• Yes

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luxus

xencms.webp

Alright, I think it's no secret that developing a real Wordpress-like CMS takes a lot of time and effort. This may be the reason why XenForo still lacks a fully fledged CMS (articles, article management, categories, sub-categories, tags, template overrides etc.). Since the XF team are going to have their hands full with developing the forum after the lawsuit is over there most likely won't be an offical CMS for many years to come. So it's up to XenForo's capable community to make this happen.

What we need is at least one coder who dedicates his time into developing this CMS. Last time I asked a dev about a CMS he asked for 1000 bucks, which normal people simply can't afford. So you have an idea how much will be asked for the CMS.

Seeing that many XenForo powered websites use XenPorta I figured there may be enough interest in a new CMS to start a fund raising topic. XenPorta has been downloaded over 1000 times, so even when half of them would donate just $20 we would raise $10000. Realisticly the overall amount people are willing to donate is probably $5, but even then we would still raise impressive $2500.

So what are we gonna do? You see a poll where people can pledge to donate. You can vote for yes and for yes, because there is no point in voting for no and xenforo doesn't allow only 1 choice in a poll. If you are not interested, just ignore this thread. If enough people has pledged to donate there is a good chance that a developer will take this task (of course the developer will retain the copyright of this addon).

Or even better, reply to this thread and tell what exact amount you pledge to donate. This way the developers will get a better idea of how much will be raised.

The developer or developers (if there is more than one) will then have to provide a donation widget powered by chipin (PayPal only!) This is how this widget looks:

chipin.webp

So you always see how much has been raised so far including the amunt of contributors..

XenForo would benefit from a real CMS, so please consider participating in this.

-------------------------

I pledge to donate $50.

Why not contract with Jaxel of XenPorta to add features for cash.

And I think $50 per is a more realistic number.

I'm in for that. Stuff like getting my Twitter search on XenPorta to show my forum's twitter links vs. a blank because the forum's Twitter traffic is small vs. Beiber or Shaq's.

I thought you had actually raised 83% of your goal in two hours there - but then I looked again and realised you were proposing the notion, not necessarily actioning it.

You could invest to produce a feature-rich tool or suite for $200 if you were serious, or less if it were a personal thing.

A few devs like Waindigo are happy to develop for a fee and release the end product at the request of the investor.

Would invest, but would need to know the developer was

digitalpoint, Chris Deeming, or cclaerhout

They're the only ones who I believe could undertake such a task and deliver something of good quality and provide long term support for it (without trying to milk the project like vBulletin for extra $$ along the way).

However.... I would suggest a more complete and developed add-on for Word Press (someone will say there is one and I'll simply say, no, no it's not). This would make for a good alternative.

You will know who the developer is when he replies in this thread. Then it's up to you if you want to donate or not. But keep in mind that donations are just donations. You are not entitled to anything if you donate.
But really, you can only vote for yes in the poll for a reason. Again, if you are not interested, please ignore this thread.

Would invest, but would need to know the developer was

digitalpoint, Chris Deeming, or cclaerhout

They're the only ones who I believe could undertake such a task and deliver something of good quality and provide long term support for it (without trying to milk the project like vBulletin for extra $$ along the way).

However.... I would suggest a more complete and developed add-on for Word Press (someone will say there is one and I'll simply say, no, no it's not). This would make for a good alternative.

Let's make it simple: I'm really not qualified to do such a thing ^^ And I think this project needs to be done by a team of advanced coders. I don't think either a one shot payment will be enough, especially if this addon want to be supported in the future. So donate for a kind of project doesn't seem to be the question. If this addon is developed by some independent coders, it should at least cost 75$/150$ (without copyright) with a 30$ renewal a year. The best option would still be to have an official plugin but I've read that Guiltar has something in mind ; the problem was paypal doesn't seem to work in Russia.

The amount I would "pledge" turns on a lot of issues. I could easily see pledging $200, (and perhaps multiples of this amount) if this CMS does all I want it to. At the same time, I am somewhat wary of the idea of funding a project, then having later purchasers buy it for $10-$50...In that case, feels like I paid for the coding and later folks got a free ride (I basically subsidized later purchasers). So, a few alternate solutions here:

Depending on how much I chip in, I get a cut of paid later purchases (not my goal, and probably a pain in the ass to administer...just thinking "fairness" off of the top of my head);

I get some kind of extra out of it (copyright free branding, extra support, or something);

I get exclusivity- by myself or in concert and sharing with those who chip in (again, not my goal, just thinking about the possibilities).

On the other hand, the above ideas are towards the idea that if I am an early funding source for the project, I should get something out of it. However, I am not sure that I need that. That is, maybe I would just want to invest based on helping me to get a CMS/Article management system I like and can use well as well as moving both the XF software and other users along to greater success. Though it goes against capitalist instincts, maybe it is worth paying more to get this done and then sharing with the community to both just help others, but to also keep interest in XF up generally.

Bottom line, I would like this project to move forward and would invest in making it happen. There may be other niggling details out there, but as a base idea, I like it and would pay to help its realization.

GO SPURS GO!

Or...ahem...pay XenForo as we currently do via purchase and renewal to add it to the product.

I thought CMS and Mobile version were two of the high priority items on the next update/version?

Let's make it simple: I'm really not qualified to do such a thing ^^ And I think this project needs to be done by a team of advanced coders. I don't think either a one shot payment will be enough, especially if this addon want to be supported in the future. So donate for a kind of project doesn't seem to be the question. If this addon is developed by some independent coders, it should at least cost 75$/150$ (without copyright) with a 30$ renewal a year. The best option would still be to have an official plugin but I've read that Guiltar has something in mind ; the problem was paypal doesn't seem to work in Russia.
At least I think highly of your skills (both as a developer and as a good person to do business with) :D

Or...ahem...pay XenForo as we currently do via purchase and renewal to add it to the product.

I thought CMS and Mobile version were two of the high priority items on the next update/version?

I don't think (but hope I am wrong) that they ever discussed a CMS forthcoming. Also, less sure (but again, hope I am wrong), that they stated a Mobile version (vice style) was forthcoming. If I am wrong, can you link to where this was stated.

I would sure love both of these to be included in the core. However, if they are not, I don't want to just throw my hands up and be upset about this...If it takes paying for more features, whether through the core product or through (well coded and supported by the author) add-ons, I am good with that, too.

In rank of features that XenForo 2.0 should have:
1. Mobile version with photo upload with messages for Android, IOS and W8 (This has to be No. 1 as 90% of forum members are accessing via mobile)
2. CMS front page with integration with forum's Facebook and Twitter pages.

I thought the last communication from XenForo on planned new development mentioned Mobile access as a top priority.

In rank of features that XenForo 2.0 should have:
1. Mobile version with photo upload with messages for Android, IOS and W8 (This has to be No. 1 as 90% of forum members are accessing via mobile)
2. CMS front page with integration with forum's Facebook and Twitter pages.

I thought the last communication from XenForo on planned new development mentioned Mobile access as a top priority.

Agreed as to what I would like to see...just think that it is different from what you said ("I thought CMS and Mobile version were two of the high priority items on the next update/version?") That is, while I would really like these features, I don't think they were promised. (Though, I think the mobile issue is a bit "squishy;" My understanding was that a mobile style was coming, not a mobile version...might be an issue as to definition here....either way, I would love both, but, I think it is important to be clear about what was promised/forthcoming- free or paid. For me the Resource Manager would be a big deal...but I am not sure about delivery horizon for this. Therefore, I am actively looking at other options. Essentially, I was hoping to have similar functionality as DownloadsII mod for vB4.

Top Bottom