World of Warcraft players

I think you mean Warcraft 3, since Defense_of_the_Ancients is not possibly a mod for the World of Warcraft.
There was a DoTA private server project as well; it failed however, but there was a large backing for a while.

The emulation scene for wow is much more interesting then retail in my opinion; Blizzard tends to let it stagnate, and keeps losing focus on the things that originally made WoW interesting.

There was a DoTA private server project as well; it failed however, but there was a large backing for a while.

The emulation scene for wow is much more interesting then retail in my opinion; Blizzard tends to let it stagnate, and keeps losing focus on the things that originally made WoW interesting.

Yes i agree with you, i too played on a few really good private servers and they were much better maintained and were so much more better at keeping things up to date and keeping the people coming back. Heck, at one time i had my own emulator going for a while.

Yes i agree with you, i too played on a few really good private servers and they were much better maintained and were so much more better at keeping things up to date and keeping the people coming back. Heck, at one time i had my own emulator going for a while.
I had/have a project, though I don't really do much with it anymore (Its not public whatsoever).

We created a bunch of customized systems to make the game a bit more interesting, as well as setting up daily/weekly events that have made a few F2P MMO's much more popular. 

Mine was not public either, i did how ever share it with a bunch of friends, who shared it with their friends, and it grew to 300 members. Not many, but not bad at all. I love how you can customize just about anything with these emulators. I even turned the large 40 man raids into 3 man raids. I know i beefed up a lot of the weapons for high end content just to make it more viable for 3 man raids.

A XenFans guild almost sounds do-able. Will consider that and see what i can do to re-setup a private XenFans server. :D

<--------- quit wow on the account of too much wife aggro.
This is why I got my wife to play, now we both play. I had to upgrade 3 orders of cata today just for me, my wife, and our oldest daughter. October I have to buy my youngest a laptop with WoW. Its a family thing now. LOL

Mine was not public either, i did how ever share it with a bunch of friends, who shared it with their friends, and it grew to 300 members. Not many, but not bad at all. I love how you can customize just about anything with these emulators. I even turned the large 40 man raids into 3 man raids. I know i beefed up a lot of the weapons for high end content just to make it more viable for 3 man raids.

A XenFans guild almost sounds do-able. Will consider that and see what i can do to re-setup a private XenFans server. :D
We added a point based reward system that was based on raiding. Points were scaled by level, and there were checks for making sure there was no abuse of the system, as well as diminishing returns after a certain difference between mob and character level.

We also added in a marriage system with increased experience for the spouse/groom, as well as a marriage only buff and set of items/mounts.

Various events, including a custom PvP event that was completely FFA in a large maze.

Accounts/characters were integrated into vBulletin, so that we could manage characters/accounts through the UserCP, and we also created a framework to develop various features for our site, including a guild system built into vBulletin by using the social group feature.

I forget everything else, but we did a lot of work before we all got bored of playing around with it. 

Yeah, it can get very involved, which is why i stopped doing it. Between keeping up with the updated, abuse, and everything else, i did not see the fun out of it anymore. Plus i don't have that time like i used to.

Love the conversation so far but please leave out the private server talk as that is still against their policy and considered piracy. Don't want this thread getting closed due to that talk. :)

Yeah, that be true, but you can talk about it, as long as you don't run one. In fact, there is nothing that states in their EULA that you cannot talk about it. It's a common talk just about anywhere you go. So long as no one runs one it's ok. The past is past and that is all it is.

Love the conversation so far but please leave out the private server talk as that is still against their policy and considered piracy. Don't want this thread getting closed due to that talk. :)
Emulation isn't piracy, at least there has been no precedent set for it yet.

I was going to take it to private conversation after that post though, as I wasn't planning on continuing on here.

I think the last I played on retail was 2.4.3, but I've always thought there was a social aspect of WoW that was missing in comparison to other games. I came from Battle.net (The original), and its much more social than I've ever found WoW to be. 

Yeah, that be true, but you can talk about it, as long as you don't run one. In fact, there is nothing that states in their EULA that you cannot talk about it. It's a common talk just about anywhere you go. So long as no one runs one it's ok. The past is past and that is all it is.
I don't keep on top of the talk. I just know Blizzard has deemed it piracy but if you say so then I'll leave it be. :)

Emulation isn't piracy, at least there has been no precedent set for it yet.

I was going to take it to private conversation after that post though, as I wasn't planning on continuing on here.

I think the last I played on retail was 2.4.3, but I've always thought there was a social aspect of WoW that was missing in comparison to other games. I came from Battle.net (The original), and its much more social than I've ever found WoW to be.
Emulation is still using the files against the will of the owner. So technically still piracy. BTW, WoW is now part of Battle.net with many new social features especially real id where you can talk with your friends on whatever Blizzard game they are playing.

I don't keep on top of the talk. I just know Blizzard has deemed it piracy but if you say so then I'll leave it be. :)

Emulation is still using the files against the will of the owner. So technically still piracy. BTW, WoW is now part of Battle.net with many new social features especially real id where you can talk with your friends on whatever Blizzard game they are playing.
Real ID was the worst idea they ever implemented, especially if you saw how someone easily released personal information on the main employee's of blizzard with just their names.

BNet2.0 can't compare socially to how it was for WC2, D2, SC, WC3; the channel system while often abused, was much easier to socialize in. With the new system, its much harder, and it decreases the people you are likely to socialize with.

With as much hype as they've put forth to everything they've done in recent years, much of it has been a disappointment. 

This is why I got my wife to play, now we both play. I had to upgrade 3 orders of cata today just for me, my wife, and our oldest daughter. October I have to buy my youngest a laptop with WoW. Its a family thing now. LOL

Can I move in? doh! wait, I'm quitting WOW. The dark side is calling me back!

Top Bottom