• Litespeed Cache support
  • Best Answer
Major functions:
  • Blog / Newsblog
  • Groups
  • Reviews
  • Documents / File archive
  • Portal
Its mighty cool that my list has been seriously reduced since the last time I made one. 1.2 is a major step forward.

Navigation manager wouldn't be asking too much. It's quite basic and should be in the core by now.

Honestly, I don't think you understand how complex a *useful* navigation manager would be to implement.

Adding single tabs, sure, thats easy enough, but adding tabs, sub navigation items, moving them around, maybe custom styling, conditionals maybe? A lot more work than it seems, at least with how the navigation is currently done in XenForo...

Personally, id like to see inline style and phrase editing, similar to magento.

Apart from groups, which to be honest I think are an out of date feature personally, id say none of those would be suited for core integration, and would be better suited as addons.
Yes, you are correct that these major functions are best suited as addons and therefore not any XF 1.X.But I listed these for completeness sake. As this is my list of needs to migrate.

vbulletin Groups can be regarded as an out of date function. Groups are modern enough on IPS social Groups, vimeo groups, Last.fm groups, facebook groups, Google+. but I am 100% sure that XenForo could make them truly awesome.

Yes, you are correct that these major functions are best suited as addons and therefore not any XF 1.X.But I listed these for completeness sake. As this is my list of needs to migrate.

vbulletin Groups can be regarded as an out of date function. Groups are modern enough on IPS social Groups, vimeo groups, Last.fm groups, facebook groups, Google+. but I am 100% sure that XenForo could make them truly awesome.

I've never been into the group thing (that sounds wrong) perhaps it's the way other software implemented it but I have to agree if xenforo implemented their magic I'm betting something innovating would surface from that. +1 (refers to your post)

Honestly, I don't think you understand how complex a *useful* navigation manager would be to implement.

Adding single tabs, sure, thats easy enough, but adding tabs, sub navigation items, moving them around, maybe custom styling, conditionals maybe? A lot more work than it seems, at least with how the navigation is currently done in XenForo...

Yep, I'm not tech-savvy enough to comprehend how much work it would involve.

I was just thinking how clumsy the system currently is. I wanted to rearrange some of the tabs, and I think it would have required enabling debug mode and that was enough of a turn-off.

Changing the tabs' places should be easier. Period.

That was mostly in my mind, but now that you mentioned it, a complete solution like you described would be best. In my book it should be pretty high on the "to do" list, so hopefully it's taken care sooner rather than later.

Anyway, XF 1.2 seems to add a lot of useful features and by no means am I dissatisfied. It's going to be AAAWESOOOMEE!

We'll have to see what exactly the new responsive default template brings, but I really do hope that there will be an option to have the sidebar be persistent throughout the entire site without involving manual template edits.

Absence of these functions cause data loss on import from vb:
  • thread tags
  • thread edit history
  • user account log
  • user notes
  • reputation comments
  • negative reputation / dislikes
  • friends
These functions would be really handy to have:
  • multi-quote
  • better subforum display
  • better profile privacy
  • widget manager
  • Litespeed Cache support
  • Best Answer
Major functions:
  • Blog / Newsblog
  • Groups
  • Reviews
  • Documents / File archive
  • Portal
Its mighty cool that my list has been seriously reduced since the last time I made one. 1.2 is a major step forward.

Some of this functionality is covered by addons that are now available.

1) Personal What's New display - if only to make it usable on here!
Tickboxes beside the threads to Hide, with UnHide toggle link top and bottom.
(If I HIde some stuff, and click UnHide I see full Whats New! with ticks in the ones I already placed in Hide. Can untick on this display.)
Click Hide toggle, I get my personal edited display again. If I unticked any I see those threads on my new version personal What's New.
Also applies to All Recent Threads.

2) Some basic improvements on Conversations not sure if this is already implemented - again so we can have missing things on here.
Display recipient username on PCs list/ alert dropdown.
Search PCs.
Tickboxes to Hide/ Delete.
Attachments even if default is small.
Apply prefixes with a few as default - SNIPPET DESIGN ADDON GOSSIP HOW?

We'll have to see what exactly the new responsive default template brings, but I really do hope that there will be an option to have the sidebar be persistent throughout the entire site without involving manual template edits.

Yea this is pretty important for me right now. Can you give me a link with the template edits I have to do in order to make the sidebar available everywhere?

Thank You

Apart from groups, which to be honest I think are an out of date feature personally, id say none of those would be suited for core integration, and would be better suited as addons.

Addon like the Resource Manager? I'd go for that. (y)

1.2 is looking so huge right now, that it would make sense to just concentrate on getting the features that we have already been shown, *just right*.

XenForo is a small team. If they keep piling on features, but release them as half-baked, they will get a lot of angry from the community. The new features just need to work. Especially the responsive design is so tricky to get right that I foresee it having a few iterations until it is working.

The new small features like template enhancements have the potential to be really good, but they also have the potential to cause a lot of trouble. I hope they put the probably ten days or more that it would require to sit down with the thing on a 40 mods installation and test how fast it is to "upgrade" the forum when someone added a bunch of edits and now a lot of regexes are running against the templates on 10 styles over 40 mods with 10 regexes each.

So, there is a time to stop, say "enough", "freeze", "no more features", "we are making the ones we have perfect, polished, production ready, and a delight to use"

Top Bottom