Wordpress + Xenforo Bridge

billybatz9

Hey guys,

I am thinking about paying a developer to create a bridge for wordpress and xenforo. The bridges that I see now are lacking some things that I want.

• Login widget, or at least a login bar that can be added to your main wordpress wordpress site like xenforo has.
  • Make wordpress the "master"
    • I hear that xenforo is the "master" when taking registered users and do not add users to the wordpress database, therefore not allowing users to use some of the other wordpress plugins.
  • There some other things, but the list can go on forever.....

But please do add your comments, add ons, critiques, and whatever else you have about this. This is just my opinion and my thread. So please if you have anything bad to say, keep it to yourself.

Good luck on the endeavor. There are a few quick questions which come to mind.

Why do you need a login widget like XenForo if the users are coming from the WP database? Why not just use the WP login widgets and block off (redirect) XF registration?

Are you thinking about synching between WP and XF users? Without modifying the database tables - how would you keep information synchronized (they contain different fields)? Are you thinking of adding custom fields?

Are you thinking this is a WP single install or a WP multisite installation?

Warm regards,

Good to have someone take the initiative.

However, I think it would be a lot better to have xenForo be the master instead since xenForo can handle registrations a lot better than wordpress.

Have xenForo be the master, and wordpress the slave. Open registrations to both (but that would be a little more difficult). Having registrations open to only xenForo would actually be a better way of making it more consistent and possibly a little less complex. Any time a user registers on xenForo, and then accesses wordpress their account is automatically created onto wordpress and some of the xenForo fields are copied over.

The main functionality that the current bridges lack is the fact that they don't replicate accounts onto wordpress. If you ever stop using the bridge, all your members won't have access to wordpress since they never had accounts there, among many other things.

To reduce the complexity of the whole plugin, it would be best if registrations are handled by one software. Unless, having it open to both would be more beneficial.

I recommend that you take some reference from this great bridge "http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-united/" that bridges phpBB and wordpress. The features it provides are quite outstanding.

• User integration: including single sign-on, synchronised profiles and avatars, and user management. Works with external registration modules such as social login plugins. Users in phpBB get accounts in WordPress and vice versa. Completely controllable and customisable by setting permissions for who can integrate and at what level, using a unique drag-and-drop interface.
  • Template integration: Have your phpBB forum appear inside your WordPress site. Or vice-versa; integrate your WordPress blog inside your phpBB header and footer. Includes a "one-click" mode that analyses your theme's CSS and modifies it on the fly to avoid CSS and HTML conflicts. This is no iFrame solution, it is a complete and automatic template integration.
  • Behaviour integration: Use phpBB smilies and word censor features in WordPress
  • Cross-posting: Post something in WordPress and have it cross-posted to your forum -- Automatically or manually, you choose! Once an item is cross-posted, comments in phpBB and WordPress can be set to sync up under the blog item too!

Good to have someone take the initiative.

However, I think it would be a lot better to have xenForo be the master instead since xenForo can handle registrations a lot better than wordpress.

Have xenForo be the master, and wordpress the slave. Open registrations to both (but that would be a little more difficult). Having registrations open to only xenForo would actually be a better way of making it more consistent and possibly a little less complex. Any time a user registers on xenForo, and then accesses wordpress their account is automatically created onto wordpress and some of the xenForo fields are copied over.

The main functionality that the current bridges lack is the fact that they don't replicate accounts onto wordpress. If you ever stop using the bridge, all your members won't have access to wordpress since they never had accounts there, among many other things.

To reduce the complexity of the whole plugin, it would be best if registrations are handled by one software. Unless, having it open to both would be more beneficial.

I recommend that you take some reference from this great bridge "http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-united/" that bridges phpBB and wordpress. The features it provides are quite outstanding.
I'd drop into the 3 figures for something like...

The additional features that I quoted aren't a necessity, the user integration is.

Are you talking about three figures for developing it, or for selling it?
I'm saying that I'll throw in a few hundred myself to whoever develops this.

Biggest thing I'm looking for is something that will sync the user databases so that all Wordpress plugins still work (XF being master). The other thing is being able to sync a xf thread with a wp post so that the comments appear in both.

I'm saying that I'll throw in a few hundred myself to whoever develops this.

Biggest thing I'm looking for is something that will sync the user databases so that all Wordpress plugins still work (XF being master). The other thing is being able to sync a xf thread with a wp post so that the comments appear in both.

Oops, I misunderstood you. Sorry about that, and little things like usergroup mapping would obviously be needed.

Reactions: DBA
Well..

I was just giving ideas about the login widget or login bar (like xenforo), because I know some sites don't have sidebars and then will have to download other plugins just to use the login widget on a page.

But yeah, faeronsayn your right. Something like wp-united for xenforo will be great. I just want my users to be able to use wordpress plugins. Plus I will feel more comfortable having the software developed and updated because buying other bridges scare me.... because I never know when the producers will bail and leave us all with a huge mess.

Basically what I am looking for is...
1) Single registration, login, log off, etc (double registration will be a pain in the ass to users, but I will need to see if this is possible)
2) I will most likely have xenforo the master then for sign ups... But I will still want their accounts to be automatically registered to wordpress when they sign up so they can use all plugins wordpress has to offer.
3) Template integration will be pretty freaking awesome...

....I will get a quote to see how much all this costs from my developers. But just keep shooting me ideas so I know what to include to get a price for everything that we want.

This software is honestly the only thing holding me back

Well..

I was just giving ideas about the login widget or login bar (like xenforo), because I know some sites don't have sidebars and then will have to download other plugins just to use the login widget on a page.

But yeah, faeronsayn your right. Something like wp-united for xenforo will be great. I just want my users to be able to use wordpress plugins. Plus I will feel more comfortable having the software developed and updated because buying other bridges scare me.... because I never know when the producers will bail and leave us all with a huge mess.

Basically what I am looking for is...
1) Single registration, login, log off, etc (double registration will be a pain in the ass to users, but I will need to see if this is possible)

There is no need for double registration. Unless you meant for users to be able to register on wordpress or on xenForo and have their information copied over to the other. Even then it's quite troublesome and will confuse users if there are two different registration pages for one site. Best way to make this possible is have the xenForo registration page fit into your overall theme of the site making it seem as though the user is still registering for that exact site.

The important thing is to make sure that Wordpress plugins still work such as membership plugins like Wishlist Member which is used to run a private paid membership site and makes use of the Wordpress member database. If Xenforo were the "master" and created users in Wordpress then this should be fine. Also having people be able to login via Wordpress and be logged into Xenforo is needed as well. That way plugins that use the Wordpress members list will still work.

The important thing is to make sure that Wordpress plugins still work such as membership plugins like Wishlist Member which is used to run a private paid membership site and makes use of the Wordpress member database. If Xenforo were the "master" and created users in Wordpress then this should be fine. Also having people be able to login via Wordpress and be logged into Xenforo is needed as well. That way plugins that use the Wordpress members list will still work.

The second part is as easy as storing a cookie, it shouldn't be that difficult and the current bridges have that sort of functionality already. The main feature that lacks with user authentication is that users aren't replicated over to wordpress. Once that's done, the other features would be quite easy to implement.

There have been so many conversations about this that it leaves me wondering if any of you (or other XF fans) are using amember.

http://www.amember.com/p/

At first glance, it appears to do a lot of what some have mentioned - AND, you get the advantage of a development team which is likely to be around (they've been around awhile and are not tied to one software).

I note that they are planning to implement password moves.....
http://www.amember.com/forum/threads/integrate-xenforo-users-into-amember.14137/

But for a newer site, that may not matter....

There's a ton of ideas floating about. I think if you made this a group project you'll find it to be infinitely cheaper as we all would probably throw in money toward development. A lot of us could use such a plugin. I know I could.

Im just looking to make a wordpress plugin... not really an xenforo add on....

More like a Wp-United, but for xenforo

Im just looking to make a wordpress plugin... not really an xenforo add on....

More like a Wp-United, but for xenforo
Have you try Xendynamic? It's unsupported anymore but it's still works with WP 3.5.1 + xf 1.1.3

Or maybe you can contact the author and asking a permission to continue the project.

This is what I am getting a quote for....

1) User integration: including single sign-on, synchronised profiles and avatars, and user management. Works with external registration modules such as social login plugins. Users in xenforo get accounts in WordPress and vice versa. Completely controllable and customisable by setting permissions for who can integrate and at what level, using a unique drag-and-drop interface.
2) Template integration: Have your xenforo forum appear inside your WordPress site. Or vice-versa; integrate your WordPress blog inside your xenforo header and footer. Includes a "one-click" mode that analyses your theme's CSS and modifies it on the fly to avoid CSS and HTML conflicts. This is no iFrame solution, it is a complete and automatic template integration.
3) Cross-posting: Post something in WordPress and have it cross-posted to your forum -- Automatically or manually, you choose! Once an item is cross-posted, comments in xenforo and WordPress can be set to sync up under the blog item too!

(All based from Wp-United)

Widgets...
1) Latest forum posts (Able to decide if you want to show all categories or certain categories/subforums)
2) An integrated login/meta/avatar/profile block (similar to xenforos)
3) Forum Statistics

This is what I am getting a quote for....

2) Template integration: Have your xenforo forum appear inside your WordPress site. Or vice-versa; integrate your WordPress blog inside your xenforo header and footer. Includes a "one-click" mode that analyses your theme's CSS and modifies it on the fly to avoid CSS and HTML conflicts. This is no iFrame solution, it is a complete and automatic template integration.
^This.....is something I really need, I would love to have my xenforo header/navbar and below any wordpress template, preferably a premium paid one I have in mind. Lemme know about a quote on this, im highly interested.

Top Bottom