• Yes

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would invest, but would need to know the developer was

digitalpoint, Chris Deeming, or cclaerhout
I don't build things that I don't have a use for myself... Otherwise I'd end up making poor quality things that I don't truly care about.

Since I have zero need for a CMS, it would just be too difficult to build something worthwhile since my heart wouldn't be in it. Oh yeah, there is also the issue that I don't have enough time to do my OWN projects... So starting to do consulting/contract development just seems like a bad idea. :)

I don't build things that I don't have a use for myself... Otherwise I'd end up making poor quality things that I don't truly care about.

Since I have zero need for a CMS, it would just be too difficult to build something worthwhile since my heart wouldn't be in it. Oh yeah, there is also the issue that I don't have enough time to do my OWN projects... So starting to do consulting/contract development just seems like a bad idea. :)

Thats a terrible excuse Shaun,

We all know you have an army of coders chained up in your basement.

:D

I think the best answers are:
1. A limited CMS - it's vastly easier to design something simple which would take care of 3/4 of the users, than to design all kinds of bells and whistles to appeal to 95%.
2. Better yet, a really good tie-in with an existing SIMPLE CMS...and open source one, which is supported by the author or a team here on an ongoing basis.

The second one would work both ways - that is, it would be good for the CMS community because when they need a forum, they could go with XF knowing it ties in easily....

I'm not familiar with all the CMS's out there, but I tried CMS Made Simple on a couple projects and it fits a nice middle ground between the others.
http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

To tie into XF, I think mostly the shared permissions and things would be needed - and perhaps a stock style or two which matched the XF default.

Personally, I need both a wiki and an "articles" system. But that is nothing like a full blown CMS.

EDIT: A price of $95 or so would be reasonable for a good wiki and articles system. So rather than getting $5 or $20, it might be better to just appeal to 100 core folks who would pay $100 each $10,000. Maybe a limited version (up to 50 articles, non-commercial, etc.) could be available for $40 or so.

Just to clarify, this isn't intended to be a CMS like all the big ones out there (Joomla, Drupal etc.). It would take years to develop such a thing. It's intended to be an addon that extends xenforo with the most common CMS features. Basically a native xenforo wordpress (xenPress?). Wordpress isn't really a CMS per se (if you are familiar with the other real CMSes you can tell). So you can say it's basically intended to be an enhanced xenporta, a xenporta with all the other front-end and back-end features currently missing.

It might help to think of it in a functional sense.....

That is, I need articles that only I post and edit.
I also need a wiki, separate from that, which users can post and edit in (by permission).

Many people need a blog or editorial (news in order) section.

That is three different, although related, uses.

Articles - can be fixed text where the date and order don't matter much..solid and relatively timeless content.

Wiki - can be user-created or maybe even moved threads which are re-formatted and provide a more informal content

Blog/Editorial - can be in date or subject order and be very informal and less about the content, more about the present and opinions.

I was hoping to use vaultwiki - they claim a XF one is just about here. But they don't seem so solid, so I wonder? I don't need the really full functions of mediawiki, etc.

What I don't understand is why tying it into something like CMS Made Simple would not be 10X as easy. I'm not a coder, but it seems if others spent tens of thousands of hours and this can be used, that could be a benefit.

In my mind a good CMS needs at bare minimum:
  • A widget/module framework with drag and drop that allows widgets everywhere.
  • A custom content type builder.
  • Widgets for all current XF content types and site elements.
  • An easy way to add new content types.
  • Articles
  • Question fields / types
  • Databases
  • Ratings
  • Menu's

I would pay $100 or even more for a full fledged CMS, but I would only prepay $5 or 10 in a fund raiser as I do not see anyone realistically putting the time into this to actually finish it... If Waindigo or another reliable programmer that is known to finish products took this on, I would pre fund much more!

In my mind a good CMS needs at bare minimum:
  • A widget/module framework with drag and drop that allows widgets everywhere.
  • A custom content type builder.
  • Widgets for all current XF content types and site elements.
  • An easy way to add new content types.
  • Articles
  • Question fields / types
  • Databases
  • Ratings
  • Menu's

By most people's definition you are requesting at least 4 things.
(1) CMS
(2) Content Construction Kit (CCK)
(3) Widget framework.
(4) Ratings framework.

I like the ideas !

Like with most people here, i would need to know who is the coder of the project and a basic over view of the plans into what they plan to make it like. But a soild front end system to make a site is a site is really needed. Right now i use XenPorta like I'm many others do, but its missing so much like for a start rss feed of the articles.

The point was already made (by Dig Doc I think) that there is a problem with different backers having different ideas of what a CMS is. I agree that is key.
However it could work via a clear written agreement on what THIS CMS is to be.
I did that with Waindigo on the Library project. We had a roadmap thread, which was updated in OP when each stage was reached. Some additions or adjustments were made based on users posts to the thread, or when Jon found different ways to get a task done.

jadmperry identified problem that to be a Sponsor can mean paying a lot for development which others then get free, or for small payments like $10 - $50.
I think this is true. I paid a great deal for the Library addon, and several other Sponsors came into it too. Others now get it free.
However as a Sponsor I had a great deal of influence on how it was constructed. In fact the addon was built on my original design.
Later when other sponsors joined the project I retained status as the lead sponsor with the key influence on the developer. When the addon was ready for use Jon installed it for me and has added custom design tweaks.
I also always get support from Jon for any problem within hours by private email (often due to my misunderstanding).
So over all I feel my money has been well invested.

Since waindigo has experience working under this structure - and his code is very good indeed often including really ingenious solutions in a clean and minimalist way - he is an excellent candidate for this project. All the more so as he has just increased his staffing.

Let me know if you'd like me to ask him if he's interested. I think he might be as he likes big addons.

What happens when Xenforo later releases their own CMS? Then you gotta deal with this addon plugin CMS and moving all the content over, and dealing with all the extra stuff the plugin added. This lawsuit has tied up over 2 years of development time. Just imagine how much farther Xenforo could have been by now. Meanwhile wordpress keeps plugging along nicely and there's even a forum http://www.simple-press.com that plugs right into Wordpress and has much of Xenforo's functionality (but not as pretty or advanced). At least with wordpress you know every 3 to 6 months you're getting a batch of great new features. I will be glad that once the lawsuit is over, we can finally get an idea of what to expect from Xenforo and have a sense of the road ahead. But waiting and waiting is no fun.

Top Bottom