XF 1.2 Wrong 'from address' in email from contact page

Jeffin

When I receive an email from someone who tries to contact me via the forum contact page, the from address is always my own webmaster email address and only in the content does it show the sender's email. Now the problem is that, many times I have hit the reply button in my email client and sent replies to myself. Couldn't we set it up so sender email shows up in the from address when the email is received?

By the way, I use Google Apps to receive and send these emails. Is that why this is happening?

I have attached this screenshot for your reference:

ss.webp

Thanks.

Hi Jeremy, thank you for your reply.

After I have disabled all my add-ons, the from header is still my own email address.

ss2.webp

I looked back at all my emails received via the xenforo contact page and it's been like this since 2010 after I installed Xenforo.

Last edited:
I suspect this may be the case if you're using Google SMTP to send it. It sounds like it's removing the Sender header and rewriting the From header. Try using the default PHP mail option.

I suspect this may be the case if you're using Google SMTP to send it. It sounds like it's removing the Sender header and rewriting the From header. Try using the default PHP mail option.

Hi Mike, thank you for your reply. I am using Google SMTP to send mails. That is probably why.
I use Google Apps to send and receive all my emails.

From technical point of view, would you recommend that I keep the settings as it is or change to PHP mail? Which is better and what would you have done?

Unless there are compelling reasons to do so, the local php standard method is recommended.

I use the default and Google Apps.

Hi Brogan, thank you for your reply. I am a little curious as to why local php standard method is better than Google SMTP. Is it the sending limits or are there other reasons? Do you recommend third party SMTP providers to send usual forum emails?

The reason why I am asking you is because when I change these email settings, I want to get it right this time. I want my forum emails to be 100% deliverable and have no issues at all in future. Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom