XF 1.4 XenForo 1.4 Improvements to Replying

XenForo radically improves the ability of your users to reply in a concise, accurate and intuitive way.

Watch the video to find out how.

YouTube / Vimeo

Update: in answer to a question about whether or not this works across multiple pages / threads...
YouTube / Vimeo

Last edited:
valid reason.
could still
quote the
entire post
and then edit
it manually,
there's nothing
to prevent
them doing that.

I think some admins will want to make it more difficult to break up a single quoted post into many little snippets. That's why I hope there's going to be an option to disable the "Quote Text" feature.

I think some admins will want to prevent a single quoted post to be broken up into many little snippets. That's why I hope there's going to be an option to disable the "Quote Text" feature.
It still won't prevent it from someone that wants to do it stupidly like that. Moderation is the only answer to this.

Anyway, we'll see if there's a disable option to this, though there was no mention in the video unlike multiquote disabling which was mentioned when that was introduced.

I think some admins will want to make it more difficult to break up a single quoted post into many little snippets. That's why I hope there's going to be an option to disable the "Quote Text" feature.
Obviously you can do it even without this new feature, so there's really no difference.

Obviously you can do it even without this new feature, so there's really no difference.

The difference is that to do this now is very difficult requiring tedious copy and paste clicks, obviously most don't bother and that is a good thing.

If you enable a feature that makes it very easy to take snippets out of context from various posts, it can make reading a message difficult as the reader may have to refer back to the original posts to read the snippets in context. I think some admins will choose not to enable this feature.

The difference is that to do this now is very difficult requiring tedious copy and paste clicks, obviously most don't bother and that is a good thing.
If you enable a feature that makes it very easy to take snippets
out of context from various posts, it can make reading a message difficult as
the reader may have to refer back to the
original posts to read the snippets in context. I think some admins will choose not to enable this feature.

still only takes seconds now...just takes more physical effort which is all that makes it slower...

all one has to do is paste this anywhere within the quote to break it up... [/QUOTE][QUOTE="AndyB, post: 798975, member: 1327"] which you can do in a sec by clicking a spot and hitting ctrl+v

Last edited:
It does work on Android/iOS and their touch selection implementation.
Thank for your reply. I have more time to see better the video and it appears the selected output text mode is wysiwyg, which implies to have a function to detect if the editor is the RTE one or not (to avoid html code in the textarea editor). It would be nice if the function could be a dedicated one, I mean reuse by other addons. Another thing, since the quote box is automatically triggered by mouse or select events, it would be another good thing to have a class exception to prevent undesired behaviour with advanced contents. This class could be added to some html blocks to prevent the display of the quote box.

I am holding on to informing our community members, of what they are going to get, because if I do so, I will be forced to ask, "where are we going to get this?" :)

This partial multi-quote feature is very helpful in RTL languages where bi-directional text flow makes the placement of BB code brackets, symbols in smilies, with actual text look like spaghetti and makes it very hard to selectively edit the text in the editor (especially when there are multiple BB codes together), as the selection flow is very hard to predict in that case. Thank you so much for this feature on behalf of all the RTL community. :)

@Mike & @Kier, will it be possible to add more options in the selection tooltip menu, such as a link to show the definition/translation of the selection? :)

These are great, and needed features for Replying! Especially the highlighting quote feature.

Now, I don't have to quote, then edit parts of the post just to communicate to a particular part of a post.

shut-up-and-take-my-money-23274.jpg

Top Bottom