WYSIWYG editor in Pages

Shanj

Logician's templates let me edit the page with WYSWYG.
I can also enable my mods to edit like that.
Can these Pages do that? Much faster and easier for simple text + pics stuff.

Also I want some Pages access permissions by usergroup or several.
Even better for my homepage I want PARTS of the page per usergroup! To give links to their forums and info guide pages, section to have their own colour theme and symbol.
Could be done by a link on the central page for each usergroup but ... nicer if it's appears like just one.

Upvote 27
Why not just learn the basics of HTML? It's not really that hard to learn.

... because I do not want to be forced by software to learn (more) HTML just to be able to create simple static pages, maybe? Imagine having to learn HTML to construct CMS pages in a future XenForo CMS... or to keep it more up-to-date: imagine having to learn HTML to be able to post your articles in your Wordpress blog. I don't think many people will be happy about that. A content management system (the Pages could be seen as such, more or less), is there to manage our content. If I am forced to learn/use HTML to publish content, then I feel I am managing my content in the end, because I need to 'manage' it (learning HTML, etc) to get my content out. In this day of age I expect the software to manage what I can not or refuse to (with good reason) manage myself...

There's 2 points about that.

First, you're making it sound like it's some massive time consuming hassle to do work in an html editor and paste the contents into the XenForo page. It's not really.

Second, even if it was a task that would take a long time to complete, what are you planning to do with pages? I thought they would, for the most part, be used for static content, stuff that shouldn't need to be changed too often so again it wouldn't be a long hassle to do it using an html editor.

I follow your points and I also thought about the fact myself how often I would need to construct those pages indeed. However, trust me when I say that even if you don't use it often, it can be a big time-consuming hassle if you are not able to use the very convenient WYSIWYG in areas where you expect it. Constructing Notices in vBulletin 3.8 is a good example of that:

Well... as a non-HTML webuser/admin myself I think it would be more 'intuitive' if we are able to construct those Pages the same way as we can construct Postings. I always hated it with a passion that in vBulletin for example we could NOT create Notices without using HTML: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1731129&highlight=bbcode+notices#post1731129 ... and that gave me big headaches. There may be technical reasons and all, but I am the enduser. As an admin-enduser it really is counter-productive to be forced to use HTML just to create your simple Notices! (which is otherwise a fantastic system bytheway) I wonder if I feel the same when using the Pages functionality overhere.

Really most inconvenient if you do not want to use HTML.

I have been told by Kier that WYSWYG on Pages is NOT going to be in the core code
If you are going to quote something said in a private message, please at least make the quote accurate.

I actually said that it's not a priority for the core code, not that it will never be there or that no consideration has been or will be made for it.

I can appreciate why some people want a WYSIWYG editor for the pages but that will mean either very basic layouts or a huge amount of custom BBCode will need to be added.

If you aren't able to utilise HTML for the pages then how are you going to create the HTML replacement code for the BB Code?

Additonally, this custom BB Code will need to be documented and written out manually or custom buttons will need to be added to the editor.
If you don't want those custom buttons to appear on the normal post editor then you will need a separate editor instance.

So I can see pros and cons with both approaches.

If you are going to quote something said in a private message, please at least make the quote accurate.
I actually said that it's not a priority for the core code, not that it will never be there or that no consideration has been or will be made for it.

I'm sorry I didn't get it precisely right.
You're absolutely right I should have quoted.

I just meant to convey that the impression I had from Kier was WYSWYG isn't going to be in the core code any time soon and it was useful he said that modding it would be a simple job.
I never said it hasn't been considered nor ever will be! It HAS been considered, with at least two answers on it.

It's extremely useful to know that if we want this in the foreseeable future we need to look to the mod side. That's the main thing we need to know.

A content management system (the Pages could be seen as such, more or less), is there to manage our content. If I am forced to learn/use HTML to publish content, then I feel I am managing my content in the end, because I need to 'manage' it (learning HTML, etc) to get my content out. In this day of age I expect the software to manage what I can not or refuse to (with good reason) manage myself...

But we're not talking about a CMS here we're talking about the static pages and although it could be used as a make shift CMS and I do kind of agree with you on that, at the end of the day it is not a CMS.

It's a feature to allow us to crate static HTML pages to compliment the forums.

I'm sorry I didn't get it precisely right.
You're absolutely right I should have quoted.

I just meant to convey that the impression I had from Kier was WYSWYG isn't going to be in the core code any time soon and it was useful he said that modding it would be a simple job.
I never said it hasn't been considered nor ever will be! It HAS been considered, with at least two answers on it.

It's extremely useful to know that if we want this in the foreseeable future we need to look to the mod side. That's the main thing we need to know.
Actually, you should have kept a private msg private ..

Besides the point, yes, .. having a what you see is what you get editor in a text area for typing out content, is quite desirable, especially if you are not familiar with HTML.

Not being familiar with HTML also means it's safe to assume you're not familiar with the <xf: blahblah> conditionals, tags, and functionality. Including writing queries and what not.

Which are the great powers of Pages, and a few examples are: A weather page, a member-map page, a who's online that are your friends that have 5+ posts and left a like on one of your posts. Or a simple thing such as 'list all staff members with a mini profile.

Logician might have made one thing, that's not this.

Guys I've said loads of times I can do the html. If I want tables in Logicians templates I have to use html like for placing pictures better or columns, or borders. Otherwise it's not much needed.
But there's a huge amount you can do with WYSWYG which is quite adequate for most of the Pages I need and others need too.

As for the board syntax I understand from various comments on the forums that XF is a very different system from what we've all seen before.

Not everyone sees their role as learning code. To some board admins their role is a community organiser working with interactions between people - the code being a tool that they pay others to provide.

You can't do this http://xenforo.com/community/pages/example-page/ which in my opinion is about as basic as you can get.

Well obviously. But the only thing on that page beyond basic WYSWYG is text wrapping around the picture.
If the original page were done with html, the text sections could be updated by non html mods.
For a non html admin with no mod html skills to delegate to either, they'd have to accept the picture sitting on its own, not embedded so neatly in the text. Not so terrible.

I can do html - some admins don't. They are busy running a community.
Ditto mods - there are lots of excellent users who can usefully mod a board or a section of it. If we were limited to only users who know html to do that it would be a) hard to find mods with both sets of skills html + social; and b) an unfair barrier on all the really good mods who don't do html.

html is not hard to learn - for some. For some any code is a nightmare.
It also takes TIME to learn. Most busy mods and some admins don't have that time. They are too busy with the core tasks of admin or mod work - which is not coding.
Boards are about PEOPLE and INFORMATION. Code is a second level tool and as XF has made clear keeping the users and the content as the priority is the best way. Code is the servant not the mistress.
This is how you do it.
In your mod forum create a thread called Page Template.
Create or copy/paste various elements that one would use in a random page.
Header, Body, Footer, etc...
Make it really spaced out, really basic, with the area that the mods will edit in big block letters "ENTER HEADER IMAGE URL HERE". Or "ENTER BODY CONTENT HERE", "ENTER LIST HERE" etc...
Folks merely copy your code, replace your big block letters with their own content, and create their own page.
You can even post a cheat sheet of other things they can do in the pages by simply using a few other code snippets that you can give examples of.

Im going to have my mods create a bunch of pages i need. And then I or one of my mods who do have HTML skill can go over the created pages and see which ones need a finishing touch.

Really? Hmmm... I would have hoped we could just create the pages with XenForo's built in wysiwyg-editor indeed. Make it as simple and easy as possible to create those pages. I hoped it would work as a little basic 'CMS' where you create everything without ever having to touch any HTML or ditto editor for that matter. Which is exactly the purpose of a CMS in the first place: managing content without any knowledge of HTML. I realize Pages is no full fledged CMS solution, but hopefully an easier way to construct these pages will be offered?
Hey at least we get something to tide us over for now.
Im happy we have that.
Im sure that in the future it will include WYSIWYG functionality.

Top Bottom