Woot! Pricing and Release info :D

Kim

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/beta-release-date-and-pricing.3876/

Oh yeah baby!
ohyeah.gif

Good news and timing works well for me as had a new forum planned!

Quick question: If after Year 1 I didn't want to be pay for future updates, would I still be able to run the forum? I.e. when I buy the license is it a lifetime license? Or do I need to keep paying yearly to use it?

i think the developers made it clear that you would not get updates and support after the one year period. :)

but yea, it would be cool if they can mention all these details in the announcement.

"12-month update and support extensions will be purchasable for $40." from that it suggests that the yearly fee is only necessary if you wish to have official support and/or access to updates.

I didn't say there wouldn't be an importer for it. Just said that there isn't one right now. It is on the cards.

I hope not too distant to be available.
Some of us are with vB 4 and can not go back :(
In any case, no doubt we will buy two licenses to begin testing in parallel with our forums vB 4 :cool:
Please inform the launch day, 24 hours is very little time and do not want to miss the event.

Yes, your license gives you the right to run the software forever. If you want access to official support and the latest software versions, your license must be kept up-to-date with extensions.
Apologies but I have a related question.

Say someone purchases XenForo 1.0 and runs it for 5 years without purchasing support.
When they finally decide to upgrade/purchase support, will they just pay the current price for the latest release (which will give them 12 months of support) or will they need to fill in the missing years' worth of support?

Presumably the former as they will effectively be treated as a new purchaser?

Apologies but I have a related question.

Say someone purchases XenForo 1.0 and runs it for 5 years without purchasing support.
When they finally decide to upgrade/purchase support, will they just pay the current price for the latest release (which will give them 12 months of support) or will they need to fill in the missing years' worth of support?

Presumably the former as they will effectively be treated as a new purchaser?

From my experience you usually only have to pay the current yearly support agreement, so you only have to pay whatever the equivalent of the current $40 annual fee is in 5 years time.

Of course xenforo might run slightly differently, but that is how it operates now with IPB and lots of other suppliers... including myself, you might have bought a skin off me 5 years ago, and if you want the upgrade now it will only cost you the upgrade fee, not a repurchase.

*Edit - this is not the xenforo model, there will be a "re-activation" fee if your annual renewals lapse beyond 9 months. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/woot-pricing-and-release-info-d.3877/page-6#post-59777

From my experience you usually only have to pay the current yearly support agreement, so you only have to pay whatever the equivalent of the current $40 annual fee is in 5 years time.
Wow!
That's an even better deal.

So effectively the license cost is a one-off and all subsequent payments are only related to support and upgrades, regardless of how up to date your installation is?

Example A - purchaser keeps up to date with all releases and support:
  • Year 1 - $140 ($100 if bought on day 1)
  • Year 2 - $40
  • Year 3 - $40
  • Year 4 - $40
  • etc.
Example B - purchaser skips every other year for releases and support:
  • Year 1 - $140 ($100 if bought on day 1)
  • Year 2 - sticks with current release
  • Year 3 - $40
  • Year 4 - sticks with current release
  • etc.
Personally speaking, for the sake of $40 per year (although this will of course increase with inflation, etc,) and knowing how great this software will be as it evolves, I'll be going for the continuous example A.

Wow!
That's an even better deal.

So effectively the license cost is a one-off and all subsequent payments are only related to support and upgrades, regardless of how up to date your installation is?

Well obviously I can't speak for xenforo, but that would be my interpretation yes :)

I paid for an upgrade to an IPB license a little while ago, that hadn't had any lovin for 3 years, and it was just the usual annual fee to get the latest version and a year of support! :D

*Edit - this is not the xenforo model, there will be a "re-activation" fee if your annual renewals lapse beyond 9 months. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/woot-pricing-and-release-info-d.3877/page-6#post-59777

Top Bottom