Windows 8.1 Preview

Adam Howard

Capture.webp

And so it begins. :rolleyes:

Like with the xboxone, not interested. Quite happy with win7 and have no intentions whatsoever to try win8 or any version of win8.

I have Windows 8.0, but only because I did not know better. Or I should say, I should have known better... There was clearly enough writing on the wall and well advance warnings, but I figured it was the usual "I hate M$" talk that usually follows a release.

Windows 8.0 isn't exactly as bad as people made it out to be. Sure I had to install, Classic Shell, to bring back my start menu. And I could easily overlook that, but overall I feel its a waste of money. And their new and improved verification program, has already made me look for away to bypass it on another computer.

I'm using Windows 8 on 2 PC's, Windows 7 on another, but they all have Ubuntu for dual boot. And with all my games on Steam moving to Linux or Linux back port... It's becoming less and less required of me to keep Windows.

Even my business apps, such as office have alternatives which run on Linux & keep the formatting between the two without issue. pdf files have long been supported to make, edit, and save on Linux as well.

Windows 8.1 is where they plan on adding a subscription service. They've not exactly been forth coming on details on that. However, with all the bad press they received with xBox One, maybe they'll wise up and not include it.

But this is Microsoft and so I'm not exactly having much trust or faith in them right now....

I'm not seeing myself or anyone logically paying a subscription to use the operating system and thus paying a monthly or yearly subscription to be using my own computer, which I own.

Last edited:
Was it too much for Microsoft to get a clean shaven guy? WTH are they thinking?
I have Windows 8.0, but only because I did not know better. Or I should say, I should have known better... There was clearly enough writing on the wall and well advance warnings, but I figured it was the usual "I hate M$" talk that usually follows a release.

Windows 8.0 isn't exactly as bad as people made it out to be. Sure I had to install, Classic Shell, to bring back my start menu. And I could easily overlook that, but overall I feel its a waste of money. And their new and improved verification program, has already made me look for away to bypass it on another computer.

I'm using Windows 8 on 2 PC's, Windows 7 on another, but they all have Ubuntu for dual boot. And with all my games on Steam moving to Linux or Linux back port... It's becoming less and less required of me to keep Windows.

Even my business apps, such as office have alternatives which run on Linux & keep the formatting between the two without issue. pdf files have long been supported to make, edit, and save on Linux as well.

Windows 8.1 is where they plan on adding a subscription service. They've not exactly been forth coming on details on that. However, with all the bad press they received with xBox One, maybe they'll wise up and not include it.

But this is Microsoft and so I'm not exactly having much trust or faith in them right now....

I'm not seeing myself or anyone logically paying a subscription to use the operating system and thus paying a monthly or yearly subscription to be using my own computer, which I own.

I think we've all been there, done that and wearing the T-shirt with regards to "we should have known better" sometimes even when we feel something is wrong or know it'll be a disaster we still take that plunge. Take for example from my recent purchases - Diablo 3, Sim City. I knew and even was given advice not to purchase but still I took a leap of faith even though I knew better (not that i should have known) but knew and ignorantly expected what was to come with those two examples.

Thankfully, my brother purchased a new computer which was pre-installed with win 8 and then knew win8 was not for me, never will. I simply don't care what fixes Microsoft make or enticing refinements they implement they had their chance and blew it. I'll stick to my guns this time and by that I'm a big Command & Conquer fan but i will not purchases EA's new game just like I won't purchase Blizzard Games again or the xboxone since the direction Microsoft seem to be taking nowadays is 2 steps back for every one step they make.

Eitherway. I'm slowly learning from the mistakes (purchases) I make from certain companies and sticking to my guns this time. Hopefully. :p

I don't mind Win 8 too much. I just got a new laptop, and naturally it's got Win 8 pre-installed, and while I'm still a much bigger fan of XP than 8, now that I'm used to it, I don't mind it that much. I just created a shortcut on the desktop to show all applications, and I'm really not missing the Start button all that much since doing that. It's not perfect, but it's not as bad as it's made out to be...

It's not perfect, but it's not as bad as it's made out to be...
You are right, it is worse...but there is just no words that can describe how bad it is without sounding like an anti M$ troll.

That said...

Windows 8 should get pissed on and burned so that it can have the death it deserves, I would uninstall the virtual machine I have it installed on but they will probably charge me to do that, I have to guess that simply because they deactivated one of my win7 activation keys because I wipe my machine and reinstall it all the time and apparently that is enough of a reason to legalize stealing my money from me, a consumer. Now charging me to uninstall it doesn't seem that crazy from where I stand now.

- Posted from my Windows 7 based computer with a new license key because Microsoft stole my money and I needed to buy a new one to be running legit...though officially microsoft has ackd that I will continue to use that old license with a activation bypass and they said if it allows me to use my product that is fine. So yeah go after the hackers, and then use their work to cover up and patch your mistakes and give them no credit.

Gotta love their bottom line.

My bottom line...windows 8 should go die....a quick death.

Moving to OSX was pain in the ass for me since I used WIN machines for almost 20 years. Anyway, after a month or so with OSX, you just can't, and don't want to, go back. No more 500 updates a week; no more antivirus pop-ups; no more weird erros with red X (run time errors sounds familiar?).

I was anti-OSX back then, until I put my ego aside and wanted to try for 14 days (the time frame that you can return Apple your machine and get a full refund). So I bought it, and I'm still using it. The Retina display is amazing and makes you so spoiled that you can't look at other, non-retina, displays anymore.

Just my 2 cents on M$ (Which I do run on VM for debugging purposes only).

I feel like Windows 8 is the next version of windows ME...

Will be sticking with windows 7 for the near future.

Dearest Shelley, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. It is as clear as day that Microsoft intends to appeal to hipsters who have made a mass exodus to Apple and Apple only products because Microsoft has become square. Microsoft represents the average man. Whether that man be an American businessman or a twit on the M4 driving his Audi. :love:

/sarcasm

@Adam Howard have you tried IE11 yet?

I've not yet gotten my hands on Windows 8.1 preview, so I don't yet know what IE11 final resolved...

But I did get to try a few prototype concepts & the concepts had IE11 as a metro app only... ie... no stand alone desktop version.

I do know that got some bad feedback and the last developer log suggested that it may change in Windows 8.1... ie... That they'll make it more like IE10 in that there is both the metro and desktop.

IE11 prototype did surprise me a little. It did keep to web standard more than past IE versions. So I was a little impressed. Speed wise it was no different than IE10.

Keep in mind it was an early prototype through MSDN. And those things change often.

Last edited:
Like the guy on the left? :D

pc-apple.webp

Maybe they thought if Apple can get away with unshaven models we can too, not realizing that full beards are actually not that popular.

But that ad is typical MS stuff, they just don't get marketing. Not that I like the product, but that's another discussion.

Windows 8 hate is pretty much unfounded. It's basically Win 7 with the same but updated kernel, a metro ui that you can disable and a missing start button that you can add back by yourself. There is just no sane reason to hate on Win 8.

I'm glad you realize that Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a UI shell.

Actually, there is no missing start button. Hover the cursor to the lower left and the "start button" appears. Yeah - it doesn't look round - OMG. Anyway, I just think some idiot tech "journalist" wrote that nonsense of it missing and people repeated it without verifying things for themselves. The start area is now a full page - so what? If you don't like it then pin the app to the toolbar.

OK. Enough ranting on my part. Let me just say with a passion and hint of anger: Tech journalists have got to be the dumbest beasts on this planet. I doubt they actually use any of the products they spew on about ...

PS. I prefer my iMac ;)

Top Bottom