Windows 8.1 Preview

Windows 8.0 isn't exactly as bad as people made it out to be. Sure I had to install, Classic Shell, to bring back my start menu. And I could easily overlook that, but overall I feel its a waste of money.

Stardock has some great features as well: Start8 brings back the start menu with many customizations (including the ability to boot right to desktop), Decor8 lets you change the appearance of the "modern" Win8 view, and there is now a utility that lets you use those "modern" apps inside standard windows on the desktop.

Win8 for me was well worth the money--there are so many OS refinements that it has helped my productivity. I don't even go to the modern interface unless I need a break from my desktop to play a few games or read the news.

As I've said before: I've read tons of complaints about it (many who never even installed it), yet I am here in the familiar desktop doing what I've always done, and nothing really has changed all that much. My applications work as they always have, and work gets done. At the end of the day, that is all that matters.

8.1 nearly obsoletes Start8, now that booting to the Desktop is supported. Start8 essentially just moved the Start screen into a smaller window. I'm sure it will still be used, but I can't imagine it being nearly as popular now as it has been.

Top Bottom