XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really surprised that you guys could post these screenshots. They look so amateur , please don't get me wrong but i can point tons of bugs on those screenshots.

It is very nice to get an update but this also made me a bit depressed honestly. As stated earlier , please take your time and don't rush anything.

The design looks it needs major major attention.
The style as it is now isn't finished, but the bulk of what you can see is going to be in the final product.

You can't please everyone, but we seem to have pleased most people so far.

For most people the default style is a moot point. The first thing most people will do is change it for something completely different. The most important thing, however, is that it has a strong foundation, and uses well implemented principles like the BEM design.

I'm not sure what some people are referring to as bug in screenshots, but if you see some buttons on the line, those are not bugs or problem of design. Its a design method, and in my opinion its so nice. (for example when metro design came first, most people said wow why its not smooth why borders are so sharp and with no radius OMG it looks like 90th's sites! and soon after that, those people changed their site design to metro :whistle:) and if you see some buttons in screenshot of xf 2 are on the line, those are not bugs and its their design. and personally I really like them there :D

The style as it is now isn't finished, but the bulk of what you can see is going to be in the final product.

You can't please everyone, but we seem to have pleased most people so far.

For most people the default style is a moot point. The first thing most people will do is change it for something completely different. The most important thing, however, is that it has a strong foundation, and uses well implemented principles like the BEM design.

Of course end users will change things , however on XF 1 built in style has followed correct typography and had a good UI/X for it's age.

From what i see on this design , you guys left Typography or other important UI/X elements behind and just tried to mimic XF1.

This is a work in progress it's not finished yet and has yet to be polished.

The first look demo will be available soon (according to XF team) and once we get hands on then we can begin to rip it apart and give the guys a chance to make adjustments and add that much needed polish.

;)

Of course end users will change things , however on XF 1 built in style has followed correct typography and had a good UI/X for it's age.

From what i see on this design , you guys left Typography or other important UI/X elements behind and just tried to mimic XF1.

On top of this from my stand point an XF 2.0 without a built in API is another very wrong step. Come on Mike and Chris , we are getting close to end of 2016 and you guys have your own websites to see how much mobile traffic we all are receiving.

A responsive design will not cut it out for long run , the system needs a built in API for sure so we can start building it correctly.

This. I couldn't care less for the style right now. We (we=the xenforo community) can and we'll do fantastic styles if we have the right foundation.

This. I couldn't care less for the style right now. We (we=the xenforo community) can and we'll do fantastic styles if we have the right foundation.
Yep exactly, a strong base/foundation and we can create themes that would suit our niche or for sale, we already have some really nice ones for XF 1.x and with it becoming easier with additional freedom, I'm sure we can create even better. I

In terms of awesome new forum software, WBB is XF's main upcoming threat and it has an API. So if you guys can give XF2 an API, that would a huge boost to keeping the competition at bay, as well as creating space for a whole new generation of apps and website inter-operability that will make XenForo shine brighter than ever. Please consider it for the next big part of XenForo for either 2.0 or 2.1 if it's too late to put in 2.0.

In terms of awesome new forum software, WBB is XF's main upcoming threat and it has an API. So if you guys can give XF2 an API, that would a huge boost to keeping the competition at bay, as well as creating space for a whole new generation of apps and website inter-operability that will make XenForo shine brighter than ever. Please consider it for the next big part of XenForo for either 2.0 or 2.1 if it's too late to put in 2.0.

Yeah if there isn't an API in XF2 I'm not sure we'd even bother to upgrade to it if the license isn't active when its released.

To follow up on some of the previous discussion surrounding letter and default avatars, while we plan to enable letter avatars by default, you can disable them to ensure that users without an avatar receive a standard/plain placeholder avatar:

upload_2016-8-15_22-53-29.webp

This placeholder is not built with an image. Instead, it is controlled by CSS. This allows some dynamic elements if you prefer, such as being built with colors from the palette or by using a different "icon" entirely with a couple CSS tweaks:

upload_2016-8-15_22-53-57.webp

Finally, based on feedback, we've also ensured that you can still use an image for default avatars if you prefer:

upload_2016-8-15_22-55-8.webp

Thanks Mike, for me and I'm sure for others this is the preferred method (y)
Although I have serious doubts whether a "?" icon or graphic will make it any more likely for someone to choose an avatar or not.

IMO a letter avatar or a question mark Avatar WILL HAVE NO IMPACT on whether a user make's their own avatar.

People will either make an avatar or they won't. Either a user cares about being more involved in your site or they don't.

But still - it's good to have the options. Personally I like the letters as it will make the site look better and I won't have to nag anyone about changing their avatar anymore if they didn't already do it themselves.

Even without nagging... over time eventually those members who are involved in a community notice everyone else has cool image icons next to their name and they go about changing their own. This will happen no matter what the default icon is.

is the implementation of the way the system handles avatars going to be different? will we finally be able to get images that are more than 1mb to work, along with animated gifs?

is the implementation of the way the system handles avatars going to be different? will we finally be able to get images that are more than 1mb to work, along with animated gifs?

I hope we get the ability to turn off animated avatars per usergroup like you can in VB4. They are so annoying. :)
I don't mind them as attachments in posts though.

IMO a letter avatar or a question mark Avatar WILL HAVE NO IMPACT on whether a user make's their own avatar.
Depends on your audience. As we've seen before the donkey ends up as a rabbit in japanese. If you think this through that was quite the "friendly" example, there could be cases were you end up with a name which could be more than problematic for a user.

On top of this from my stand point an XF 2.0 without a built in API is another very wrong step. Come on Mike and Chris , we are getting close to end of 2016 and you guys have your own websites to see how much mobile traffic we all are receiving.

A responsive design will not cut it out for long run , the system needs a built in API for sure so we can start building it correctly.
I was under the impression XF 2 would have an API. Maybe it was just hearsay, in hindsight I can't remember either Chris or Mike saying this was going to be built in 2.0. It's not impossible to implement down the line (2.3, 2.5?), maybe they are setting the foundation while not delaying the initial release.

Although I have serious doubts whether a "?" icon or graphic will make it any more likely for someone to choose an avatar or not.

People will either make an avatar or they won't. Either a user cares about being more involved in your site or they don't.

But still - it's good to have the options. Personally I like the letters as it will make the site look better and I won't have to nag anyone about changing their avatar anymore if they didn't already do it themselves.

Even without nagging... over time eventually those members who are involved in a community notice everyone else has cool image icons next to their name and they go about changing their own. This will happen no matter what the default icon is.
I don't mind you quoting my post but hopefully your response would relate to the full context of my point. Which by the way has nothing to do with a letter avatar or a question mark but more towards admins having to use css to modify the avatar and not being able to upload graphic avatars of their choice to use. Mike thankfuly has resolved that
Finally, based on feedback, we've also ensured that you can still use an image for default avatars if you prefer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom