XenCake - a Celebration

hehehe :p We complain when it gets below 15! Sweaters, jumpers, woolies, whatever you want to call them come out :D

My aunt moved to Melbourne about 4 years ago and whenever she comes home, she complains its cold - even if its 15 - 20c haha. We will be wandering around in tshirts and she has her jumpers and jackets on!

My aunt moved to Melbourne about 4 years ago and whenever she comes home, she complains its cold - even if its 15 - 20c haha. We will be wandering around in tshirts and she has her jumpers and jackets on!

LOL yeah it's funny what you get used to :p

I do :p

I don't like the hot weather at all, much prefer your climate to mine! :D *hands in Aussie card*

Same. I have been over once to visit her and it was way too hot to stay there for a prolonged period. I found myself wishing for constant drizzle and cold weather. :P

Happen to have any leftover? :p

Sure... here's a slice I kept just for you!!!

xencake8.webp

Curious, Kim, did you slather the layers with kirsch or something and what exactly is the filling? It definitely isn't creme or frosting, but it looks like ganache from the strange marbling I'm seeing.

Curious, Kim, did you slather the layers with kirsch or something and what exactly is the filling? It definitely isn't creme or frosting, but it looks like ganache from the strange marbling I'm seeing.

Not quite sure if you are trying to be offensive.. (use of the word "slather" implies an overuse of something)

But the details of the cake were posted way back in the thread...

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xencake-a-celebration.45518/page-2#post-489224

The cake layers were painted with a Kaluha syrup, sandwiched with Kaluha mousse, and covered with two layers of chocolate ganache before being top coated with two layers of Pettinice (fondant for you USAers)

The "marbling" you see in the filling is from the use of a very hot knife to cut the cake, which would have melted the mousse slightly as it passed through.

Slather is used as in to coat something here in the states but also that. I like rich stuff so it wasn't offensive. Interesting use of Kahlua. I've got a decade old bottle around somewhere. Probably needs to be thrown out at this point. I wonder if I could get away with using kahlua with a white "chocolate" ganache and raspberry jam filling on vanilla bean cake.

Off topic, if you like chocolate cakes try this. I made it last week after finding it online.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/swedish-sticky-chocolate-cake-kladdkaka/

The only addition I made was about 90 g of thinly shaved bittersweet baking chocolate.

TBH Chocolate cake is not my favourite thing, and I really don't care for the molten style of cake at all.

The only chocolate cake I like is a lighter style like the sponge that was the base of the xencake. Mud cake, fudge cake, heavy cakes of any kind I don't like.

My favourite cakes though are the lighter but deliciously complex multi element European style gateaux or torten. Or light lemon or citrus cakes... yum! Or really you can't beat a home made vanilla sponge with fresh strawberry or raspberry puree and real cream... yum!

Top Bottom