and paste it as an attachment quite annoying, it shows up as a link instead. Not sure if that's fixable or not.

For the most part, nonconstructive criticism won't be actioned because it's just not really actionable.

This is so true.

The only thing about the style I "hate" is the navigation proportions and style.

Having the current tab bold font is very messy IMO, as is the line underneath the current tab. It would be more elegant I think to just have a change of background colour or font colour.

But there is something displeasing about the proportions of the letter size and the padding - the padding is too small.

This is exaggerated by the very small height of the header/logo so I think that would be not so bad if the header is a bit taller, which is easy to customise once you add your own logo.

However I also hope it's easy to customise the issues I mentioned with the tabs.

We do have to appreciate a default theme cannot be all things to all people. Anyone who is precious about the look will hopefully have, or pay for, the skills needed to do that. The crucial thing is that customisation is easy, intuitive and flexible.

Last edited:
This is so true.

The only thing about the style I "hate" is the navigation proportions and style.

Having the current tab bold font is very messy IMO, as is the line underneath the current tab. It would be more elegant I think to just have a change of background colour or font colour.

But there is something displeasing about the proportions of the letter size and the padding - the padding is too small.

This is exaggerated by the very small height of the header/logo so I think that would be not so bad if the header is a bit taller, which is easy to customise once you add your own logo.

However I also hope it's easy to customise the issues I mentioned with the tabs.

We do have to appreciate a default theme cannot be all things to all people. Anyone who is precious about the look will hopefully have or pay for the skills needed to do that. The crucial thing is that customisation is easy, intuitive and flexible.
Well said.

I think the theme is great. Its unobtrusive, as a default theme should be. On the current theme, I purposefully got rid of all shadows, border-radii, gradients etc so it wasn't in the way. And thats what this does out of the box. Developers and theme designers will benefit greatly from the BEM/componentization, themes and addons will be easier to integrate.

Great job XenForo!

Agreed, and the social side is totally being ignored. Likes and Following system could have been improved in XF2 but it has nothing new. More ways of Content creating and sharing with-in community and on social media, More ways of encouraging and engaging users could have been introduced.

It was said from the very beginning that v2.0 will be largely just feature parity with v1.x but with a completely rewritten core to make it more modern, flexible and extensible. We never were going to see many new features in v2.0

The really exciting stuff will start to happen around v2.1, v2.2, etc, when they start to add new features.

I think people expected a lot out of XF2 while XF promised nothing like that. It wasn't promised to be revolutionary or it wasn't promised to be a major innovation. Yes, the long time it's taken for the development raised hopes. The longer you wait = the more you expect, its natural. At least we hadn't to wait as long as Half Life 3 for XF2... oh wait :D

XF2 is a restart in my opinion, what I see is a building that was broken down, the supports and grounding removed and completely reconstructed from scratch. It has stronger foundations, sturdier walls and new paint jobs. Not everyone is happy with the paint, not everyone is happy with the empty space where the old furniture in the previous building was, but that is all yet to come.

XF1 was a great base, and they developed XF 1.1, 1.2, 1.3... etc on that base. Imagine the magic that can be done with 2.1, 2.2 etc... I mean the responsive design came in 1.2, and 2.0 has everything the 1 series has. From here on, it's only addition of features, and better - smoother features, thanks to the new stronger foundation.

We may have our differences, some may like the changes some may not. Some may have constructive criticism and some may not, in the end we all love XenForo - we all love the product we use and that is why we are passionate about it. But let's be reasonable, and remember that the people behind the product are humans. Words do not hurt, but continuous non-constructive statements can eventually take a toll. XF has always delivered, for me as a customer for 5 years, XF has always delivered. And the developers - I am thankful to them for the product they created that powers my community. Yes, I and my team did a lot of work to bring my community up to where it is, but we had a strong foundation (XF) that let us grow to where we are. And as we go ahead, XF continues to be that strong foundation. And will always be.

There's still ways to go for XF 2 to be at its final stage, we passionate customers and users can shape the product to be better, the devs have always listened, we just need to put forth our points with proper reasoning and explanations that make sense :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom