Wordpress vs XenPorta for news blogging

kenng

How does it compare when it comes to blog news on frontpage? I've seen 8wayrun frontpage and it's done nicely there.

I am still deciding to use XenPorta as frontpage or wordpress? Any suggestion would be great!

The only reason why I chose wp over xp was some bookmarking sites don't allow forum posts to be added. And many other sites and it's users like to see "blog" posts instead of forum posts so you can get better exposure that way.

Our WP (news and articles) posts were kept in vBulletin thanks to the bridge so the standard converter sorted those out.

Our static pages - well there wasn't that many and we kind of changed our scope somewhat at the same time as moving so we started again. We stripped out a load of content and recreated it as XenForo static pages.

This did mean we weren't able to redirect some search indexed content from WP to XF but this was a conscious decision.

I have over 100 posts and pages on WP, many of them are well-linked and liked (500+ FB likes) so we don't want to lose them when we change to a new platform.
While I like Xenporta and use it for a new forum, I need a way to maintain the old url structure.

We're sticking with WordPress and hoping that the perfect WP-XF theme/bridge is developed soon. I think WordPress gives us more control to us over the way we publish content. I'm not sure how XenPorta works, but does it not store all your articles in XF threads?

We're sticking with WordPress and hoping that the perfect WP-XF theme/bridge is developed soon. I think WordPress gives us more control to us over the way we publish content. I'm not sure how XenPorta works, but does it not store all your articles in XF threads?
It does store all articles in XF threads and it is very easy for members as well as editors. The comment sync is nice. You can take a look at 8wayrun.com for more. It does look like blog. I believe with the right CSS, you can do more like wordpress style.

We moved yesterday from a broken Wordpress to a very functional XenPorta. Of course, we're still tweaking it, but it's already much better thanks to thread promotions, ease of use, etc.

We had nothing but trouble with getting content from the boards to the front page using WordPress. We're basically starting fresh and rebuilding. The WP is still there just in case, but the home no longer points there. It would be an easy change to go back if we wanted to - which I don't see.

Right now we're trying to figure out ways to add blocks. The original XenPorta post says there are "Over a dozen pre-installed module blocks" but we only see 8. Trying to figure out the rest is fun!

edit: Never mind! Found them! They are in the original compressed file and you have to load them individually. Not sure why they weren't a part of the package...

Came across this thread and thought maybe it would be a good place to ask folks if they have noticed something I have the last couple of days.

I still have my wordpress blog under the main url, I just moved it to /blog folder. It is a magazine style theme with a leaderboard ad in the header and a bunch of ads in the sidebar. As a WP site, it was fairly profitable simply from ad click throughs because I was getting awesome ads from my ad network. Something I noticed yesterday is that I'm still getting awesome, relevant ads on the wordpress pages, but for some reason, I get lots of role playing video game ads and stuff like that on my xenforo pages??? Has anyone else using both WP and xenforo noticed this? My click throughs are down big time compared to when I ran just a wordpress site. The last couple of days I've thought about ditching XenPorta as my homepage for no other reason but the ads that are displaying.

Hum. I see.
Do you have your forum on the root or on a /forum directory?

Ours is a little more convoluted than that thanks to my screwing up the initial install of everything. The url is www.halforums.com and the wordpress bridge was at /wpxx (changed to prevent people from just going there) and the forum is at /xenforo. So the XenPorta is at /xenforo/portal. It's a huge pain in the butt but unless I scrap everything and reload it and the redirects, it'll stay that way. As I said, we are not the best example to use for this. :)

Top Bottom