Windows 8.1

Hey Ive got no problem with people not upgrading :) I just don't understand the "it don't work" comments :D

I remember the uproar when the start menu change from XP to Vista, Hell I was one of them! But after time you realise that it was better in every way.
I guess it goes the same way... Someone of us don't understand the "it works" comment.

XP to Vista was not the complete removal of the start menu. It only changed some of the icons and a few small menus. No real change. Windows 8 and 8.1 removes the start menu. Such they added the button back, but it's still not a menu, it has been replaced with what could be described as another type of desktop with large icons all over the place.

But the start menu argument is sort of a petty one. There are many other reasons why people dislike Windows 8, just as I'm sure there are many reasons why you will claim to like it. It's all about preference in the end and from what I gather, most people would stick with Windows 7 or if given no other choice, try something else.

Hey Ive got no problem with people not upgrading :) I just don't understand the "it don't work" comments :D

I remember the uproar when the start menu change from XP to Vista, Hell I was one of them! But after time you realise that it was better in every way.

I think you do understand perfectly. You just probably don't like to hear it and that because it works for you it automatically works for everyone else, Perhaps that's where the confusion lies?

The following isn't directed towards you just generally speaking here.

I'm not sure where the misunderstanding comes from personally but I base using win 8 from my own personal experience. Practically every program I installed crashed and that's when I managed to get it installed. The UI (as stated numerous times) is confusing, unintuitive on desktops and pretty much useless to a large portion of MS userbase (it's why a large percentage kicked up) it's why MS tried to make amends for their screwup.

You get to give one impression in my books and take vb 5 for example - Many people found it unusable, heck they even complained about it and still do to this day. What is the difference from them complaining and people who find win8 unusable pointing out flaws? Nothing yet we still see people pointing out flaws in the vb solution and nobody here batters an eyelid. I'd say there is a touch of hypocrisy here.

I don't think I ever recall just saying "it doesn't work" I pointed out what are the issues and other stuff I think are issues but that's up to anyone person to decide whether they think that is valid, personally I don't care enough if they think my concern with the gimiky ( windows 8 - NCIS LA wannabe) OS is legitimate or warranted for that matter. I know I had major issues with it and that is the impression MS left me with in that their latest flagship OS is a pile of tiled crap amongst many other areas I found it to be confusing.

Not directed towards you @Xencored I just happened to quote you. I've stated my concerns and issues with the OS so unsure what it is you don't understand. It's a vague statement to make much like if i said "I don't understand your OS works" it just doesn't make sense when issues where pointed out and in other threads.

If it works for you then great, it never worked for me (or rather my brother) since it was his system I had to deal with but I'm telling things from my experience.

I think you do understand perfectly. You just probably don't like to hear it and that because it works for you it automatically works for everyone else, Perhaps that's where the confusion lies?
Sure I'm only messing about. I can understand what some people don't like it and can't get on with it. After all alot has changed.

I'm not sure where the misunderstanding comes from personally but I base using win 8 from my own personal experience. Practically every program I installed crashed and that's when I managed to get it installed. The UI (as stated numerous times) is confusing, unintuitive on desktops and pretty much useless to a large portion of MS userbase (it's why a large percentage kicked up) it's why MS tried to make amends for their screwup.
Well I can't say ive had any program which didn't install but am sure people have! after this is an MS product.
Just out of interest could you name one which didn't install?

You get to give one impression in my books and take vb 5 for example - Many people found it unusable, heck they even complained about it and still do to this day. What is the difference from them complaining and people who find win8 unusable pointing out flaws? Nothing yet we still see people pointing out flaws in the vb solution and nobody here batters an eyelid. I'd say there is a touch of hypocrisy here.
Never seen VB5 but I know dam well what you mean... I thought the same upon seenign VB4

I don't think I ever recall just saying "it doesn't work" I pointed out what are the issues and other stuff I think are issues but that's up to anyone person to decide whether they think that is valid, personally I don't care enough if they think my concern with the gimiky ( windows 8 - NCIS LA wannabe) OS is legitimate or warranted for that matter. I know I had major issues with it and that is the impression MS left me with in that their latest flagship OS is a pile of tiled crap amongst many other areas I found it to be confusing.
Well the "it doesn't work wasn't directed to you or anyone here really was an overall comment as I couldn't write the 1mil quotes on peoples problems :D

Not directed towards you @Xencored I just happened to quote you.
Aye I know don't worry :) it's all fun

I've stated my concerns and issues with the OS so unsure what it is you don't understand. It's a vague statement to make much like if i said "I don't understand your OS works" it just doesn't make sense when issues where pointed out and in other threads.
TBH I don't use any of the new UI improvements from Windows 8. If someone sat at my computer they would think it was windows 7 (other than the start button is a different logo) Ive turned off all the metro and sidebar UI that's why. Windows run faster and more stable than it did on windows 7 (At least for me anyway :p)

If it works for you then great, it never worked for me (or rather my brother) since it was his system I had to deal with but I'm telling things from my experience.
That's all that matters at the end of the day I guess if your happy with it than that's great if your not than it's window 7 still I guess. It's hard for them to please everyone.

I do think tho window should of been released as two versions.
A desktop one and a Tablet one.
It was a risk they took and as you said it failed for more than most of the people.
Meh I'm typing to much now which is not good as my grammer sucks!
Happy Xmas! :p

Sure I'm only messing about. I can understand what some people don't like it and can't get on with it. After all alot has changed.

Well I can't say ive had any program which didn't install but am sure people have! after this is an MS product.
Just out of interest could you name one which didn't install?

Never seen VB5 but I know dam well what you mean... I thought the same upon seenign VB4

Well the "it doesn't work wasn't directed to you or anyone here really was an overall comment as I couldn't write the 1mil quotes on peoples problems :D

Aye I know don't worry :) it's all fun

TBH I don't use any of the new UI improvements from Windows 8. If someone sat at my computer they would think it was windows 7 (other than the start button is a different logo) Ive turned off all the metro and sidebar UI that's why. Windows run faster and more stable than it did on windows 7 (At least for me anyway :p)

That's all that matters at the end of the day I guess if your happy with it than that's great if your not than it's window 7 still I guess. It's hard for them to please everyone.

I do think tho window should of been released as two versions.
A desktop one and a Tablet one.
It was a risk they took and as you said it failed for more than most of the people.
Meh I'm typing to much now which is not good as my grammer sucks!
Happy Xmas! :p

Ah good good. :)

I like to think I embrace change and do but I guess as you mentioned (I got unlucky) or rather my brother did since he hasn't used the new system even once since we purchased it. Funnily as I was trying to install, fix the system to meet his requirements I'm cursing it whilst he's sniggering in the background. :P But it's a shame that he's paid into the thousands for a system he never uses (waste of money). But that is life. I refuse to touch his PC again and have offered to install Win 7 on it but he doesn't seem bothered so it's sitting (back in the box) gathering dust.

I will say (said it a few times) the new surface pro 2 looks good (the OP posted a nice video) of some guy creating/designing something on it using the OS. I think this is where the OS excels (on tablets) perhaps their Mobile phone devices but I can definetely see potential on tablets so much so I'm tempted by it since I'm getting sick of google and having them force me to have their google+ and all their forced garbage on my tablet. So this is something I will personally be looking at and the Mac pro when I upgrade my system in the coming year. But at this time I'm still happy with win7 and do a minor upgrade for titanfall before I make the major upgrade later next year.

Hope you have a great Xmas too.

Ah good good. :)

I like to think I embrace change and do but I guess as you mentioned (I got unlucky) or rather my brother did since he hasn't used the new system even once since we purchased it. Funnily as I was trying to install, fix the system to meet his requirements I'm cursing it whilst he's sniggering in the background. :p But it's a shame that he's paid into the thousands for a system he never uses (waste of money). But that is life. I refuse to touch his PC again and have offered to install Win 7 on it but he doesn't seem bothered so it's sitting (back in the box) gathering dust.

I will say (said it a few times) the new surface pro 2 looks good (the OP posted a nice video) of some guy creating/designing something on it using the OS. I think this is where the OS excels (on tablets) perhaps their Mobile phone devices but I can definetely see potential on tablets so much so I'm tempted by it since I'm getting sick of google and having them force me to have their google+ and all their forced garbage on my tablet. So this is something I will personally be looking at and the Mac pro when I upgrade my system in the coming year. But at this time I'm still happy with win7 and do a minor upgrade for titanfall before I make the major upgrade later next year.

Hope you have a great Xmas too.
Did you ever try it with that start8 shelley in the end? I remember talking about it ages ago with you in some other post.

Did you ever try it with that start8 shelley in the end? I remember talking about it ages ago with you in some other post.

Never tried it, though I didn't know about this program at the time I was setting up and fixing his computer. It was my Brothers system so it was basically get stuff installed, remove the 3rd party garbage that comes with pre-installed OS and set everything up with the essential programs, games etc he uses/plays. As you can tell, nothing would work when I eventually got it to install but it's been put down to one of those purchases you learn from and don't make that mistake again.

Never tried it, though I didn't know about this program at the time I was setting up and fixing his computer. It was my Brothers system so it was basically get stuff installed, remove the 3rd party garbage that comes with pre-installed OS and set everything up with the essential programs, games etc he uses/plays. As you can tell, nothing would work when I eventually got it to install but it's been put down to one of those purchases you learn from and don't make that mistake again.
Okay matey. Windows 9 may be better for him! Or not lol

Microsoft... (I'll say it) try to be something like apple...
I'm sure most will have seen it by now, but holy Toledo was I shocked the first time I saw a Microsoft store in a mall! I did one of those cartoon double takes (wa-wa-wa-what - shaking head) and thought I was hallucinating. The store appeared for all intents and purposes as an Apple store. I thought maybe that Microsoft had bought out Apple. I mean the only thing missing was the genius bar! :)

I think it's clear that Microsoft is indeed trying to be 'something' like Apple! ;)

Last edited:
I don't use any of the new UI improvements from Windows 8. If someone sat at my computer they would think it was windows 7 (other than the start button is a different logo) Ive turned off all the metro and sidebar UI that's why. Windows run faster and more stable than it did on windows 7 (At least for me anyway :p)
I think Windows 8 looks cool at first then when you start fiddling around with it you begin missing Windows 7. I have both W7 and W8 on my Mac through VMWare Fusion. I have observed that Windows 8 uses less RAM and processes.

Performance-wise it is a notable improvement. UI-wise, it's horrible. Only by switching off the extra crap they threw in there can you start getting used to it as if it was Windows 7. But we lost aero, the start menu and some other features because Microsoft sacrificed them to decrease the RAM usage.

Those were too many sacrifices for the sake of speed. Add to the fact Windows 8 is designed to not be downgraded to Windows 7 thanks to them changing the boot structure. I'm going to find a customized version of Windows 8 that doesn't have most of the bad UI changes and install that.

titanfall
I think I would like win8 on the surface . I doubt i would have any issues with it whatsoever since it's a tablet and feel the OS is catered for tablets. Looking at the specs the surface pro 2 (latest version) is a tablet I think I would get on well with.
UPS showed up at 8:10pm local time. been playing with it on and off since then while I've been out smoking the turkey/brisket/ribs. so far I'm really liking it. I love the fact I can run a lot of the utilities I need for my clients from a small package like this and it works well with Sonicwall. It is taking a little getting used to and next purchase is the keyboard cover when they come back in stock. And yes, this is being typed on it as I'm sitting next to the pit cooking. :D

Top Bottom