Winter Is Here!

I had to abandon my BMW at the side of the road a few years ago.
Very wide low profile tyres + big engine + snow is not a good mix :D

Very similar here in London, snowed for less than an hour and it's up to 10cm in places.
Yeah, I was driving through London yesterday, in an attempt to avoid the static M25. Six hours from Thetford to Reading. Ouch. (Normally takes just under three).

As for BMW - they are hopeless in the snow unless prepared for it with winter tyres etc. The same goes for most rear-wheel drive cars - most of the vehicles abandoned around here are premium German brands. I only managed to get mine home because I wrangled with the traction control until it allowed me to spin the wheels fast enough to melt the snow underneath them and get enough grip to catapult me forwards, after which I had an epic hundred meter sideways power slide...

Fun... kinda.

I had to abandon my BMW at the side of the road a few years ago.
Very wide low profile tyres + big engine + snow is not a good mix :D
Good winter tyres + chains (when needed) + 100kg ballast weight in the trunk during the winter months works with any rear wheel drive car. Of course, if you live in a region where snow is a rare thing, you're most likely not going to do this...

A BMW with summer tyres is almost impossible to handle in snowy conditions, so I got used to these tactics and they are working well enough. A front wheeler (let alone a 4wd) with winter tyres alone might still do better than a BMW with full scale winter equipment.

I noticed a big difference between FWD and AWD for deep snow and taking off from a stop. Winter tires work great for ice (although not much for deep snow).

Well, you can't beat a 4wd in snow, no doubt on that. I once had a X3 for a few days when my own car was in for inspection, and it was pure fun (yes, it was during winter and there was enough snow to "test drive" some of its capabilities).

Unless, of course, you drive one of them, then you don't need to care about snow at all :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We finally got a reprieve for a couple of days!
biggrin.gif

The snow is here some weeks now. 2 weeks or more I think.

It has been 50 year we had a white Christmas eve and over 10 that we had this type of weather early in the Winter in Belgium.

Top Bottom