Xenforo 1.1.4 or v2.

Greetings,

Will Xenforo upgrade now the lawsuit is over to include Galleries, Blogs, etc.? It is a fantastic software but needs these elementally essential features?

All the best,
Seb

Right now no blogs and gallery is one of the larger issues with moving any large vBs over to XenForo. I don't want to export that content into one of a number of XF mods because, like with vB, they'll get dropped by their developers the moment KAM come up with their own version. And we'll be left with a bunch of content that we'll again need to import back. At least the gallery bit is really essential to pretty much every community today.

"Pretty much every"?

Who bloody cares what the version number is, as long as there are updates it's all good.
Agree. Actually I hate Firefox because it is being updated to much. They (Mozilla) are trying and trying to increase their Firefox's version number that account for nothing? Why we need to update since everything is working awesome?

Right now no blogs and gallery is one of the larger issues with moving any large vBs over to XenForo. I don't want to export that content into one of a number of XF mods because, like with vB, they'll get dropped by their developers the moment KAM come up with their own version. And we'll be left with a bunch of content that we'll again need to import back. At least the gallery bit is really essential to pretty much every community today.
"Pretty much every"?
Actually, I think Gladius has a point. Of course not every, but most forums I frequent profit from image uploads. While I have not seen blogs put to a good use very often, galleries seem to be much liked by forum users. They allow them to easily show off - just upload a file, no need to produce text. I see how it may not be important for, say, support forums, but I daresay most of the forums that evolve around a certain topic need good image handling and presentation capabilities. Of course I may be biased since I desperately need a good gallery and would prefere a core/official-addon solution, but I try to be objective ;)

Actually, I think Gladius has a point. Of course not every, but most forums I frequent profit from image uploads. While I have not seen blogs put to a good use very often, galleries seem to be much liked by forum users. They allow them to easily show off - just upload a file, no need to produce text. I see how it may not be important for, say, support forums, but I daresay most of the forums that evolve around a certain topic need good image handling and presentation capabilities. Of course I may be biased since I desperately need a good gallery and would prefere a core/official-addon solution, but I try to be objective ;)

Make it an add on. I don't want bloat that I am not using.

No one uses every single feature of any forum software. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean (most) other people won't. There are precious few big boards without any kind of image galleries - most sites use them. If you don't want to use something, you can do the same as everyone else with any other feature that they're not using - turn it off.

I could call every single XF feature that I'm not using at this moment "bloat". But that'd be really ignorant.

I'm not saying it can't be an addon, even a paid addon - I really don't mind. I would just like to see it from KAM ;) And, as often has been pointed out, it's a problem for boards like mine that depend heavily on a gallery that none is present at the moment, not even as third party addon (and don't name Photopost, I really want to get rid of that).

No one uses every single feature of any forum software. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean (most) other people won't. There are precious few big boards without any kind of image galleries - most sites use them. If you don't want to use something, you can do the same as everyone else with any other feature that they're not using - turn it off.

I could call every single XF feature that I'm not using at this moment "bloat". But that'd be really ignorant.
A gallery is not the same as saying not using the 'forum as link' feature. I don't use it but it's small and many other people might. A gallery is a whole another thing.

Was thinking about this. I agree, all "major features" which arn't forum core, such as blogs, galleries, downloads (RM) should all be optional addons opposed to being included in the core.

They should be official addons though where we know they'll be future support. Make them "premium"/expensive if they want but I'm sure there'd be enough sites willing to pay £500 for a decent Portal/CMS if it had the backing of KAM.

Why on EARTH would someone pay more for the addon than the core package?

Because XF is worth a hell of a lot more than £100. For example, DigialPoint said it was worth something like £100,000 to him in the amount of time it's saved him building it himself.

Having an official portal/CMS built on the XF framework would be much more than just an "addon".

I would use a gallery....but I dont agree that it should be part of the core. Its next to no effort for those who want it to simply install it. It's best to keep 'extras' out of the core software, there's simply no need to make them part of the core, ever.

With older/dates systems like vB3, it was a benefit to have stuff built in as it was easier, but to be honest, XenForo is so much more geared up for addons that installing them is a piece of piss.

Plus it makes sense from a management perspective. If an updated needs to be pushed out for the gallery code, all those not using the gallery system would have to upgrade XF if it was built in. Keeping it separate enables much easier versioning of each additional feature set.

A gallery is not the same as saying not using the 'forum as link' feature. I don't use it but it's small and many other people might. A gallery is a whole another thing.

And incredibly enough, the off switch works for it as well. Not that I really care if it was made as an addon or core. The main thing is that it gets made.

JMHO, there are things that need to be done to make the forum software itself work optimally before time and energy is spent on such large undertakings. But I would suspect they are somewhere down the road for XF for those who want them :)

Top Bottom