XenForo 1.1: Your impressions & discoveries

Green Cat

Firstly, I would like to congratulate Kier, Mike and Ashley on the first birthday of the release of Xenforo and the great new release as well as thank them for all the efforts they put into it.

Now that you have played with it, what do you think of the new features ? Have you discovered anything not yet mentioned in a HYS video ?

Enjoy testing 1.1 :D

(By the way, I know this is not new, but I really like the smileys).

I'd separate discoveries vs. impressions. But I found minified JS as well as unminified available for developers.

Upgrade went without a hitch (1.0.4. to 1.1.0 beta 1) - although I haven't checked every little detail, but uploaded, ran upgrade, job done.

No problems upgrading on my test forum, looks great. Trying to setup a lot of good things for users. However, one thing I noticed is that I can't require a prefix to be used when posting in particular forums :(.

No problems upgrading on my test forum, looks great. Trying to setup a lot of good things for users. However, one thing I noticed is that I can't require a prefix to be used when posting in particular forums :(.
You can set a default prefix, but you can't enforce its use at this time. In my opinion, having no prefix would be equivalent.

I was kind of hoping for a clear all feature in the server error log. THat was the first thing I looked for. I have tons of errors that I have been waiting to release. Seems like this would/could be a simple template edit...but what do I know.

Guess I'll just continue to use Jakes manual SQL method.

So far, everything else looks very neat - thanks KAM!

Overall I think it was a great release.

One major problem the ignore system which for me is a "partial ignore system". << I know this may go against the wood grain but today I'm certainly not at all satisfied whilst this "as designed" feature shows message containers in posts which I find intrusive whilst browsing whilst avatars are left to show (messageuserblock). Ignore means exactly that, ignored you see nothing, your not prompt or enticed to view the post. And don't even get me started on the "Ignored Member" on index specifically on the lastpost.

Overall, like i stated, another fine release but that issue kinda ticked me off. *puts on the body armour*

I was kind of hoping for a clear all feature in the server error log. THat was the first thing I looked for. I have tons of errors that I have been waiting to release. Seems like this would/could be a simple template edit...but what do I know.

Guess I'll just continue to use Jakes manual SQL method.

So far, everything else looks very neat - thanks KAM!

There is a button "Empty Error Log", top right hand corner.

I can't change stuff on my old themes, like the node icons and such. :\
it's nice though, but I gotta use the default xenForo skin for now.

You can set a default prefix, but you can't enforce its use at this time. In my opinion, having no prefix would be equivalent.

Hi Kier, I can understand that it's not available now but I hope it may be available. My circumstance is that I have an advertising section on my forum and want to classify posts as "Coupons" or "Special Offers", making it easy for my users to know what each thread offers them. Now at the moment it's not required for the users submitting threads to this forum to select one of the two. Would be great if I could require a prefix be selected.

upgrade on dev forum went well. Upgrade of my skin was fairly straight forward yet again. Some nice additions for 1.1 that Im sure will be built upon :)

Very impressed, seems to be running much faster than 1.0 with more features - great work XF. (y)

Whats this button do......wow I found the kitchen sink.:D

Hi Kier, I can understand that it's not available now but I hope it may be available. My circumstance is that I have an advertising section on my forum and want to classify posts as "Coupons" or "Special Offers", making it easy for my users to know what each thread offers them. Now at the moment it's not required for the users submitting threads to this forum to select one of the two. Would be great if I could require a prefix be selected.

This sort of thing can be handled by creating the right sort of culture. Be vigilant - add the prefix to threads without them, and post in that thread saying what you did. Over time, the requirement will become internalised by your members and will self-police.

This sort of thing can be handled by creating the right sort of culture. Be vigilant - add the prefix to threads without them, and post in that thread saying what you did. Over time, the requirement will become internalised by your members and will self-police.

I have no doubt it would, especially when they see their threads getting lost. I just like to make things "fool-proof" so to speak ;).

Top Bottom